OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hate the beta

i really hate
    the new update
    hate hate hate
    the new update
    it not even great
    the new update
    reasons why i hate?
    why i can think of 8
    so change it back mate
    to the old update

(BTW the only good thing is colours)

1,059 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

178 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

2. Do not auto open the next email when I mark an email is junk

If you have marked a mail as a junk mail, the next mail will be opened automatically. That disturbs. I would like to move them unopened as junk mail.

1,094 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thank you for taking the time to provide all of this valuable feedback! I just wanted to update you on progress for some work.

We are happy to say that we have changed the way junk mail deletes work. Instead of opening the message automatically we return to the message list. This directly addresses the feedback that we have heard from all of you.

Hope this helps!

David Los

3. I should be able to block senders and domains from my junk folder.

I should be able to block senders and domains from the junk folder--that's why it exists. Currently, I have to copy, then go to Settings, then paste. At least on a Mac, that doesn't work. I try to copy--it says to send to the clipboard, but when I try to paste, it pastes whatever I previously copied--not the email address. So essentially, I can't block anyone. This needs to be fixed now, as spam has greatly increased lately.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

You can block a user by selecting a message(s) and then:
    - In the junk folder by clicking “Not spam” → “Block” in the top menu bar
    - In any folder by right-clicking → “Block”
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Block sender”

4. Allow Block Senders to block Top Level Domains

I am pretty sure I will NEVER need to get email from the top level domains .ru or .xyz. These messages are ALWAYS spam. just let us block these top level domains.

1,033 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can now block top-level domains in Outlook.

Go to:
    1) Settings (gear icon in top right)
    2) Click “View full settings”
    3) Click “Junk email”
    4) Scroll to “Blocked domains” section
    5) Type in a domain name you want to block (For example, if I want to block all emails from @blockeddomain.com, enter “blockeddomain.com”
    6) Click “Add”

5. 16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We have just released an option to switch to more saturated calendar colors in the new Outlook.

If you would like to try out this experience, please click on the gear icon in the top right of your calendar module to access your settings, and toggle “Bold event colors”.

6. New feedback

The new look of Outlook is childish and garish. Hate the ident things, hate 'today' and 'yesterday' - I am an intelligent adult and can tell when things were sent. I'd change my email if it wasn't such a pain to do. THIS IS DISGUSTING. I am so angry.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

7. FADE COLOURS

PLEASE MAKE SOMETHING WITH THE COLOURS.BRING BACK THE PREVIOUS COLOURS OR MAKE THE NEW A LITTLE MORE DARKER.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! We have just released an option to switch to more saturated calendar colors in the new Outlook.

If you would like to try out this experience, please click on the gear icon in the top right of your calendar module to access your settings, and toggle “Bold event colors”.

8. Hate the bubbles with initials on it. I can see their name and it causes less emails to be displayed, meaning more scrolling for me.

Disable the initial bubbles. Or make them smaller. If you are going to use colours, let the user decide which colours to use. Black for advertising, blue for family, red for friend, etc. It would make it much easier to scroll through and find something you are looking for.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. bring bak my old outlook it so much friendly user. no fuss no muss just check my e-mail and its done

Bring bak my old outlook it so much easyer to get to no fuss no muss get my idea there?

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Outlook.com, and for providing all of this great feedback. Based on your feedback, I think we have an option that will adjust the mail view into one that you like. You can turn off the reading pane view, this will give you the old view like you had in the old outlook.com with messages only showing when you click on them.

Follow these steps, and you will get your mail in one view

1) Click on the Gear in the top right
    2) This opens the Quick Settings pane. From here you can either turn the reading pane off, move it to the bottom, or on the right.

Hope this helps!

David Los

10. New feedback

why doesn't the sweep feature work on my email? This is starting to get frustrating. Stop fixing this until it's broke, PLEASE!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

11. Missing deleted / junk mail

With the latest format, I'm unable to find a way to view deleted messages or messages that were sent to junk mail.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

12. Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

208 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

13. WHERE IS MY OUTBOX

I CAN'T FIND MY OUTBOX - ANY IDEAS

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

14. Ability to change default font and size

I want the ability to change the default font in the beta, and also change the font size.

639 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

114 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback and support.

For people who want to change the default font face and font size when they write email, the Setting has been available under Mail > Compose and reply > Message format (the direct link there is https://outlook.live.com/mail/options/mail/messageContent)

For people who want to make their regular Outlook.com page use a larger text size, we’d like to encourage the use of their browser’s built-in Zoom functions. Since received content is primarily formatted by the sender, using the browser’s Zoom is the best way to preserve the fidelity of all received content.

Once again, thank you for reaching out.

15. Calendar

In the old calendar, I had all my appointments colour coded (Medical, Classes, various categories etc.) and was very impressed with how it all synced with my iPhone and iPad but now the colours dont come up the same and it the calendar looks very enimic. I wish I could go back to the old way. As I printed out the calendar to put on wall and could follow everything clearly, since the changes I have had trouble printing the calendar etc.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16. Keyboard shortcuts not working

I'm trying the new open beta. In this preview, the keyboard shortcuts are not working. Even tried with different kb-shortcuts like Outlook.com, Gmail, ... It is set to Outlook (not Outlook.com) by default. The shortcuts were working in the old layout. Please fix ASAP.

492 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

275 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Beta has changed the format of my outlook email, formerly hotmail. I cannot use it adequately. Please help.

If your users are dissatisfied, it would make sense to change back because BETA is causing headaches. Dissatisfied users will jump ship.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

18. Restore email address to message header

The sender's email address has been removed from the header so that only the display name is disclosed. I know I can click on the display name but that is work.

It also opens the door for spoofing if an attacker includes an email address in his display name though I have not tried to see if there is a mitigation in place.

718 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. In the beta version, "Create rule..." from message is not available. Bummer.

When I get an email, in the existing version of outlook web, I can just select the message and "Create rule..."
    to send that message to a folder or forward it to another email ID

In outlook.com Beta, I do not see that feature.

688 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re happy to say “Create rule” from a message is now in the beta! Same as the regular version, simply right-click on any message and select this option. You can also view your entire list of rules (including those you created in your regular Outlook) by going into Full settings > Mail > Rules.

Currently you can only create a rule to move messages from selected senders to a folder, however, more options are coming soon!

20. show from

When writing an email, I'd like the option to always display the FROM line as a default. I use several email addresses and this would let me know which one is in use at any time.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you very much for providing the valuable feedback and for using Outlook.com. We truly do appreciate it!

I did want to let you know that based on your feedback, we have added back the FROM drop down on the compose form when you have multiple email accounts/aliases.

We hope that this helps improve the new Client experience for everyone.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Thanks

David Los

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base