OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keep it simple.

Email isn't for emojis & bright colors. Keep it clean and simple. There's too much noise everywhere else in the world.

I use my personal email to communicate with friends and family. I don't need to be entertained and over stimulated by gimmicks. I just want to send a message and easily find the ones I've received.

596 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

56 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I want to thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback on the new experience.

I know that a few different topics got merged down into this suggestion, so I wanted to offer some broad guidance on how you might configure the new experience to get it to look more like what you want.

Lets start off with the feedback about not wanting the bright colored circles, emojis, and joyful animations. All of these can be disabled. Click on the gear in the top right hand corner, this will load the quick setting pane. From here first disable the Sender Photos. This removes the colored circles with initials.

Then continue to scroll down and select view all Options. In this options page select Compose and Reply. In this page look for Joyful animations. turning this off will eliminate the…

2. Go back to old hotmail version - NO outlook

I dont like neither of the Outlook templates, the beta or the actual version. I use to love my hotmail template with my marks emails appearing first and everything most simple. Now with Outlook if I don't see it on my iphone, some of thenew emails that aririves to me doesn't appear in my home page and I have to look for them on "search" and and if it was not enough the "send" botton stopped working a few days ago and they haven't solve it so I cants send emails if is not trhough te awful beta version.

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

3. 2,328 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

227 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve now made it possible to block users in non-junk folders.

Select one or more emails and click the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

Note: To block users in the Junk email folder, select the “Not junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

4. Beta not good for me

The new version is not good because the many parameters and adjustable options of the old version have disappeared. I need to be able to set more than what is possible in the new version, as rules of messages, aliases, ....

306 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – First off, I just wanted to thank everyone for responding and providing all of the valuable feedback. More importantly I also want to thank you for using Outlook.com.

I did want to update everyone and let them know that we have re-introduced all of the options that were in the old experience. This took a bit of time, as we wanted to make sure we were designing simplified experiences for everyone.

Please keep the great feedback coming!

David Los

5. add attendee

There is no way to add someone to a meeting in the edit menu. Seriously?!?

401 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

169 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Advanced search

How do I do an advanced search in the beta? Specifically, how do I search by date?

275 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

162 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – I just wanted to let you know that we have enabled search date ranges in the new Outlook.com experience.

If you click into the search bar at the top of the screen, you will see a filter view in the right of the search box. If you click that you can see you can now enter date ranges.

Hope this helps!

David Los

7. MISSING folders

I want Hotmail back the way it was. I do not like the change. Some of my folders have been deleted.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

8. Selecting multiple items in Junk folder

Older version allows you to select multiple items, even all items, in Junk and report them as phishing scams. This beta does not and that is a big fail for me.

1,768 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 'Message can't be displayed at the moment'

'Message can't be displayed at the moment'
    Please check your internet connection or try again later.
    My speed 50 to 80 mbs, ping 10 upload speed 12.5mbs
    Yet unable to open emails but can on other sites and other areas of the internet, WOT WOS run fine?
    Could not solve problem.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I am sorry for any bugs or problems you hit in the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working hard to address these issues. I just tested and confirmed that I am not seeing this problem any more.

Can you give it another try and report back by opening up a new feedback thread or contacting support from within Outlook.com?

Thanks

David Los

10. categories with colors in calendar

I liked the previous feature of having categories with different colors in the calendar. Having colors makes it easier for me to know what should be done, compared to charms. eg have a red category for deadlines and a green for completed. that way i briefly scan my calendar page and i know all the information i need.

346 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

92 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. double click email / Pop Out

I want to double click my message to see the full message rather than the squashed preview, it's missing some information unless I scroll the preview pane.

878 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

419 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. The multi-select feature does NOT work correctly on the new Beta Outlook.com

Although you can select ALL using the checkbox icon at the top of the email list, you can't UNSELECT (or DESELECT) individual emails. I tried clicking individual email checkboxes (results in all emails unselected) and I tried ctrl+clicking the email (same result). This is a major fail.

1,620 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Get rid of the "focused/other" folders

Still don't like the "focused/other" distinction, especially since a lot of important stuff ends up in "other". There's already the junk folder to get rid of useless e-mails, I don't need another filter, especially one that decides for me what's important and what's not.

1,225 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

415 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! I fully understand that the Focused/Other feature is one that might take a little getting used to, and might not fit everyone’s workflow.

The good news I have is that you can turn this feature off yourself:

1. Go to Settings
    2. Where it says Sort messages into Focused and other, toggle it to Off

https://support.office.com/article/Get-help-with-the-Outlook-com-beta-fa2e5110-fa17-4b3b-88c8-87812230a048

Let me know if this doesn’t work. Please keep the feedback flowing, we’d love to make the beta experience an amazing one for you!

14. Ads

I'm tiring of see ads in outllook, im my case on the right side of messages. If they can't be removed I am moving to gmail

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback, and for using Outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you know that we do offer an Ad free experience of Outlook.com to all of our Office 365 subscribers. With the Office 365 subscription you get a wide range of benefits. This includes Skype calling, ability to install the Office client (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc), and finally ad free experience in Outlook.com

Hope this helps

David Los

15. back to inbox

When I delete an email, I don't want to go to previous or next email. I want it to go back to my inbox. When I select do nothing, it stays on the deleted email and I have to click on Inbox to verify it was deleted and get back to inbox. The old version just went back to inbox.

356 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can change this setting yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Quick Settings (gear icon in the top right) → View full settings → Mail → Layout
    2. Scroll to the Reading Pane section
    3. Under the option: “What do you want to happen when you move or delete the item you are viewing?”, pick the option: “Return to the message list”

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

16. Restore the option to use Categories / Labels / Tags

Hello,

In the current Outlook Mail you can have both Folders and Categories / Labels / Tags.

Could you enable it for the new Outlook as well?

Thank You.

1,415 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve heard your feedback and have rebuilt categories with some added features!

You can now easily apply a custom category and give it a name and color of your choice by either clicking the “Categorize” button in the top menu bar or by right-clicking on an email and going to “Categorize”. You can also filter a category by directly clicking on it in your list of emails.

We have even more innovation planned soon for categories. For more help on using categories, please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-categories-in-outlook-com-a0f709a4-9bd8-45d7-a2b3-b6f8c299e079#bkmk_beta

17. 1,133 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: A checkbox has always been available in the message list for you to select multiple items with. Moving your mouse cursor over the colored circles that have sender pictures (on the left side in the message list), you will find an unfilled checkbox for you to check. You can perform multi-select actions this way, before deleting.

18. dark/night mode is essential

Nowadays a dark or night mode is a necessary feature IMO.

1,073 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

379 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is my greatest pleasure to share this piece of news with you: Dark Mode is here, on the new Outlook.com!

What is Dark Mode?
    Dark Mode is a more-pleasant way to read your Outlook.com email if you prefer interfaces that are less bright or if you are in a low-light environment. Dark Mode is available on the new Outlook.com experience (formerly known as the Outlook.com Beta experience) only.

How do I turn it on?
    To turn on Dark Mode, open the Quick Settings panel by selecting the Gear icon at the top of your screen. The option to enable Dark Mode is near the top of the panel, immediately under Theme selection. If your browser is unable to support Dark Mode, consider using Microsoft Edge.

Why is Dark Mode not a theme?
    When we designed Dark Mode, we debated having it exist in Outlook.com as a theme. We quickly…

19. Trouble with printing emails

When I try to print certain emails, it will only print what was in the inbox or the entire webpage as one page. Exiting beta allowed me to print only the email directly.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

121 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, Thank you all for using the new outlook.com experience and for reporting feedback!

I just wanted to let you all know that over the last few months we have been working on improving and ensuring the print experience is working as you expect.

All of the known bugs and issues should be resolved. Please give printing another try. And as always, please leave any feedback you may have!

20. 25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base