OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dark theme/mode for the phone app?

Dark theme/mode for the phone app?

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,711 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

202 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

3. Why don't allow us to log out?! Please direct us on how to log out.

Why don't allow us to log out?! Please direct us on how to log out.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! In order to log out, click on the profile icon in the top right corner of the window. This is a round icon with either your profile image or your initials.

When you click this icon, a pane will expand. “Sign out” is one of the options on this pane.

Colin

4. Automatically Block Entire Domain if 3 or More Emails Blocked w/Same Domain

Automatically block an entire email domain if a user has blocked three or more email addresses of the same domain.

(excluding major domains like Gmail, Live, Outlook, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc)

Example:
    adfaqxamafe@uniquedomain.com
    iuyw@uniquedomain.com

If necessary, include a setting to disable/enable this rule.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multiple Email Reminder

Please add Multiple Email Reminder option while booking an event - this was always there in your old design/format.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone, we actually support email reminders in the new version of Outlook!

First, click on the calendar event to open it up. Then you will see a bell that says “Remind me:”. Click on “Remind me:” to open the reminder option menu. In order to add an email reminder, scroll to the bottom of that menu and click on “Add email reminder”, You can then add as many email reminders as you want!

Colin

6. Fix the subscription feature or delete it.

Fix the subscription feature or delete it.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. GET RID OF FOCUSED MAIL NOW!

Get rid of the focused mail!, just sort by date cause i have to go through extra steps to find mail thats not there cause it didnt meet the criteria of focused, whatever that may be.

332 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

191 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using outlook.com, and for providing such great actionable feedback!

I just wanted to let you all know that if you don’t like the Focused Inbox, you are able to easily disable it. When you disable it you will get all of your inbox items in a single view.

To do this, do the following:

1) Click on the Gear in the top right,
    2) this opens the Quick Settings Pane, from here look for Focused Inbox. Turn it off.

Hope this helps!

8. Slow respond

advertisement load faster than mail

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 4 column layout is not good for reading email content.

the screen is separated into 4 columns: folder list, email subject list, email content and ads. I do not mind ads but it takes a huge potion of screen if 4 columns!
    I can't read the email content in such a small column area!
    No one write an email that expected people read in column!

1,112 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

201 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for all of the valuable feedback. We review it all and try to ensure we are addressing things! I just wanted to give some updates about all of the feedback about the multiple columns

We totally understand that some of you really do not enjoy the multi column or reading pane on the right hand side.

So we have introduced a few quick settings that will allow you to configure the experience in a way that is pleasing to you.

Once you are logged into your mailbox (and in the Beta) do the following
    1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner
    2) This will show the Quick Settings Pane
    3) The items you will likely want to configure are Reading Pane. For this you can Either turn it off, have it on the bottom, or on the right.
    4) Message…

10. Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,559 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

190 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 11/1:

Now, when you see a single sender in the message list, you can hover over the sender name to see the full email address. Also, when in the reading pane, senders that are not in your safe sender’s list or contacts list will have their full email addresses shown as well.

Thanks for using the Outlook.com beta!

11. Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,854 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

287 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

12. "empty folder" option on inbox is dangerous

please disable the "empty folder" option when right clicking on inbox

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback.

I just wanted to send a quick update and let you know that you can indeed log out of Outlook.com. If you click on the Me Control (your name/picture) at the top right hand corner. From there you should see a Sign Out/Log out option.

This will close your session and sign you out of outlook.com.

Hope this helps

David Los

14. No way to block unwanted email/domains

Please correct the junk email box icons to allow customers to put in block emails and save them. The save icon does not work at all.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Rules Not Working

I have several emails that are supposed to go to specific folders, but here recently I see them either in my inbox or in my spam folder. Why aren't my rules working anymore?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.

In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.

In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:

- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”

- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition…

16. Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

248 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

17. show date and time of our reply to a message

Lost feature: in the Classic version, showing at the top of a received message isa notation of the date and time when we replied to that message. It used to say, "you replied 10/19/2018, 7:34 am." Once I saw that confirmation, I knew whether to delete or move that received email from my inbox.

This feature is important, as it confirms not only that I have replied and that the message was sent successfully, it allows me to easily reference that reply in follow up emails. I can easily search for and confirm the content of my reply by accessing…

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Don't Like Delete Icon 'popping up' in the Inbox, when the deleted email is reachable in the Deleted Folder.

I don't like the feature that 'pops up' (on the "Inbox") when one deletes an email. (It states: "Deleted" and "Undo".) It is very distracting and hides / covers up upcoming emails on the Inbox list. - What is the purpose to retrieve it (deleted email) from our regular 'delete folder'? WE CAN JUST GO TO OUR DELETED FOLDER. - If you were to find a way to bring up deleted emails (deleted from the delete folder) that would be a good feature. But to have an icon pop-up in the Inbox with every time we click to delete an…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option to turn off Conversation view

Please allow option to turn off conversation view.

911 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

305 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback and sharing your opinions. Also I want to thank you for using outlook.com!

Now I just wanted to take a moment and provide you an update around some of the conversation view settings. There has been some folks that rather not have the conversation view, and return to the older style of viewing. I am happy to say that this is now an option

To do this do the following:

1) Go to the Gear menu in the top of the new outlook.com experience
    2) This opens the quick settings pane.
    3) For Conversation View, you can select Off. This will put you back into the experience you are more used to.

Finally, you can also change the sort order (newest on top, newest on bottom). This should give you the same flexibility that you had…

20. See more emails and not more advertising

Please, don't add advertising on our page of outlook or, if it's not possible, put them on the right side of the emails and very thin, so that way we will be able to see a lot of the emails that we have received and not only one or two as now.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using outlook.com and providing the great feedback! We are constantly looking at ways of improving our ad experience. I did want to let you know that if you have an Office 365 subscription, you actually do get an Ad Free Outlook.com experience as well as more space!

Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming.

David Los

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base