OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 column layout is not good for reading email content.

the screen is separated into 4 columns: folder list, email subject list, email content and ads. I do not mind ads but it takes a huge potion of screen if 4 columns!
    I can't read the email content in such a small column area!
    No one write an email that expected people read in column!

1,113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

201 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for all of the valuable feedback. We review it all and try to ensure we are addressing things! I just wanted to give some updates about all of the feedback about the multiple columns

We totally understand that some of you really do not enjoy the multi column or reading pane on the right hand side.

So we have introduced a few quick settings that will allow you to configure the experience in a way that is pleasing to you.

Once you are logged into your mailbox (and in the Beta) do the following
    1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner
    2) This will show the Quick Settings Pane
    3) The items you will likely want to configure are Reading Pane. For this you can Either turn it off, have it on the bottom, or on the right.
    4) Message…

2. Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,560 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

185 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 11/1:

Now, when you see a single sender in the message list, you can hover over the sender name to see the full email address. Also, when in the reading pane, senders that are not in your safe sender’s list or contacts list will have their full email addresses shown as well.

Thanks for using the Outlook.com beta!

3. Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,853 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

282 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

4. Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

242 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

5. show date and time of our reply to a message

Lost feature: in the Classic version, showing at the top of a received message isa notation of the date and time when we replied to that message. It used to say, "you replied 10/19/2018, 7:34 am." Once I saw that confirmation, I knew whether to delete or move that received email from my inbox.

This feature is important, as it confirms not only that I have replied and that the message was sent successfully, it allows me to easily reference that reply in follow up emails. I can easily search for and confirm the content of my reply by accessing…

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback.

I just wanted to send a quick update and let you know that you can indeed log out of Outlook.com. If you click on the Me Control (your name/picture) at the top right hand corner. From there you should see a Sign Out/Log out option.

This will close your session and sign you out of outlook.com.

Hope this helps

David Los

7. See more emails and not more advertising

Please, don't add advertising on our page of outlook or, if it's not possible, put them on the right side of the emails and very thin, so that way we will be able to see a lot of the emails that we have received and not only one or two as now.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using outlook.com and providing the great feedback! We are constantly looking at ways of improving our ad experience. I did want to let you know that if you have an Office 365 subscription, you actually do get an Ad Free Outlook.com experience as well as more space!

Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming.

David Los

8. Option to turn off Conversation view

Please allow option to turn off conversation view.

908 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

298 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback and sharing your opinions. Also I want to thank you for using outlook.com!

Now I just wanted to take a moment and provide you an update around some of the conversation view settings. There has been some folks that rather not have the conversation view, and return to the older style of viewing. I am happy to say that this is now an option

To do this do the following:

1) Go to the Gear menu in the top of the new outlook.com experience
    2) This opens the quick settings pane.
    3) For Conversation View, you can select Off. This will put you back into the experience you are more used to.

Finally, you can also change the sort order (newest on top, newest on bottom). This should give you the same flexibility that you had…

9. Keep Notes Section In Calendar Event

When making a calendar event in the current Outlook.com there is a section to add notes. This is missing in the Beta Calendar. Notes are visible in the Beta from entries made in the current Outlook.com Calendar but you are unable to edit them. I use the notes section to remind me of details about calendar events. The loss of this option would force me to use a different Calendar app/service.

763 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

319 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Safelinks isn't working

I can't click any link in any e-mail on any device.
    Service Unavailable
    HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thank you for reporting the issues you have been having with safelinks. There was a bug that did impact the safelinks for a short period of time. This has since been resolved and everything should be operating normally.

If you are seeing anything else, please feel free to reach back out!

Thanks

David Los

11. Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

425 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. the look and feel

The look and feel is just terrible. There is way too much going on. I would like to keep it simple just like with the current UI. If this beta doesnt change and goes to production I am definitely switching over to gmail

994 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

13. Update is the worst.

Your update has made your email service completely unusable. This is the worst. I can't even figure out how to delete multiple emails on the desktop version. Disappointed as it is such a pain to have to change my email over to a new service. I have had the same email for years. But since the update I can not even be bothered.

Sometimes simple is better. You have completely wrecked everything that was great about hotmail.

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

14. It is not functional, it disperses me, before I found everything much faster. I do not like. Thanks for letting me comment.

It is not functional, it disperses me, before I found everything much faster. I do not like. Thanks for letting me comment.

413 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

15. Don't show the Splash screen each time

If you're trying to chase me away from using Outlook, you're on the right track. Do I have to click to remove the popup announcement about the "improved" Outlook every single time I sign in? Do all the swell new features you crow about cause the extreme slowness of the system? Do you think people might not want your brilliant innovations forced on them, they're happy with things as they were?

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all – I just wanted to provide a quick update. We were able to get a patch pushed out which disabled the spalsh screen that some of you were seeing on each login.

You should not be seeing the issue any more. However, I do want to let you know that it is highly likely that you will see it one more time in the coming days. As the fix to the bug roles out it will trigger the screen just one more time.

Thank you for reporting this issue, and sorry for the annoyance it caused!

Thanks

David Los

16. It's a mess.

It's a mess. Someone went wild with the crayons. I'm an adult; I want my emails to be displayed in clean, clear and succinct manner. It's Email, not the next great novel. Stop trying to fix what isn't broken. The old hotmail was clean, and now I'm dealing with Focus and Other - sheer idiocy, so don't make worse than it is!

217 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

17. Bring back the Skype integration

The Skype ias apparently gone from Outlook.com beta, as the Skype button near the Settings cog icon is nowhere to be found. I think many users didn't like the integration (there was no way to completely disable it) but it still was a nice feature for Skype users.

2,683 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

505 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update January 2018:

Skype is back! :)

More improvements to the Skype integration will come in the future, but for now, please enjoy the upgraded Skype chat experience!

P.S.: If you wish to mute notifications, you can do so in the Settings panel under General > Skype > Notifications.

18. Sucks.....

Sucks.. Like sucks.. Every update it get worst.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

19. Hard to tell between read and unread messages

I liked some of the ideas being used in beta, but I hate the new layout! I found it far less readable. It was more difficult to differentiate between read and unread messages quickly. I'd love the option to change the layout to what I prefer. It was enough to make me opt out.

2,683 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  253 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Where has the "Move all email from" option gone?

Where has the "Move all email from" option gone? It is no longer available under the "Move to" drop-down menu. I used to be able to open an email message, choose "Move to", then choose "Move all email from", it would auto-fill the sender from the selected message, then I would select a folder, and it would sweep my inbox and move all emails from that sender to a folder. I no longer see that option. The "Sweep" option only gives an option to delete. Very frustrating!

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

116 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base