OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we make Outlook Customer Manager better?

disable outlook customer maanger

Provide option t administratively disable Outlook Customer Manager for Office 365 Business Prem subscription

19 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently working on a fix for this. As a workaround: remove the license in the admin center and then delete the app in the user’s Addin’s view. If you want to disable it for a few users, please remove the licenses and contact support. you can reenable, by adding the license again and then the app will be installed within the next 24 hours.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so.... M$ isn't really working on this and even not allowing to post things about their shadey operation.
        the fact the M$ thinks is OK to "put" an app out there (and the heck with everyone) is just WRONG.
        unfortunatlly... I had to go throght each and every user, and manually disable EVERY O365 feature that is not a must!
        but I'm just another small time dissapointed costumer :(

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a update on this? Disabling a user's license still requires to manually remove the user's add-in.. thanks

• Brian Monaghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just noticed today that they have finally setup a "License" for customer manager that can be disabled. Of course, it was not communicated to us that this was now possible. I have no idea how long this option has been available.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. There is no clear way to block this. The only way I have found to remove it is individually on each computer. Unacceptable.

• unhappy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another feature is deployed as "enabled" without the foresight to have a way that the customer can disable it if they don't want it or it doesn't fit in their business.

I've had multiple complaints to Microsoft over releasing other features such as Yammer, Office 365 Groups, Sway, Delve, etc. in an enabled by default state. These cause my users as well as the IT team a lot of frustration. Users think IT gave them new tools without training and submit tickets. IT has to handle the tickets find a way to disable until we determine if the new feature/tool is something that will provide value to the business.

While innovation and new features are necessary for progress, not all features fit into every business model and certainly a usecase should be evaluated and rollout communication and training to the end users.

It would be in the best interest of Microsoft to be able avoid upsetting tenants by releasing features as "disabled" and providing communication to the tenant base of the use and value of the new feature and instructions of how to enable if it meets the needs and desires the tenants business model. The single biggest drawback of cloud services is the arrogance to think that just because a feature is new it fits and should be adapted by every tenant.

Not sure how disabling the license in the admin center is a valid work around. I checked in the UI, and the PowerShell API. There is no license for Customer Manager.

• oicurmt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Case in point: organization using Dynamics 365 for CRM. Suddenly, Outlook Customer Manager gets deployed, people start fiddling with it, they discover the group in O365 SharePoint, where files, notes, and other customer interactions begin to get posted. None of which belongs anywhere but in the existing CRM, Dynamics 365. Did not need the additional work cleaning up this MESS. What on earth were you thinking? We were just getting traction on Dynamics 365 adoption in a freakishly change resistant environment, and now this freakishly poor decision to force CRM light with no ability to disable lands a body blow to credibility. Think, please.

Need a way to disable Outlook Customer Manager. Additionally - all new features should be turned off by default when launched. It is truly unacceptable to launch these sorts of features into an organization -- where users need to be instructed on how and when to use the feature, and then provide no way to turn it off. Sit and think for a minute, you have a 100 user organization, that already has a couple of CRM systems in place. This Outlook Customer Manager all of a sudden pops up in Outlook, and everyone thinks ohh - we must be using that now (surely IT turned it on because they wanted us to use it) and everyone starts using it ad-hoc. Meanwhile existing workflows in the organization are completely destroyed, and productivity lost, because there is simply no way to turn this feature off. Now we have to scramble to communicate to the users what is going on and correct the problem. I am absolutely sick and tired of having to come on these forms (IN THE CASE OF MULTIPLE FEATURES), and request a way to turn this off. The answer is always the same - "ohh we didn't think anyone would want to turn this off" -- but maybe if we escalate this up the chain someone has the authority to manually switch this off using some hacked method. Please communicate to your PM team that this kind of stuff is truly unacceptable for many organizations - and by following your current path, you continuedly to alienate customers. Additionally – the Office 365 “message center” does not support a way to email information about launches when they’re happening. You actually have to LOG IN and read the messages – why is it so hard to support sending them as emails??? Thank you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base