OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac - Business

Add Preference to Disable/Enable Left-Right Swiping in Mailbox

Users with a Magic Mouse/TrackPad have likely experienced, as I have, that when selecting messages in a mailbox (Inbox, drafts, Sent, etc.), it is far too easy to swipe left or right and show the options to "Delete" or "Archive" a message. I'm sure this is necessary on a mobile device, but on a desktop device using an input like Magic Mouse, it is really annoying. It could also be potentially dangerous if you accidentally Delete or Archive a message unknowingly.

There should be an preference/option to disable that swiping gesture from the message list.

379 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jim Farrell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard Steck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! I had a problem, found an issue posted about it, and got an update when it was closed? Absolutely fantastic! Thank you Microsoft.

• Wendy Torres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Admin (Mac Outlook Team) for adding the feature in preferences. In a business setting you have no idea how great it is to be able to customize that feature so once again. Thank you, thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Anonymous, was this just added? THANK YOU ALL! I never hated a feature as much as I hate this one.

• RAMASAMY JAYAPRAKASH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The swipe left to Delete feature should be added and it should be customizable, as someone would want it to be "Archive" while others would want something else...

**** GUYS THERE IS A WAY TO TURN THIS FEATURE OFF ****

Outlook > Preferences > Email "Reading "> Go to "swipe gestures" set both to "none" to disable this feature

That's it! hope it helps

ATTENTION ALL! I

n Outlook Version 16.11, there is now a way to disable the swipe feature! Under Outlook->Preferences->Reading, there is an option for "Swipe Gestures", one each for Swipe left and Swipe right. Both can be set to "None" for those who do not like this behavior.

I HATE USING OUTLOOK NOW BECAUSE OF THIS--it in no way improves my work experience! I am using a _desktop PC_ NoT a smart phone. It makes sense in the context of a smart phone, BUT NOT A PC! AND DO NOT PROVIDE A WAY TO DISABLE IT, AND INSTEAD DIRECT USERS TO 'VOTE'?!

Are you kidding me?! #$#@#$()

• Wendy Torres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this and you should also be able to change what the options of the sliding feature if you decide to keep it on.

• Peter Eier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terrible feature this swiping feature in a desktop/laptop app. Please make it something we can turn on or off via settings in Outlook/Office.

Not only does this un-needed feature cause potential errors, it tends to make simply reading the messages difficult, as you have to keep your finger right in the center of the Magic Mouse or the sliding begins (without actually selecting the message). Very poor for this useless feature. Take it away or provide an off switch please.

• Jean-Francois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally hate this option, I keep deleting emails by mistake when browsing through them. Please provide an option to disable this or just remove it completely. It's driving me NUTS! Really bad feature and not needed!

Never hated a feature as much as I hate this one. What were they thinking? A MAC is not a PC or a iPhone. It's a MAC. I don't want to swipe right or left accidentally or on purpose, EVER.

I VOTE to have this new feature disabled. Is there a way I can just delete my update and go back to the older version?

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE allow us to disable this feature, it's driving me NUTS!

• Tebs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a feature to disable the swipe to archive/delete

• Michael Margolis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Anonymous commented · February 21, 2018 1:05 PM · Flag as inappropriate
        This "feature" is VERY annoying. I shouldn't have to disable "swipe between pages" on Mac just to stop a new "feature" in one application!"

That does not stop this for me. I would gladly sacrifice swiping between pages to loose this "feature" in Outlook!

Using a Magic Mouse 2, I turned that option off in Mouse Preferences and Trackpad preferences, and it still happens.

← Previous 1 3 4

Outlook for Mac - Business: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base