OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Mac - Business

Remove the incredibly annoying 'stars' next to folders as everyone I know keeps clicking them by mistake.

Remove the incredibly annoying 'stars' next to folders as everyone I know keeps clicking them by mistake.

95 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pierre de Theux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove the annoying star next to the folders that hide the number of unread emails

Very annoying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm 90% positive the Mac development team just thinks up changes and makes them without actually EVER ONCE USING THE MAC CLIENT. This is INSANELY BAD USER EXPERIENCE.

A SINGLE USER TESTING THIS WOULDN'T HAVE LET THIS GO OUT THE GATE.

How do you not have a QA team seeing how these changes impact usability? Get your stuff together, MS Mac Outlook team.

Further details from Outlook for MAC v15.38: Looking at the mail folders in the left-hand pane; on mouseover, a 'favourite' toggle star appears to the right of the folder row.

The location of this toggle star is the same place as the blue 'unread count'. As a result, when a user goes to click on the unread count number to view their mail (instinctively; blue being the colour of a link) the number switches to the toggle star, and they find that they have inadvertently favourited (or, more frustratingly, unfavourited) a folder, all without opening said folder.

I suggest you change the location of the favourite toggle star to appear on left of the folder row. This would still appear on mouseover, but wouldn’t replace the unread count number, and thus eliminate unintentional favourite toggling.

Please remove the annoying star next to the folders that hide the number of unread emails

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes-move the ability to set a folder as a Favorite to the right-click menu. A vanishing star icon doesn't really say much.

• Lukas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the only function of the star is to tell you that your mouse pointer is hovering over that folder... i really wish i had a chance to meet that person who designed this "function" and ask him one simple question:"WHY?"

• Bent Flyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And they hide the number of unread mails at folder mouseover. Please move ASAP as this is a violation of user guidelines by stacking two functions on top of each other.

Outlook for Mac - Business: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base