OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Edit Offline for SharePoint libraries synced to Outlook

The Office team is planning to deprecate the "Edit Offline" functionality for SharePoint documents synced to Outlook. Our telemetry shows that this functionality is infrequently used, but we wanted to provide an open forum for users to provide their feedback on this change.

We recommend you sync SharePoint libraries to your computer using the OneDrive sync client, which does let you edit offline and saves your changes to SharePoint once you go back online. Link to learn more about syncing SharePoint files with the OneDrive sync client: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Sync-SharePoint-files-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-6de9ede8-5b6e-4503-80b2-6190f3354a88

Please leave us a comment below if the recommended alternative does not fulfill your needs, or if you have other feedback.

0 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminDesktop Outlook 2016 UserVoice (Customer Support Agent, Outlook.com) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Comments are closed
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this feature frequently. Outlook is my primary productivity tools, and being able to launch editable documents saved on SharePoint really helps with my workload. Please don't deprecate this feature.

• Vesa Jaskari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bad idea. Cannot understand, what benefit this brings to me? Only extra steps. Especially, when OneDrive is not always used in every computer, where Offline Edit would be needed.

• Maria I Espino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why in the world would this feature be deprecated from Outlook when MOST PEOPLE actually use Outlook more than ANY OTHER Office software ever? That really makes ZERO sense.

• Carmelo Lubrano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a bad idea...

Many of our users link directly to their department Sharepoint document folders through Outlook... where it is 1 click to open a file... and 1 click to save it back to its cloud location...

Without this ability, users now have to open O365, authenicate, click Sharepoint, locate their department site, open documents, find the doc and open using Word or Word Online... many many more steps...

And the recommendation to sync your department Sharepoint library to your local drive is not a safe option, as institutional department data should never reside on a local, mobile drive... as laptops can get stolen or lost...

And from our experience the sync abilities on the OneDrive client are not always reliable..

Why not leave the option?

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base