OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Windows (Desktop application)

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to view attachments in the preview pane via windows explorer.

When viewing saved emails from Outlook 2016 in windows explorer using the preview pane, the feature to see whether an email contains an attachment has been removed for Outlook 2013.

I'd like to see this option added back.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Backspace key in message list should delete selected message, not navigate to random folder

In most windows apps, the Backspace key will delete the current selection, just like the Delete key does. In Outlook's email list, however, backspace will navigate to an unpredictable folder instead of deleting the currently selected message.

This change would be particularly helpful for users who are switching to Windows from the Mac where Backspace is the primary key used for deleting stuff. Or for users running Windows on Mac laptops where there is no Delete key, only backspace.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring back the "Show AutoPreview only for unread messages" feature

Outlook 2010 had the ability to show Auto Preview only for read messages. Lack of this feature in Outlook 2016 dramatically reduces the number of mails that I can view without scrolling. For example, my Inbox today in Outlook 2016 shows less than half as many messages as the same Inbox in Outlook 2010.

My work day usually involves 10-20 email conversations. Being able to see them all on the same page without scrolling is important to my efficiency at work. Please bring this feature back!

The "Unread Mail" link above the messages list is not an acceptable substitute (and…

1,087 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

208 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please make it possible to resize images when attaching to an email and ability to resize inbound email image attachments

Please make it possible to resize images when attaching to an email.

Also, we receive a great deal of customer inbound images and it would be nice if I could reduce the size (mb/pixels) of image attachments. I don’t need the images to be 12mb when 46kb will give me enough of a picture.

217 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Sticky Notes or Notes to emails in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Keep 'open item' emails in my inbox, and while we can categorize them to help them remember what's what, it would be very helpful if we could add a simple note to the Inbox view (i.e. without having to open the email), just saying "with John for review", or "sent to group, awaiting feedback", or "chase by Friday".

Perhaps the 'comment' functionality from Office could work, with just a little speech bubble that opens when hovered over - this would make my life MUCH easier!
    Also, it would be good to attach a little sticky note to an email for…

512 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

182 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. OneNote like shortcut keys when composing email

I love OneNote and Outlook, however, a lot of the shortcut keys are not available when composing emails for formatting. Would be nice to leverage shortcut keys that do not overlap with existing keys, such as CTRL + . (period) for a bullet list.

Just a thought.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to send from outlook using alias accounts

Please add the ability to send from an email alias from within the software (instead of having to use the online version to do so).

The user interface and features of the desktop version of Outlook are much better than the online version and I would like to be able to do all my communicating from there. However, without the ability to send from my other alias emails, I cannot do so. Thank you.

291 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Email count by group heading

I would like to see how many emails are in the groupings I select. For example, number of emails by Date grouping (today, yesterday...); or number of emails by sender in From grouping; or number of emails by Subject grouping.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. List of attachements in Mailheader and Add a search option then you click FILE from the Outlook menu bar

Hello, how in some versions on outlook before 2016 presented, I need the possibility to show many attachments in form of list in the mail (with whole filename and maybe with size of file in one line). In version 2016 I have only the view of many attachments with huge symbols beside filename. In case of long filenames they are cut and it's not possible to see them all in one view.
    If possible please provide an option to sort or re arrange the files attached to an email so we can sort or set them as required.
    I only…

266 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve Word HTML rendering in email

It's absolutely crazy that in Outlook 2016 we still can't use fundamental parts of the original CSS spec in HTML-based email templates. I'm specifically referring to float, padding, and background-image. It would also be nice to not have to build HTML emails using tables so that they can be responsive.

It's fine by me if Outlook continues to use Word to create/author HTML-based emails, because that's what Outlook users are used to using. However, the display of incoming HTML-based emails should be rendered by a real HTML engine, not Word, especially if those incoming emails weren't originally created in Outlook/Word,…

201 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide ability to change the name of a file or an attachment within the email.

I'd like to be able to change the name of a file within the email. For example, I often forward invoices straight to my cloud accounting package.

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 97 98 99 101 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Outlook for Windows (Desktop application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base