OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook for Windows (Desktop application)

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option of Follow up for an email in Microsoft Outlook 2016 for IMAP Account

Currently it is only possible to flag a message for follow-up in a POP account and not in an IMAP account. In an IMAP account you can only flag an email without any date . Allow IMAP messages to be flagged for follow-up with a date and custom flag. Also option to FOLLOW UP EMAILS at point of sending and NOT after email has been sent, having to go into the send folder, too long and tedious.

119 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

42 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option of adding Comments/Tags on individual emails or conversations

It would be helpful to have an option to add searchable text comments on Outlook objects.

Often we receive an email which is related to another email sent for a particular request. It would ease the tracking or searching of the emails by using that request as a comment on any of the emails.

159 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a Microsoft app to convert an OST file to a PST file

It would be helpful if Microsoft provided an app to convert an OST file to a PST file. Currently, customers must find third-party software to perform the conversion. Also provide a feature or an option to convert other email file formats to .PST or other email formats in Microsoft Outlook as well to make it more productive.

Hallo Zusammen,

folgender Fall:

• Mein Outlook wird mit einem als Imap Konto betrieben. Neben den Serverdateien habe ich auch lokal gespeicherte Kontakte.

• Wegen eines Grafiktreiberfehlers musste ich Windows 10 wurde komplett aufgefrischt.

• Nach der Neuinstallation von Office wollte ich meine Kontaktdaten aus der…

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Delivery and Read receipt option in Outlook 2016 for Mac as well as Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Windows

Provide an option to request Delivery and Read receipt option in Outlook 2016 for MAC as well as Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Windows. Also, there should be delivery and read receipt option in Outlook 2016 for read encrypted emails. Also an option to select Yes or No for a read receipt would be beneficial rather than default option of 'YES'.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Plugin to remove duplicate emails from Outlook 2016

It would be nice for Outlook 2016 to have a plugin/addin to remove duplicate emails.

129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. MAPI Extended error for IMessage Object

If IMessage::SubmitError fails and returns MAPIEEXTENDED_ERROR, IMessage::GetLastError gets called. If you supply MAPIERROR structure to Outlook it does not use the information on MAPIERROR in the displayed error box. I think the information returned by GetLastError should be shown in the error message popup.
    See: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/96ca73d6-e4d4-462e-9791-d3e035b288ff/mapi-extended-errors-for-imessage?forum=outlookdev#8803715e-ac2f-4788-b2ad-74eca08b8723

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Folder Icons , Fonts and Colors

Allow Email Folder Icons to be changed. User should be able to change the folder color , Font and actual menu Icon used.

618 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

218 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Delete Clutter folder from mailbox

Delete Clutter folder from mailbox, not with MFCMAPI, really for the mailbox!

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow mail-items to be tagged in Outlook 2016

Using "Categories" for emails is not always useful because they a) need to be created in advanced and b) are then cumbersome to use if there are many. A much, much more comfortable tagging would thus be required. This could work similar to online-sites where you simple can "type" multiple comma-separated strings. If a string is recognized to be "existing" in the current database, it is potentially auto-completed. This "tags" field is stored with the mail item and can be easily searched/filtered for. Or even better provide an option to mark emails with a "Star" sign so we can search…

373 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

90 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Email Confirmation on Emails Sent - Read receipt notification

Email Confirmation on Emails Sent. I do not like bothering my clients. But I would like to know if they have received my invoice I emailed. Also read receipt requests are only available on original emails. If this capability already exists, it’s well hidden, and your “help” option doesn’t know about it either.

107 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently, Outlook 2016 offers the capability to set a delivery receipt confirmation on an email. Please provide more details about the feature that you would like to see.

11. Unified Inbox for Outlook 2016

Outlook needs a unified Inbox similar to the Outlook for iOS app. For those of us with multiple email accounts it would be very convenient to have all emails arrive in one inbox; perhaps color-coded to show which account they were delivered to.

3,166 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

861 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Pinnable locations to the "recent" documents attachments Menu

The new attachments menu in Outlook 2016 is one of the best bits of the product, not only saving me loads of time by adding files I was last working on, but also making it easy to send links instead of files.

For me the only thing it's lacking is some pins so that I can go and grab attachments from pinned locations (Just like the say the Open Document pane works on Word/Excel/PowerPoint

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Lock reading pane header bar

It would be good to have something like start menu used to have where you could LOCK the bar so that if you click on the edge you would not change the size of it. Here you would lock headers so that if you click on one by mistake, emails don't get re-sorted.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Could photos attached to an email appear as thumbnail versions of themselves and Option to increase thumbnail size

I cannot easily identify any particular photo when each appears on the email as a 'cloud' icon along with its identity no. Would it not be easier to see each as a thumbnail of itself?

Also,there should be an option to increase thumbnail size in Outlook please. I use outlook to review security snapshots and a larger image without the need to click on each attachment would be very useful.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Work Schedule Shading for Out-Of-Office dependent on Day of week

Allow different default work hours dependent on day of week. For instance, I work 12-8 on two days of the week, and 8-4 on three days of the week. Right now, you can only go into "Calendar Options" then Work Hours, then "Start Time" and "End Time" of work hours, followed by selecting the days of the week you work.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. All Communications Visibilty

Hello Dear,

I am working for a multinational corporation and I have more than 17 years of working experience. I believe the future email communication will be tremendously more efficient among the member of the team members if the team members are able to see the communications of others in their emails. This will be a huge time and resource saving if employees can search communications over a special subject. Of course there would be privacy issues which can be limited with adding/removing some features. But Corporate world would have a huge benefit of this as the information cycles through…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Notify me if the file I'm saving is open within an email draft.

The following prompt should be added:
    "You are saving this file as part of a draft email. Any changes to this file may be lost if you don't save a copy to your computer. Would you like to save a copy to your computer?"
    Currently, if I open a draft that has an attachment, edit the attachment, then click save, the file saves as part of the draft, but does not save to the original location on my computer. I am not prompted that the file location is not on my computer. So, if I delete the email, or if…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable colored mailbox folders or Color coded All Unread Inbox

Enable to set colors for the (sub-)folders in the mailbox, because the human brain links words with colors easier. So when I search e.g. the folder "Verbesserungsvorschläge", I don't need to search the written folder by eye. No, I can search by the color, that I defined for this folder. I mean, that the background around the letters of the foldername should have a color.

Also, It would be great if there were an “All Unread” email from all different email inboxes. Then each mailbox inbox could have a different color and in the All Unread the emails from that…

2,046 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

317 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Schedule email and Calendar Appointment in Inbox and Calendar like on iPhone Outlook app!

Add the ability to schedule/archive emails like you can in the wonderful Outlook for iPhone app! Swiping two fingers to the right or left on the email to archive or schedule wonder be amazing! It should include this feature in Drafts as well.

You can swipe to the side and "Schedule" an email in the Inbox to go to a Scheduled folder until the time that you have it scheduled for when it shows up again in your Inbox at the time that you need to deal with it!

This is THE KILLER feature that would put Outlook far above…

1,266 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

207 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Possibility to auto-archive a mail-thread within a mail distribution list

A feature to select a mail-thread to be auto-archived automatically. This will not affect other mail-threads among the same users of the distribution list.
    Use case 1: Large DL is used for different topics with high volume of replies. Topics that are not of importance can be auto-archived to prevent cluttering of your inbox.
    Use case 2: Next to auto-archive function a thumbs up can be added. This way the DL knows if the topic is useful or not and is worthwhile to eloborate even more in a follow-up discussion.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Outlook for Windows (Desktop application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base