OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook 2016 for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The ribbion tool bar

The ribbon tool bar is too large and taking up too much of my screen. Also the icons on the ribbon bar are too large. The colour range does not have enough choice. The older ribbon bar was much better on office 2010 and has gone south in my opinion. I hate the new ribbon bar and the feel of the system. The system is not an improvement over office 2010

142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

38 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve synchronization of junk email settings between app and web interface

Please improve the synchronization between the outlook app and the web interface regarding junk handling.

Or at least improve the documentation/information about the possible problems that can arise due to missing synchronization.

Recently, I have become aware that there are two places were junk email settings can be set, in the web interface and in the outlook app. And more importantly, that these two places have nothing to do with each other! You can add or remove accounts from the safe sender list in one place, but it does not affect the settings on the other place.

I also understand…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the banner indicating you are not responding to the latest email more visible.

I would like to see the banner when replying to an email that is not the latest in the email thread to be more visible. In addition to this, a prompt forcing to click an acceptance box when trying to send the email could be helpful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show the weekday in meeting invitations

When receiving a meeting invite, the time, date, month and year is shown. But the weekday is not. And there doesn't seem to be a way to easily see this (hovering over the date, or changing a view setting) without opening a calendar. It would be good for the meeting invite to show which day of the week the invite is for, or allow you to 'hover' over the date to show the day.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. folder pane density

Increase the folder pane density so I can see more of my folders. (It seems that the font is large and there is a lot of dead space between each collapsed folder to make touch screen use easier, but the billions of users that still use a mouse may find this wasteful and inefficient to scroll through tons of folders.)

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. On the calendar, in the Daily View, Work Week View, and Week View there is a blue horizontal line to indicate the current time. I'd like to

On the calendar, in the Daily View, Work Week View, and Week View there is a blue horizontal line to indicate the current time. In the two weekly views, I'd like to suggest that the line be darker in the middle when the line crosses the current day of the week. This would help emphasize the current day of the week and make finding 'now' much easier.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please add a Send Individually Button

I often find I need to send mails to many Distribution Lists which can have a large number of users on and cross-posting is frowned upon by the DL owners

I value the use & efficiency of my time much more than the time it takes to spend what can be many extra additional minutes (per distribution list) to copy paste and then send emails to many different recipients in the To Field.

Therefore, to improve the user experience of sending bulk emails (including to large lists that may otherwise just get BCC'd) I would like a button that would…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Include a checklist for activities of an assigned task

Incluir una lista de verificacion para actividades de una tarea asignada

Include a checklist for activities of an assigned task

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide a feature or an option to sort Rules in alphabetical order in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Can you please have the "Rules" for dealing with emails display in alphabetical order, or at least have this option. They currently display in chronological order only.
    This will make finding a rule easier when you have a lot of them to edit/update etc

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Swap timezones Button in Outlook Calendar - Can you please put it back

The Swap Timezones in Outlook calendar has disappeared.
    Can you please put it back again?
    Executive Assistants who work with Global Timezones really need this - I need it on a daily basis.
    Thanks !

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Update the occurrance feature to be able to create occurrence based off another occurrence.

You can create re-occurrences in your calendar based off simple rules provided, but there is no rule to create an occurrence based off another. So like if you have a meeting every second Thursday of the month, you can't create a meeting or an appointment based on that meeting that happens on that second Thursday. Like if you want to create a meeting on that Monday that the Second Thursday falls in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Final Recurring Event Confirmation/Extension Prompt

On the final day of a recurring event (for example, a daily reminder to perform a backup), it would be nice to be prompted at the scheduled time for Calendar to say something like "This is your final recurring event. Do you want to extend this recurrence?"

I have had situations where I have set recurring events for a certain time period, and then forgotten all about them because I was no longer prompted after the expiration period had completed - if that makes sense?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. The "Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize Button" in Outlook 2016

Office programs allow users to customize keyboard shortcuts in the "Customize the Ribbon" dialog window. Why doesn't Outlook? The "Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize" button is missing.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Appointment item icon to indicate whether required meeting participants accepted when looking at multi-day, week, or month view

How often do we join a meeting only to find out not all the required attendees accepted? "Let me see if XX accepted...oops, looks like no response. I will try to ping him/her, otherwise we reschedule."

With full calendars, no one is going to sit there and check them one at a time on a daily basis. This could easily be solved by a simple icon on the appointment item "pill" indicating whether the meeting is "viable" or not. A user could then take action, like prompting required attendees or rescheduling.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Family Calendars cannot be updated from Outlook Desktop

Using Outlook 2016 for Windows, I cannot add or update events to my Outlook.com family calendar.

224 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Outlook team is working on this update. We will add support for adding and updating events on family calendars as part of an overall improvement to shared calendars in Outlook.

We will post a subsequent status update when the shared calendar improvements are available for you to use in Outlook. Our current ETA is to begin releasing to subscription customers who are using Outlook 2016 this summer (July 2018).

16. Provide a feature or option to assign colors to Calendars in Microsoft Outlook 2016

This is not for the "categories" for color-coding each entry... those haven't really changed, and although I would love more color options, it works. BUT, I'm really sad that the new "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016" Outlook calendar color options have been severely reduced and honestly folks, these colors are sad. Get rid of pink. Forever. Or make it the 30th choice. So hard to look at. We need more than 9 options... I regularly have far more than 9 calendars open and need to be able to quickly differentiate. It is nice that you can now dedicate a specific…

293 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Custom to-do list groups

Custom to-do list groups that are not date driven like "To Read" "Delegated" or "revision" so they can be in sight but not time orientated.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Black screen privacy button on task bar - toggle on and toggle off

Add a feature which would allow users to click a button on the task bar to go to a black “privacy” screen. The suggestion is to turn the screen black except the task bar at the bottom. Then you can click the button to unveil your screen and return to your work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Open Authentication

Open Authentication is required to be enabled on Outlook 2016 to work with some email providers, can this be done?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. enable Open Authentication on Outlook 2016

Open Authentication on Outlook 2016

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)