OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

Outlook 2016 for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove the default setting "No end date" on new recurring meetings

By default when you create a new recurring meeting in Outlook the default recurrence pattern is "No end date" which is not recommended. Microsoft recommends setting end dates in their best practices link; https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Best-practices-when-using-the-Outlook-Calendar-d93f72d3-2361-4e0d-8d6a-5c4939c17f39?CorrelationId=e84b1b4d-dc2e-4bc7-8b5d-8b386f50d050&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

33 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Backspace key in message list should delete selected message, not navigate to random folder

In most windows apps, the Backspace key will delete the current selection, just like the Delete key does. In Outlook's email list, however, backspace will navigate to an unpredictable folder instead of deleting the currently selected message.

This change would be particularly helpful for users who are switching to Windows from the Mac where Backspace is the primary key used for deleting stuff. Or for users running Windows on Mac laptops where there is no Delete key, only backspace.

22 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • sso
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Disable search indexing of certain folders within a mailbox

Would like the ability to index only a subset of Outlook folders

7 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • sso
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Lock reading pane header bar

It would be good to have something like start menu used to have where you could LOCK the bar so that if you click on the edge you would not change the size of it. Here you would lock headers so that if you click on one by mistake, emails don't get re-sorted.

9 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • sso
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • When creating an event, allow sending a notification of it to the user in Outlook 2016

When creating an event allow sending a notification to the user so that they can get to know when was the even email notification was received.

11 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • sso
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • follow up next working day

The follow up flags are great and I often use the tomorrow option to push non urgent tasks until tomorrow, however when my tasks are work-related, pushing from Friday to Saturday just creates a bunch of tasks to move again to Monday on my Saturday morning! Having an option to push the task to 'Next Working Day' would solve this problem if it were available.... I often have around 100-200 tasks so this may not be as significant a problem for those who have a lot less!

89 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • sso
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Please add “new Journal Entry” to options for adding to “quick tool bar”.

You should be able to track your daily task, accomplishments and meetings...to see your set goal and elaboration self fulfillment even emoji expression to represent inanimate object or feelings or pictures of the day or places frequented. Lots of self data.

Also, being able to pull up a history of contacts, their emails, docs relevant to that contact and notes in a timeline summary area like Journal is efficient to use and helpful for researching past contact activity. This is especially true for the self employed. Please bring back these features!

Also, please add “new Journal Entry” to options for…

56 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • sso
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Email count by group heading

I would like to see how many emails are in the groupings I select. For example, number of emails by Date grouping (today, yesterday...); or number of emails by sender in From grouping; or number of emails by Subject grouping.

57 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • sso
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Universal Unsubscribe Button!

Please add a button that allows the user to unsubscribe from a mailing list with just one click! Instead of having to click unsubscribe/fill out the form to confirm email/uncheck mailing addresses/reply with "stop" etc, one button automatically kills that email from appearing in your inbox again. Worst case this turns into a better version of the "junk" feature and re-reroutes to an "Unsubscribed" folder/filter if it can't automatically unsubscribe for you.

39 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • sso
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Notify me if the file I'm saving is open within an email draft.

The following prompt should be added:
                      "You are saving this file as part of a draft email. Any changes to this file may be lost if you don't save a copy to your computer. Would you like to save a copy to your computer?"
                      Currently, if I open a draft that has an attachment, edit the attachment, then click save, the file saves as part of the draft, but does not save to the original location on my computer. I am not prompted that the file location is not on my computer. So, if I delete the email, or if…

11 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • sso
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Alarm when writing 'see attached' but forget to attach

When sending someone an email writing 'see attached for..', it sometimes happens you forget to actually attach. I need an alarm when I send my mail that says ''We see you're writing 'see attached' but there is no attachement. Do you still want to send your email?''. Just as you get an alarm when you send someone an email without a subject.

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • sso
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Resume feature for Office Applications in Office for MAC and Windows

For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011, Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

I would suggest Microsoft implements this functionality in both…

6 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • sso
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Use the native service authentication (like the Mobile version)

Most of my mail accounts (Outlook.com and GMail) have two factor authentication set up. It's really annoying to add them to Outlook 2016. I have to generate a app password on each of the accounts, and use them to log in.

Your mobile apps (iOS and Android) use the "native" service authentication (redirect me to the site, I log in, authorize the app and I'm good to go). I find it a much better way to log in, since I don't need to go to another site and generate a password. All I need is my phone.

53 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • sso
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Started  ·  12 comments  ·  Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • All Communications Visibilty

Hello Dear,

I am working for a multinational corporation and I have more than 17 years of working experience. I believe the future email communication will be tremendously more efficient among the member of the team members if the team members are able to see the communications of others in their emails. This will be a huge time and resource saving if employees can search communications over a special subject. Of course there would be privacy issues which can be limited with adding/removing some features. But Corporate world would have a huge benefit of this as the information cycles through…

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • sso
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • OneNote like shortcut keys when composing email

I love OneNote and Outlook, however, a lot of the shortcut keys are not available when composing emails for formatting. Would be nice to leverage shortcut keys that do not overlap with existing keys, such as CTRL + . (period) for a bullet list.

Just a thought.

18 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • sso
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Feedback Site for Outlook 2016 from the Office Suite -- Not the default Mail app of Windows 10

Thanks for your suggestions to this site--we appreciate the feedback!!

To clarify a little bit, this UserVoice site is dedicated to feedback about the Microsoft Outlook 2016 application that comes in the Office Suite (along with the Office 365 apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. https://products.office.com/en-us/outlook/email-and-calendar-software-microsoft-outlook) Office's Outlook 2016 is the one that comes with mail, calendar, people, and tasks.
                                  We would love to hear your suggestions about what the next versions of Outlook 2016 could do!

However, this UserVoice site is not for submitting feedback about the Windows 10 Mail app. That application has the ability to receive…

17 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • sso
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Custom spacing of QAT icons

The horizontal spacing of the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) icons dramatically increased with the download of Office Outlook 2016. I can no longer see many of the important QAT icons and using the program is significantly less efficient now. Please restore the ability to display QAT icons in a narrow format. I will not download Office 2016 on my desktop until this issue is resolved because it is so significant. I am considering rolling back my laptop to Office 2013 until the issue is resolved.

17 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • sso
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide different GPO settings for the default account and added accounts

We already have GPOs to enable caching in Outlook but these settings are valid for all accounts added. It would make sense to have distinct settings for the default account where I would e.g. cache items for 24 month but for all other accounts maybe only 3 to 12 months for performance reasons regarding OST files.

7 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • sso
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Possibility to auto-archive a mail-thread within a mail distribution list

A feature to select a mail-thread to be auto-archived automatically. This will not affect other mail-threads among the same users of the distribution list.
                                        Use case 1: Large DL is used for different topics with high volume of replies. Topics that are not of importance can be auto-archived to prevent cluttering of your inbox.
                                        Use case 2: Next to auto-archive function a thumbs up can be added. This way the DL knows if the topic is useful or not and is worthwhile to eloborate even more in a follow-up discussion.

8 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • sso
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Toolbar Customizations save all in one ui

When saving Quick Access Toolbar commands, can each ui be saved into one ui. It would be so much easier then saving changes individually or copying the .ui files. Thanks

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • sso
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base