OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Unread Email Count - Move it back!

I hate that the new unread email count for any box is aligned to the right. I cannot find anything online on how to fix this. PLEASE change this back or at least give the user the ability to determine if they want the count number next to the folder name or aligned differently.

21 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jason W shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • abby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please move the unread email number back next to the folder name. Right justified is not ok!

• Richard Kelters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote to move it back too!

Another argument:
    "Not only is the number of unread aligned to the right (which makes it harder to see to which folder the number belongs). It took me a while to find out that the reply, reply all, forward as well as the discard and pop out buttons above the email preview are aligned to the right, especially on large screens this changed gave me the impression that they've been deleted."

Also see
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_other-mso_o365b/outlook-365-proplus-unread-mail-count-number

• Bosco Tsang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please charge back, and please do not take away any feature at anytime without user engagement. We are paying for stable service, not paying for Google like "beta" service. That's the value of Microsoft, please keep it this way.

• Philip Rupp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At first I thought it would be fine, but I just realized how much eye movement I had in a quick scan through my folder list. So, after giving it a chance, I have to say I'd prefer to have it back behind the folder name.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't just decide to change what has been working for 20 years and then don't give options to choice! I have a hard find moving my eyes back and forth to focus to see which one of all my folders is aligning to which number far away. It is very user hostile. Move it back close the the folder name where it belongs so you don't need to move eyes back and forth. If my folder name is "too" long it is better in fact, but I don't want to pad my folder names with aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa prefix or something just to manually align the numbers on the right side.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its because your folder name is too long !
    Far right aligned to box is way better to show at a glance the unread message

• Richard Malsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed!!! The change to right-justify the unread message count to along the frame's right edge leaves a WIDE!!!!! gap between folder name & count.

• Richard Malsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed!!! Shifting the unread message count to be right-aligned to the frame edge leaves a HUGE!!! gap between folder name & count.

Feedback and Knowledge Base