OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Mailtips on all Outlook clients: when a mailtip about external recipient is shown, the external recipients should be highlighted

Mailtips on all Outlook clients: when a mailtip about external recipient is shown, the external recipients should be highlighted in to/cc/bcc fields to make external recipients to stand out.
This should apply to at least Outlook for Windows and in web client version as well.

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vesa Nopanen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the option to enable a mail tooltip that notifies my users that they're viewing an external email and to be cautious when viewing any email from outside the organization. This would act as an extra layer of defense against spear-phishing schemes. A mail tooltip or something along those lines would be better than just modifying the message subject or contents of the message because the later breaks DKIM. Modifying the subject impacts the ability to sort by subject in outlook, and modifying the message body impacts the ability to see the first line of the email in outlook (since the first line will always be the warning disclaimer).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If an intended recipient is external, in the recipient list, highlight that entry in red, or another suitable method. This will aid in data loss prevention, accidental autocorrects to external parties, and give senders possible pause to re-word their email to ensure it's aligned with company communication policies

• MN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At present, an Exchange Administrator can enable a MailTip in Outlook that will appear when an e-mail is addressed to external recipients. I'd like Microsoft to add a complimentary MailTip that will appear when an e-mail is sent from an external sender. This will help my users identify external e-mail and aid in their detection of spoofed and/or phishing messages.

In PowerShell, the command would look something like this:
    Set-OrganizationConfig -MailTipsExternalSenderTipsEnabled:$TRUE

Presently, administrators have to accomplish this type of warning via a Transport Rule that modifies the message subject or message body. Modifying the message body takes up space in the preview pane and users don't like that. Modifying the subject causes search issues and multiple threads, which is worse. A MailTip is the right level of warning - one that won't disrupt a user's workflow. THANK YOU.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base