OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Stop prioritizing O365 for Autodiscover

After the release of 16.0.6741.2017, the Click 2 Run (C2R) version of the Outlook client for the PC is prioritising O365 for Autodiscover queries above all other Autodiscover methods (SCP, HTTPS root domain etc).

This causes problems for customers who aren't using O365 for mail service, especially if either of these conditions are true:

1. The user has a mailbox in the O365 service which is not being used. This can occur if the user has inadvertently had an Exchange license assigned.
2. The user has a personal Office subscription but has used their business email address to configure it.

Outlook prompts the user to login, but logging in will fail as it's effectively requesting credentials against the O365 service.

This behaviour also breaks the experience for existing profiles, not just newly created ones.

The “workaround” we have is to add a registry change to end users PC to bypass the O365 endpoints. From this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2212902/unexpected-autodiscover-behavior-when-you-have-registry-settings-under

This property needs to be set to a DWORD value of 1: ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint

This workaround is hard to manage, client specific, and will need to be reverted if the customer ever does in fact move to O365 so that the Direct Connect method can work again.

My suggestion would be to re-consider this change and how Autodiscover may work more intelligently going forwards.

132 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Merritt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We cannot fulfil this request as we will continue to optimize for the Office 365 experience. The supported implementation of Autodiscover is documented here, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3211279. Any ongoing changes and improvements will be documented in the article. We appreciate your feedback and take every request with consideration, whether we can move forward with it or not.
    -Outlook Team

6 comments

Comments are closed
    • Edward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also affects other Outlook clients. I am unable to get access to my hosted Exchange due to Microsoft not honouring the providers autodiscover service. On my PC I can get around it but using Outlook on Windows Phone (W10M) and iPhone (iOS) I have no such option.
      In this case Msft assumes that just because I have a Microsoft Account (formerly LiveID) that should be used despite me specifically choosing Exchange over Office365 and Outlook.com when trying to connect to the Exchange server.

• Claude Benchimol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft making the deliberate, unilateral and unannounced decision to automatically link Outlook to their own Exchange server shows a total lack of respect for their customers, the 3rd party Exchange hosting services, and the end users which were forced to spend countless hours re-creating their profiles, changing emails, etc ... This is nothing less than a predatory monopolistic behavior and should be sanctioned accordingly.

• Hubert Daubmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I knew one day this great "feature" will come to light and explain why I had to spend in excess of 40 hours to fix a broken Outlook lately. This includes repair and eventually and reinstall Office (including the hassle to find PID key), delete and reinstate profiles, to change passwords on Live.com and Hosted Exchange, because it was obvious the system was (again) confusing settings. I do not mention the anger and personal frustration. It was clear an overambitious but otherwise clueless developer together with an identical program manager who have no idea of the real world had not other intention but make my life miserable for weeks and certainly for no valid reason at all.

• Markus Laistner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Punish paying users with such %§"$.... is this the "microsoft way " ?
      So many angry customers blaming us for this Outlook-behaviour ...

• SuperTekBoy (aka Gareth Gudger) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Change the Autodiscover lookup sequence so root-domain queries are a lower priority.

Currently:
      SCP
      contoso.com (root domain)
      autodiscover.contoso.com
      HTTP redirect
      SRV record

Proposed:
      SCP
      autodiscover.contoso.com
      HTTP redirect
      SRV record
      contoso.com (root domain)

This would eliminate the issue with more and more websites implementing SSL and CPanel Autodiscovery which will hijack an Outlook connection to Exchange. My experience is that most on-prem organizations use SCP, Autodiscover.contoso.com and SRV records and Office 365 uses HTTP redirect.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This behaviour has caused so much pain for us. Users being prompted about temporary mailboxes all over the place. We created an autodiscover DNS record for a reason, Outlook should honour it.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base