OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a feature or option to allow rules to be searched in Microsoft Outlook 2016

There are many users that have many rules activated on their Outlook accounts. In the Desktop client, you cannot easily search these rules to find ones you know to be out of date, etc. I spend far too much time sifting thru my rules to find the one I need to update, disable, or delete.

26 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brandon H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ken Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the Outlook system allows me to create many duplicate rules. If I feel a rule needs to be created then the presumption should be that I am not aware of an existing rule. In my case this is because the existing rule is not being executed as it should be. There needs to be a button that can provide information about a rule that is not functioning. This button could display information about the times the rule was executed over the last 2 weeks, and the details of the rule such as the source email folder and a target email folder an email to be moved between etc.

• Rodrigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be interesting if the Outlook Rules and Alerts screen had the following features:

- Order the rules and alerts in alphabetical order;
    - Be able to search and filter the rules and alerts (it is terrible to have to manually find a rule or alerts when there are dozens of rules and alerts);

• Alice Waller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are 3rd party vendors that provide an Outlook Add-in to let you sort, print and edit outlook rules. The add-in is effectively an Outlook rules editor, plus it allows you to quickly find specific rules, sort the rules alphabetically (or by the folder, or any other grid column header), and you can import/export rules. Unless this is done by a company that Microsoft secretly owns, it would be helpful if Microsoft could provide the same level of service for their product that a 3rd party company can do.

• Marvin P Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have over 800 rules. Very often e-mail address and other rule items change. Create a method to find specific Rules so that each rule can be changed / modified instead of having to create new rules without being able to delete or modified the old, no longer relevant rules

• Ron Fischer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to sort rules is a long overdue feature that should be very simple to incorporate into the rules options.

• Gary Klein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, am extremely frustrated by the inability to sort and search rules to find the one that is causing problems by misfiling emails in my folders. I understand that the order that they are applied is important and should not be changed willy-nilly such as alphabetical ordering but is should not be a difficult task to allow a secondary list that can be alphabetized and searched. I should also be able to consolidate all rules that send emails to the same folder and to find that rule when I want to add a new sender. I also should be able to set multiple parameters in both the "and" & "or" categories.

• Tariq Ahsan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finding a specific rule among the list of rules is a herculean task. Rules to be searchable or can be sorted alphabetically.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. It would be very helpful if the rules were sorted alphabetically.

2. Another great help would be to put them in folders, such as "projects", "clutter", etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Rules need to be sorted alphabetically. Very hard to find.
    2. possibly allow to organize in folders, such as "project rules", "clutter rules"

Currently very messy and hard to find the rules I want to run.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base