OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016 especially in Enterprise scenario.

1,150 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the new icons. We know any change to the user experience can be disruptive at first, especially major changes like updating all the icons. Even though these new icons have been through many rounds of feedback and refinement with real customers, we’re sorry you’re not finding the new icons helpful.

The new icons incorporate customer feedback we had received on the old icon design: bolder lines and higher color contrast helps make icons are more visible when using your computer near a window, a laptop in direct sunlight, or for folks with less than perfect vision. The new icons are also built using scalable graphics so they are never pixelated and can adapt to any device — whether it’s a monitor you’ve had for many years or a brand new 4K display. We’re also evolving the user interface designs on PC, Mac, and web towards a consistent and simpler set of icons so you can switch between devices more seamlessly and have a familiar set of commands.

All of this requires changing the user interface that you may have been using for several years, but we hope that it won’t take long to adjust to this change. We won’t always get things right, so we promise to continue to listen and learn. Your feedback is critical to help us refine these icons over time to make them even more accessible and easier to understand.

If there’s specific icons or elements of the new design that are not working for you, please let us know. You can use File > Feedback > Send a Frown from Word, Excel or PowerPoint (screenshots are very helpful), or you can also create and upvote suggestions for specific icons on UserVoice using the links below. You can use the #newicons hashtag to make it easier for others to find and upvote your suggestions.

https://word.uservoice.com/
    https://excel.uservoice.com/
    https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/
    https://outlook.uservoice.com/
    https://onenote.uservoice.com/

540 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not seeing 1 positive review on the new icon look. So who is MS working for? or trying to please?

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Team...you don't give a f*ck on what we say, right? At least, admit it...

• rey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just got screwed with SMALL headed developers trying to be smart along with their quadruple visioned managers. Instead of improving the product that gave them a job, they are reinventing things that do not need re-invention. I do not need colors. I need a smart program not a dumb software!

• Mason Landstreet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not understand why it is necessary to tie everybody to the "least common denominator" interface. I understand making it available but there is no reason to make everybody suffer. Companies and individuals pay for nice monitors an high performance computers just so they can run appealing software.

I could not help but notice the statement "You can use File > Feedback > Send a Frown from Word, Excel or PowerPoint". Outlook was left out of this option (I checked). I wonder if it is because it's ribbon is the worst of all and they new they would get a lot of complaints.

P.S. For what it is worth. The old school, 3D appearing toolbar in older versions of office was far superior. Every button was completely customizable. You could have multiple toolbar definitions for each device and they could be easily copied from user to user and device to device. You could create your own graphics or copy images from other sources. There were even toolbar layouts available for download. Best of all if you liked it the way it was you could leave it alone and it would not change when you did Microsoft Update.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new layout takes up far too much room on the screen. When you are working with a small laptop, it doesn't leave enough room to realistically use the preview screen. Responding to calendar invitations is the absolutely worst because you can't see the actual calendar preview now that the new ribbons and headers are so large.

• Dam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After a message reception check, have a result indicator. Whether or not there are messages. Thus checking the good state of the function and the crashes of the synchronization, now invisible.

• Senaka Harischandra (MAS-TS) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I usually build up and keep using the "+MORE" option inside SEARCH ribbon because this helps me to filter email better and narrow down my list.
        But lately I noted that the textboses for "From", "To", "Subject" don't appear as soon as i click the cursor on the Search Textbox. I have to move the division between my list of mail and the message preview panes a little for all those sub-text-boxes to appear.
        Also, when i build those criteria with the "+MORE" button, the textboxes build up from bottom to top, so that I see Subject, then To, then From, instead of the other way around. So I need to add Subject first and then To and then From to make the screen look sensible.

Why do we see such changes in the UI that move away from simple sense...?

How can i sustain good productivity practices when i teach users in my 10000 email strong company to increase adoption of these features, when such silly changes wreck my effort...?

The new format is not easy for visually impaired (those of us getting old) to see contrast. If we were able to customize the background colors back to the "old outlook" look and feel - would be better.
        SO FRUSTRATING!!
        I hate Windows 10, Outlook 365, etc...give me back the old versions!

• Marc Sigrist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am disappointed by the sudden removal of color in the Outlook icons. Outlook is something I use all the time, and now whenever I look at it, I see something minimalistic, cold, austere, icy. Color is a wonderful design element, so why not use it? I pay for that product, and then suddenly you take away all the color?

The update a few days ago made a really bad change in the appearance of a "new mail" page. The address bars now take up half the screen, and it makes composing messages much more difficult because you have to use the scroll bar to read through a message instead of having it in front of you all in one piece. I spent an hour last night watching someone from Chat try to change it back, with no results. Please do another update to reverse this one. Thank you.

I see that nearly four months have past since I posted my comments and which you have said that this was under review. From what I have seen nothing has been done to change or solve any of the issues the others have commented on....How much longer do you need to review what people have said which is that THEY DO NOT LIKE WHAT YOU HAVE IMPLEMENTED and how much longer do we have to wait for US TO HAVE THE CHOICE of whether we want the new changes or NOT. Now you are doing horrible things to WORD as well...give us the choice of being able to use the software THE WAY WE WANT TO USE IT and not be forced to use the changes from some developer who thinks that it will be a good idea to just change it and have people forced to use it. Microsoft should be aware that there are a lot of other programs out there....and I would think that in a sales orientated market you would want to keep your customers instead of forcing them to leave with the stupid changes you keep making WITHOUT CONSULTATION and WITHOUT GIVING US THE CHOICE NOT TO USE THOSE CHANGES from we the people who use it the most.

This has been under review for a while. Is there any word on when it will be implemented?

• girolda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new presentation of the configuration of the account, is less practical than the old one with which one had a better mastery of the entered information.

• Cheri Southam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Coming soon" was an option and I switched it to on. Apparently it seemed that after restart I'd be able to say if this new feature was any good. I've no option to do that and there's no "simplified ribbon". It looks very similar to before restart.

• Vladimir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, I really appreciate those new features you have added in Office 365 (like groups, and integration with Sharepoint & OneDrive) - thanks for that!

BUT! BUT, BUT, BUT new new meeting creation form is totally disgusting - it takes twice screen space, compared to previous release - any reason for adding so much empty space? Why in the world did you restyled Subject, To and Location TextBoxes - it now feels inconsistent with Time? Also, due to this, and to extremely bleak separator, it now blends with meeting request body, making it hardly comprehensible.

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't support what is answered by admin (Desktop Outlook 2016 UserVoice)
        I don't know where you get the idea that the new icons make it easier.
        The only feedback I get from our employees with vision problems is that they are harder to recognize because they are to plain.
        Scaling icons ... well vectorize and scale the old ones.

Personally I think they look to oversimplyfied in design.

I bought an old copy of Office 2016 for my new computer, because I didn't want things changing all the time. Now with your new windows update, you just changed all the icons on my Office! Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing now, or what? Stop messing with my stuff! If you want to offer a new set of icons as an option, that's fine, but DO NOT just change my interface without my permission! Give me an option to put it back.

• Gerald Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a load of goffle. I've never heard so much self effacing rubbish in order to mitigate fixing something in my life

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base