OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016 especially in Enterprise scenario.

921 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the new icons. We know any change to the user experience can be disruptive at first, especially major changes like updating all the icons. Even though these new icons have been through many rounds of feedback and refinement with real customers, we’re sorry you’re not finding the new icons helpful.

The new icons incorporate customer feedback we had received on the old icon design: bolder lines and higher color contrast helps make icons are more visible when using your computer near a window, a laptop in direct sunlight, or for folks with less than perfect vision. The new icons are also built using scalable graphics so they are never pixelated and can adapt to any device — whether it’s a monitor you’ve had for many years or a brand new 4K display. We’re also evolving the user interface designs on PC, Mac, and web towards a consistent and simpler set of icons so you can switch between devices more seamlessly and have a familiar set of commands.

All of this requires changing the user interface that you may have been using for several years, but we hope that it won’t take long to adjust to this change. We won’t always get things right, so we promise to continue to listen and learn. Your feedback is critical to help us refine these icons over time to make them even more accessible and easier to understand.

If there’s specific icons or elements of the new design that are not working for you, please let us know. You can use File > Feedback > Send a Frown from Word, Excel or PowerPoint (screenshots are very helpful), or you can also create and upvote suggestions for specific icons on UserVoice using the links below. You can use the #newicons hashtag to make it easier for others to find and upvote your suggestions.

https://word.uservoice.com/
    https://excel.uservoice.com/
    https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/
    https://outlook.uservoice.com/
    https://onenote.uservoice.com/

494 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LeBAnn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The revised Outlook icons look horrible, difficult to see them, previous bolder icons much better. Please at leave have option to change to "classic.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unintelligible, difficult, and gratuitous. A waste of time.. thinking of going back to Office 2013.

Maybe have a system where you try to get feedback from all users before you make a drastic change. I understand people write in, but there are those who may not write in and feel just as strongly...if we know a change is imminent, we can speak out. Typically, MSFT doesn't do a great job of communicating change and when a user finds something missing they go online - only to find hundreds of others with the same confusion and same questions.

• Wim Borgers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with some of the other comments in this thread. The new UI has far too much white space (and this comes from somebody who adds more 'air' and open areas in about every other colleagues document to help them structure it). It is just too much.

At the same time buttons in the email pane are repeated and not consistent. Font sizes are not internally consistent between headers and subsections, … It goes on and on...

I do appreciate some of the ideas behind it, but the executions is severely lacking.

Please bring back the old system of saving important Emails from family and business. I am totally frustrated with the revised version of Outlook.

• Cheryl Ann Munson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I lost "format paragraph" in Outlook 365 and now there are extra blank lines everywhere, including in my signature. How to fix this? And I'd like to permanently fix this so I can dash of emails and my signature info doesn't take up a page!

The new layout of Office 365 is an abomination. It is so BIG is Outlook for example. And it is not logical. Oh and butt ugly :(

• etacarinae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the colour to delineate the top navigation groups. The underline replacing it is horrible and not easily discernible as the colour was.

Totally unhappy with the new look. Surprised with what I would categorize as a very regrettable downgrade. Not user friendly and as a graphic designer it's a real eye sore. A real thumbs down. It has the look of newbie in the design field. Very disappointed

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Return color to the icons in Outlook 2016. It looks terrible with all white icons. We are not deploying the latest updates on over 300 computers as management was not happy.

This new interface is impossible to work with. You must have kinder gardeners that designed this. I do not know where the idea for this came from but it is a disaster. go back to a simpler design and fire the idiot that approved this. Not all changes are for the good. I am a thoroughly ticked off senior citizen. I believe those coming out of school have no common sense and this change proves it. GO BACK TO A SIMPLER DESIGN. Rick Lenski

• Lydia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having trouble with ribbon components - I add things and then find that they do not stay in the ribbon for Outlook. Result: I cannot use bold , underlining, etc in Outlook.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Density of icons along the menu bar is erratic at best. The varying gaps between the icon itself and its description makes for a very difficult and confusing read. Some descriptors are center justified while others are off center. This may have been true of the other icons, but the descriptors have to do more legwork now because of the jarring level of contrast between description and icon. The top line of descriptors with hard returns seems to naturally flow from one icon descriptor to the next, forcing a reread and closer scrutiny to decipher what the action actually is. The icons themselves aren't bad, but the execution along the menu bar is a disaster. Consider, at minimum, greying out the descriptors slightly so the laser thin lines of the logos stop fighting with the equally weighted lifework of the lettering.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most horrible part about this update is that the icons in the "folder" view just all almost indistinguishable from one another.. What's the point in the icon when you have to read the words to figure it out? Bring back the old icons. I find these icons extremely unfriendly to use.

These icons are NOT, definitely NOT,differentiated easily, and thus, not QUICKLY differentiated. This is one of the stronger considerations when updates are considered....is it quicker, is it easier.

Users, in every industry, give a quick glance to make that fast click and move to the next item....these icons are not user friendly...somehow in the program there should be a way for the software to discern which type of device and then opt in the best icon for that device. I have worked for 30 years and adapting wasn't a chore...I have to look twice ...almost every time to make sure I am selecting what I want.. "Stick" style....in today's graphic enriched technology....hmmmm
        I

• Alph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the "Coming Soon" UI. In general I liked it.

BUT: the new "Send" button and associated From/CC/BCC/Subject areas are far too big.

The old ones were fine.

I have a 4K monitor and they now take up maybe 30% of the vertical space. Not good.

I understand the desire to be touch friendly.

Even though I have a touchscreen laptop I use a mouse 99.99999% of the time (and the rest is showing people how pointless my touch screen is :-))

I also use small taskbar icons, etc.
        I want to focus on my work space not on the visual bells and whistles layerd around the work space.

I'm sure a dedicated toucher will disagree.

So the solution seems to be that you should provide an option: "leave extra space for touch UIs" or something...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base