OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016 especially in Enterprise scenario.

1,371 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the new icons. We know any change to the user experience can be disruptive at first, especially major changes like updating all the icons. Even though these new icons have been through many rounds of feedback and refinement with real customers, we’re sorry you’re not finding the new icons helpful.

The new icons incorporate customer feedback we had received on the old icon design: bolder lines and higher color contrast helps make icons are more visible when using your computer near a window, a laptop in direct sunlight, or for folks with less than perfect vision. The new icons are also built using scalable graphics so they are never pixelated and can adapt to any device — whether it’s a monitor you’ve had for many years or a brand new 4K display. We’re also evolving the user interface designs on PC, Mac, and web towards a consistent and simpler set of icons so you can switch between devices more seamlessly and have a familiar set of commands.

All of this requires changing the user interface that you may have been using for several years, but we hope that it won’t take long to adjust to this change. We won’t always get things right, so we promise to continue to listen and learn. Your feedback is critical to help us refine these icons over time to make them even more accessible and easier to understand.

If there’s specific icons or elements of the new design that are not working for you, please let us know. You can use File > Feedback > Send a Frown from Word, Excel or PowerPoint (screenshots are very helpful), or you can also create and upvote suggestions for specific icons on UserVoice using the links below. You can use the #newicons hashtag to make it easier for others to find and upvote your suggestions.

https://word.uservoice.com/
https://excel.uservoice.com/
https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/
https://outlook.uservoice.com/
https://onenote.uservoice.com/

604 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daniel Zellman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give me the equivalent of "EDIT, FIND, MESSAGE" "EDIT SELECT ALL" OR "VIEW, NEXT UNREAD MESSAGE" from Vista Mail. In fact restore the entire Edit and View drop down selections.

• J Abenir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the previous template or better yet, offer it as a configurable item if people wish to have these new icons active. Provide options to choose which format they prefer or bring back the previous icons.

• Allison Morland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Cindy - this change is not at all what I want - you have taken away something I use a lot and I am NOT amused. Please change it back.

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the latest update for my work outlook looks like a cartoon for kids...definitely not professional looking...please change it back! Not all updates are needed or wanted.

• Samanth T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far I like what I'm seeing in the new look except the "Folder" view or menu is missing. I used this menu and the "empty folder" option with I want to empty my Delete Folder. Right now I have been going back to the original way to do this.

I REALLY love the option to just choose the UNREAD emails! The was the best ever change!

• J York commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not loving the new Appointment layout.

Having to go to another tab to see the scheduling assistant options is frustrating. The User experience was better when Add Attendees, Add Rooms and Busy/Free status was accessible from the top ribbon under the Attendees category.

This seems to be a change for change sake that doesn't add value.

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on MS this is ridiculous you shouldn't just change things without the option to switch off the change - usability has been thrown out of the window for the sake of consistency that doesn't exist. The quick steps view in the ribbon previously allowed for 16 or 20 visible buttons this is now 4? i used to be able to delete emails from the list of emails by clicking on the Waste bin (what was wrong with the red cross) now I have to right click and find delete on a list of 20 items or got to the ribbon or got to the new set of buttons on the right. all of these icons are too big and nowhere near densely positioned. Totally annoyed by this change I don't mind improvement but change that goes backwards is appalling. listen to your users and provide a simple solution now of allowing a return to the previous ribbon etc while you sort this mess out and restore our faith.

• JWhite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My UI changes every other day it seems in Outlook, this sucks, I have work to do and I am searching for fing buttons.

• Ron Buck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well we just passed the 6 month anniversary from when this was first posted on October 3, 2018 -- 1,329 votes and 590 very strongly worded comments later, and all we have to show for it was the nonsense, self-inflicted wound reply from Admin telling us that we will get used to it. I for one can tell you that I still hate the new layout for Outlook and all of the MS Office products, still find it much harder to read, and still have to try an decipher what some of the new icons mean (aren't icons supposed to be intuitive?). PLEASE END THIS CRUEL EXPERIMENT AND AT LEAST GIVE THE USERS THE OPTION TO CHOOSE THE OLD ICON SET!

• None commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually had to install Office 2019 so I could use the old icons again but keep security updates installed (thank god for my company MSDN subscription). It's shocking how horrible these new icons and are...and the ribbon bar? ONE BLUE LINE? That's it? Extremely difficult to find to see what tab you are on. As far as I can tell, these are all regressions. This is not progress folks. When all the icons look the same, someone wasn't paying attention in design philosophy class.

I understand that it's much more difficult to walk back a decision once it has been made and implemented than it is to actually make the decision and move forward, but sometimes you just need to admit defeat and do the right thing. Right now, this is NOT the right thing. I don't want to be stuck on Office 2019 forever here.

• Lee Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To get back to a normal size tool bar and address boxes in new mail a Microsoft technician had to turn off automatic updates and set my version of Office 365 to an earlier version. The new version was taking up to much of the page.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Windows Outlook 10 newest version of desk app. I am very unhappy with the current changes made to the look. Some of the features I use to use are no longer available. I feel that the extra clicks are slowing down productivity. Please change

• E Rug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lowering contrast does not make for a better / easier to read interface.

• Carole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING THE INSERT BAR WHERE I CAN GET PICTURES OF BALLOONS AND ANIMALS AND LOTS OF THINGS! WHERE DID IT GO ?? IAHVE NO INSERT BAR TO DO WHAT I NEED TO DO.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base