OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016 especially in Enterprise scenario.

1,667 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the new icons. We know any change to the user experience can be disruptive at first, especially major changes like updating all the icons. Even though these new icons have been through many rounds of feedback and refinement with real customers, we’re sorry you’re not finding the new icons helpful.

The new icons incorporate customer feedback we had received on the old icon design: bolder lines and higher color contrast helps make icons are more visible when using your computer near a window, a laptop in direct sunlight, or for folks with less than perfect vision. The new icons are also built using scalable graphics so they are never pixelated and can adapt to any device — whether it’s a monitor you’ve had for many years or a brand new 4K display. We’re also evolving the user interface designs on PC, Mac, and web towards a consistent and simpler set of icons so you can switch between devices more seamlessly and have a familiar set of commands.

All of this requires changing the user interface that you may have been using for several years, but we hope that it won’t take long to adjust to this change. We won’t always get things right, so we promise to continue to listen and learn. Your feedback is critical to help us refine these icons over time to make them even more accessible and easier to understand.

If there’s specific icons or elements of the new design that are not working for you, please let us know. You can use File > Feedback > Send a Frown from Word, Excel or PowerPoint (screenshots are very helpful), or you can also create and upvote suggestions for specific icons on UserVoice using the links below. You can use the #newicons hashtag to make it easier for others to find and upvote your suggestions.

https://word.uservoice.com/
https://excel.uservoice.com/
https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/
https://outlook.uservoice.com/
https://onenote.uservoice.com/

703 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • MS Sucks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typical MS... gotta have a reason to stay employed.. might as well overhaul the UI which nobody asked for.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You guys at Microsoft can't design a set of icons the way Apple does in the years, it's all nice that the icons are vectored like in OSX but who cares? only a small percentage of users who have a 4K screen in the office. The majority of users are stuck with the hideous set of distasteful icons. At least provide a function to revert this back to the way it was, i would never ever have updated if i knew this silly attempt of Microsoft to 'improve' of what already was fine....

• Brad Bouldin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Changed without warning. Slowed me down. I don't like the bland look of the new ribbon either. We need an option to change it back to the way it was if we desire, rather than having it forced.

I got the latest office update today. The updated ribbon looks like they were lifted from the 1st generation Mac. Almost all the icons are greyish and drawn like line drawings by a 3 year old. My sincere hope is MS did not actually employed child labor to design this particular upgrade.

• MJF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's just stupid to change icons w/o warning and with no way to revert back. I have different machines at work that have the older (better) icon set. Only 1 of my PCs at home has switched. GIVE US THE OLD ICONS!!

• mccoy_lyn@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see the need to revert back, but I question why the change in the first place. You get used to working with the product then the appearance changes for what appears to be no reason.

• Josie Houghton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the sidebar they look terrible. I think because the sidebar where the folders are is a much lighter grey than the ribbons, the folder icon colours are too similar to the background and disappear. Could the sidebar be the same shade of grey as the ribbon?

I'm remembering the days of yore, when companies trumpted their color and color screens on their devices. We need to move Office back into the 21st century and get it's depth and color back.

• T Meyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Offer the upgrade in ribbon icons as an option. I really don't like the update. I have old eyes, and they are very difficult to see. They are very thin, cartoonish and colors are difficult to differentiate. I am not able to revert to an older version, since my company's IT department controls the updates.

The new ribbon is terrible. Does anyone know how I can go back to the old version?

• Greg Frassmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When radical changes occur in the user interface of the client application such as outlook as has just occurred provide an easy option to revert to classic

• Dustin T Waling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The latest change which hit my pc this morning, and it is exactly in the opposite direction of the first part of the second paragraph of the support agent response!
    The GUI appearance update needs to be rolled back, or at the very least provide an option to set the previous GUI appearance.

This update is very disruptive and as it makes navigating around in outlook more of a strain. The new interface is washed out so all distinguishable visual cues and markers are gone. Now everything blends together like a bunch of white noise on a screen that is used to organize and manage many different communications and tasks. This makes extremely difficult to focus.
    ...I usually roll with the updates and acclimate, but this one is not okay.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not an idea, just a comment about an update that my Microsoft Suite got this morning.
    The new user interface for the Office Suite is sickening. Not just because it's new and unfamiliar, but because it literally looks like something that was designed with MS Paint back in 2006 by an 8th grade student.

I'm all for minimalism, but this is plain sad. Boring line work with no sense of depth or texture. Please, pay your UI team and ask for a real deliverable.

• Connman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another change for the sake of change going the wrong direction? I hope MS actually reads some of this and realizes that they are alienating their user base!

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your new format is horrible! My folders are not the same color. Attaching files does not appear as before now it is in the body of my email! Hate it! / It is aggravating when i have to learn the same stuff again because it has been changed. There are enough things to learn at my job without changing the tools i use to do my job.

Your terms of service are very long!

• Marion Holmes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did not ask for the new look. I do not like it. I do NOT want the advertising/weather on the ribbon of my Outlook calendar. I want to revert to the old look

← Previous 1 3 4 5 35 36

Feedback and Knowledge Base