OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016

Allow to revert to the old Ribbon icon set in Outlook 2016 especially in Enterprise scenario.

1,565 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the new icons. We know any change to the user experience can be disruptive at first, especially major changes like updating all the icons. Even though these new icons have been through many rounds of feedback and refinement with real customers, we’re sorry you’re not finding the new icons helpful.

The new icons incorporate customer feedback we had received on the old icon design: bolder lines and higher color contrast helps make icons are more visible when using your computer near a window, a laptop in direct sunlight, or for folks with less than perfect vision. The new icons are also built using scalable graphics so they are never pixelated and can adapt to any device — whether it’s a monitor you’ve had for many years or a brand new 4K display. We’re also evolving the user interface designs on PC, Mac, and web towards a consistent and simpler set of icons so you can switch between devices more seamlessly and have a familiar set of commands.

All of this requires changing the user interface that you may have been using for several years, but we hope that it won’t take long to adjust to this change. We won’t always get things right, so we promise to continue to listen and learn. Your feedback is critical to help us refine these icons over time to make them even more accessible and easier to understand.

If there’s specific icons or elements of the new design that are not working for you, please let us know. You can use File > Feedback > Send a Frown from Word, Excel or PowerPoint (screenshots are very helpful), or you can also create and upvote suggestions for specific icons on UserVoice using the links below. You can use the #newicons hashtag to make it easier for others to find and upvote your suggestions.

https://word.uservoice.com/
https://excel.uservoice.com/
https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/
https://outlook.uservoice.com/
https://onenote.uservoice.com/

673 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keep the new icons please. It's the recent changes to their placement that is the issue. The Reply, Reply All, and Forward buttons all the way to the right are the worst offenders. They require the user to move the mouse all the way to the right for no good reason. They look out of place. When choosing a placement for buttons, please consider whether the workflow for the user is ideal, especially with today's larger monitors. Thank you.

Terrible update, please revert. If you want UI improvements, the best improvement would be to let the user customize how it looks rather than forcing a look that the users clearly dislike. The Reply buttons on the right are less usable, the overly large from/to/cc/bcc/subject lines which cannot be resized or collapsed, the overall less visually appealing appearance, the lack of color customization for the skin; all this was a step backward. The feedback for what the user's want is pretty clear and consistent: If you make changes to the default UI then give us the tools to easily customize it to look the way we want.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This change keeps reverting back and forth. One day, the ribbon is the new icon look, another day it goes back to the old. Does this keep happening to others?

• Marc Bangs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New changes to the layout are ridiculous - you CANNOT justify the increase in wasted space on the email headers. NONE of the changes that I've seen so far have been useful or desired.

REVERT THIS "UPDATE"

• Bruce Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I'm quite sure Office users were clamoring for a new UI that takes up MORE SPACE while conveying LESS INFORMATION. All my middle-age and older colleagues simply love the smaller sized text entry boxes that get lost floating without anchor in a surrounding sea of gray, not to mention the reduced contrast that makes everything harder to read.

Who were the idiots at Microsoft greenlit this redesign? Does Microsoft test UI design changes using real people who actually use the product every day? Or is the UI design team a bunch of 23-year-old engineering nerds and bon vivants that don't use the product and care only about making the UI look cooler than the latest gray glass skyscraper in Seattle?

The latest UI design change for the entire Office suite manages to be both ugly and a step backward in usability at the same time. Congrats on your remarkable achievement. Perhaps you ought to do the following:

1. Fire and/or cancel contracts with everyone who had anything to do with designing or approving this UI change, both inside and outside Microsoft.

2. Design a new UI if you must in order to justify your software as a service pricing model. Only this time, hire competent graphic designers, not kids that live in their mother's basement. Then test the design with real people of all ages that actually use the product. Internal MS employees are not allowed to be part of the UI testing. Hire a competent market research firm that knows how to design the testing and quantify the results. If I'm going to pay an overpriced annual fee, then I expect a quality product for my money.

3. Give us back the old UI, which worked just fine, until the new UI is ready.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The buttons in the Send email screen are entirely too big. This layout feels like it is for touch screens and not regular enterprise desktops. When this releases our help desk is going to get destroyed with hate. They already don't like the idea of constant Office updates, this is just going to enforce their opinions of it.

• Matt Berkebile commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new UI is horrible. I'd ask how you could make less things fit on a screen but you'd probably out do yourself next update. WHY ARE THINGS SO SPACED OUT??? What business user asked for this?

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bottom line is that that the Ribbon and Icons are very unappealing in the entire suite of office 365 subscription products. Clearly, plenty of people feel this is the case not to mention the people who are not bothering to voice their opinion. Microsoft has done many great improvements on all products and is by far better than any other vendor overall but why have such an unappealing look like this "stick figure" stuff? And as far as "less than good vision" I am both near and far sighted and I wear glasses to solve that issue. If it's more severe than that, MS has the accessibility feature for people with really poor vision. I get that you may want better scaling etc. but this should not mean make it ugly too. Right?

• kelly zytaruk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New interface in Outlook is carp. New font is smaller while showing less information.

When making changes to appearance you must provide the ability in "options" to select an old or previous appearance.

I HATE THE REPLY, REPLY ALL AND FORWARD BUTTONS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY SCREEN. IT IS INCONVIENENT AND TAKES ME LONGER TO DO MY EMAILS. I LIKE THEM ON TOP OF THE BODY OF MY EMAL. MAKES IT SO MUCH EASIER AND FASTER!!!!

User experience on 14" laptop with 1905 is appalling.
    We need to be able to control the font, column and icon sizes and spacing depending on the device type. I accept that a 5 or 6" mobile device is different from a 14" widescreen laptop, hence why not allow each device to have its own format?
    And don't get me started on the changes to calendar entries. Why does the meeting headings now take the top 50% of the laptop screen??? Fine on a mobile device to stack category/title/organizer/time/location/response in 1 column - but NOT on a widescreen laptop for ****s sake. The new fields do mean that the Ribbon can be set to "Show Tabs" which gets some of the screen real estate back.

I'm using Compact Layout with row font at 8pt, yet even with "tighter spacing" I only get 10 email titles listed in my inbox column :(
    Main issues are that I can't shrink the column any further (as folders to the left and reding pane to the right) and the "From" field won't obey the row font size setting (e.g. 8pt).

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the new layout in Outlook is a complete waste of space, I sometimes thing the designers think we're blind.

You're not making a happy supporter of your products, rather spend time adding features than wasting time changing how it looks, that provides no value at all.

• William Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The UI changes in Office 365 and Office 2019 are absolutely AWFUL! The icons suck, the number of items on a ribbon bar tab is ridiculously overloaded, and the default sizes are so HUGE that you can't even fit 1/2 of what yo used to on the screen. How about we get opt-in questions instead of being force fed this ****?

Yet again Microsoft shows jsut how out of touch it is with its users. This new UI is an utter disaster. I need glasses normally but I am having to remove them in order to use Outlook the buttons are that large.

What was wrong with making the old ribbons 'scaleable'?

If these changes were made on the basis of customer requests please can you quantify the actual requests made, did they come from a nursery school? Were they over the age of 10? There is no way a sensible Office user would require/request this kind of revamp!

• Jon & Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since a recent Outlook update, it takes forever for Outlook to open what can be done to make it faster again very frustrating

• Alasdair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The changes to the ribbon implemented in update 1905 should be reversed.
    This update scaled everything to 125%. Adjusting the scaling to 100% in Control Panel / System / Display seemed to resolve everything except the ribbons in Outlook. These larger boxes (in which the text is the same size) look terrible, are no more obvious than before, and should be reverted back as soon as possible.

VERY poor re-design -
    having date, forward, etc on far right of message makes cutting/pasting/viewing difficult.
    Why would anyone approve this design?!

I HATE THAT THE REPLY, REPLY ALL AND FORWARD BUTTONS ARE NOW ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE COMPUTER SCREEN INSTEAD OF ABOUT THE BODY OF THE LETTER . I WISH IT WAS ABOUT THE EMAIL I NEED TO SEND.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 33 34

Feedback and Knowledge Base