OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

The "Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize Button" in Outlook 2016

Office programs allow users to customize keyboard shortcuts in the "Customize the Ribbon" dialog window. Why doesn't Outlook? The "Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize" button is missing.

28 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam Lein shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Abdulilah Saad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very bizarre that you can't edit or disable Keyboard shortcuts in Outlook. When i'm typing fast, and copy pasting, i tend to hit the (CTRL + Enter) at the same time. This is the shortcut for 'SEND'. Can you imagine how many email I've sent by mistake, and before I am done!

It is really frustrating, dangerous, and counterproductive to disable this feature.

MS should bring back the ability to edit/disable shortcuts.

• matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why take this powerful feature away? It existed previously and was very powerful. Please bring it back.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please - i keep accidently hitting the alt s button and sending emails before they are complete.

• Frank_AQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if outlook had a mode where emacs emulation was included in email message composing and editting.

• Frank_AQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook should be updated to support disabling keyboard shortcuts and selective configuring of keyboard shortcuts.

• Claudia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to work with ctrl+e to send mails faster and ctrl+w to duplicate the e-mail draft with Outlook 2016, with the last update those commands were replaced and I have not found which commands replaced the old ones or if even they exist,

• Pete Marion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For some reason, I frequently hit CTRL-R while typing email messages. It's very annoying to have to justify left over and over again when I should be able to simply disable that keyboard shortcut.

• Pete Marion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not everyone wants or needs keyboard shortcuts. They can actually inhibit productivity. Provide the ability to customize and/or disable keyboard shortcuts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook 2003, which I still use at home, treats the "inside" of an e-mail (the message sub-window) as a Word document, which allows the use of my many Word macros for formatting, editing, and navigation. More recent versions of Outlook *supposedly* use Word as the editor, but my Visual Basic Word macros don't work in Outlook 365, and apparently you can't "customize keyboard" in Outlook 365 (e.g., set Ctrl-Alt-S to type your signature block). I wish today's Outlook worked as Outlook 2003 did. Matti

Feedback and Knowledge Base