OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Need a spelling and grammar check in the toolbar

need a spelling and grammar check in the toolbar

84 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sal Tocco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For commonly used technical vocabulary, you could add them to the dictionary.

• Wayne Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a work around, in addition to the mini tool bar, go to File|Options|Email and select the check boxes to Always Check Spelling.... and if you click the button to the right side of that, you will get more options, such as to Always check grammar with spelling.

• Wayne Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few more details are needed. If you are writing a new email, there is already a Spelling & Grammar option that can be added to the mini toolbar. Also, if you want it in the mini toolbar all the time, then choose All Options when editing the mini toolbar and you can place it there all the time.

• Michael Munroe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mis-wrote "ther e". There is a space between "ther" and "e". The spell-check caught that "ther" was not a word, but it didn't show that "e" was the problem.

For single letters, especially not "I" or "a", you could check for a word on either side that is mis-spelled.

• jeff7101@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do a LOT of technical documentation and the plethora of spelling "squigglies" (red wavy underline) makes some sections unreadable. I put a "Language" link in the tool bar so I can select text, click Language, then select a language that I don't have installed - so the spellcheck turns off for the selection and squigglies go away.

What's really needed is a toolbar link to turn off grammar/spellcheck for the text that I select in order to get rid of impediments to readability. If I had all of the languages installed on my PCs, this little trick wouldn't work.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base