OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Could not edit the subject at the mailbox

Could not edit the subject line of the email in mailbox.

30 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, fix this up. We need to be able to amend the subject of an incoming email.
    Why would Microsoft have removed that functionality....Baffling

• Michael Bunney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used Outlook since version 1.0, and have always been able to add parenthetical notes to subject lines, in some cases as annotations, and in other cases for searching.

Documentation says you can do it in O365 and Outlook 2019 (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/edit-an-email-subject-line-08d60328-2a27-473e-8227-0b42a1ff2ce6), but it's broken in version 16.0.11001.20097, 32-bit.

• Alice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I am pretty disappointed with the last update, as now I can't change anymore the subject of the email received to rename (& log them properly). Are you restoring this feature?
    I loved it and used it a lot to file emails and information in my folders.

Thanks!

• Ian Zens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As per the others, I need to edit he subject line of received emails for filing. I was able to do this up until 11001.20074

• Marius Fleischmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I frequently change the subject line for instance when an invoice was paid etc. Please bring back ability to change subject line of emails in Inbox etc.

• L Porter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to edit the subject line and now I can't. I miss this feature and want it back...please.
    It allows me to put names & dates in the subject line, when the sender doesn't.
    It's easier to track when I add the needed info not in the original subject line.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can already edit emails someone has sent us, but occasionally I want to edit the subject line of an email I have been sent (as they put an misleading subject line and I know I won't find the email when I later search for it).

Would be good if such changes were tracked though.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base