OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Scroll email list with scroll bar

The scroll bar in Outlook does not actually scroll the email list. When the user drags it, the bar slides along, doing nothing. When the user releases it, the email list jumps to the commanded location.

Is this be the preferred UI? Please provide a way to make the scroll bar work the way it does in every other application.

19 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark Gibb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eric Ma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is utterly disappointing. When you have many emails in the message list and you want to locate one by scrolling the bar, it does not scroll, but jump !!! I agree with other comments that MS should be embarrassed for this. Other free email clients such as EM Client can do this without any problem at all !!

• Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am amazed by how few have complained so far!! this, along with scrolling through calendars is really bothering me on a daily basis!!
    FIX IT ASAP

• Mark Gibb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should be embarrassed that their premiere email desktop app in 2019 doesn't behave in the way applications have been behaving since 1998. Scroll bar dragging not actually scrolling the list? Are you kidding me?

I think Microsoft's desktop apps are going to heck because they are cross-compiled to work on a bunch of different OSs including less capable mobile devices. It's the only thing I can think of.

And that's no excuse.

• Mark Gibb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should be embarrassed that their premiere email desktop app in 2019 doesn't behave in the way applications have been behaving since 1998. Scroll bar dragging not actually scrolling the list? Are you kidding me?

I think Microsoft's desktop apps are going to heck because they are cross-compiled to work on a bunch of different OSs including less capable mobile devices. It's the only thing I can think of.

And that's not an excuse for them to put out garbage like this.

• atustian@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It boggles the mind that the largest software company in the world cannot solve this problem. Scrolling works perfectly in virtually every other Windows application. In fact, it used to work in Outlook 2003. What is the point of the scroll bar if it doesn't work?

Don't tell me to click the arrows at either end of the bar - that is no solution. Also don't tell me its impossible to implement because of the possible high number of emails. You have implemented smooth scrolling properly in the latest Outlook.com on the web. For God's sake get it fixed! I just sorted through over 4000 emails via the web interface because the UI works better than native Office!

• Amit Malhotra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shocking that the engineers at Microsoft did not implement this from the start of building Outlook 2016?! End of 2018 and it's still not implemented???

I use the free desktop email client 'EM Client' which does have smooth scrolling while dragging the scroll bar (i.e. I can see all my emails as I scroll).

Your supposed to be an expert world leader in the software field...yet you can't get the basics right Microsoft??? Embarrassing.

• sami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we definitely need this. live scrolling works on all other Office products why not here?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that a feature that is badly needed is smooth scrolling using a track pad or mouse. I just found out that if one has a TOUCH screen that smooth scrolling CAN be performed. However, with a non-touch display, one is out of luck and has to jerk (page down/up) or "guess" at a message location.

Feedback and Knowledge Base