OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Open folder containing email search result. Search, select email found, right-click, option, open containing email folder

Open folder containing email search result.
Search, select email found, right-click, option, open containing email folder
Just like file explorer

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Richard Loba shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ed Joslin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, current method works but is not intuitive. The ability to right-click on the containing folder of a message in the search results and have the folder highlighted or opened would speed access to the related files and/or let a user quickly file a new email from the inbox in the same folder.

• Paco Olivares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incluir opción de abrir carpeta contenerdora del mail seleccionado, en el menú contextual que aparece al pulsar el botón derecho del ratón, cuando estás revisando los resultados de una búsqueda.
    También aplicable a cualquier elemento que resulte en una búsqueda.

• Nigel Freeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is possible to open the containing folder of any email found in search - just very cumbersome.

Currently:
    ● You have to open the email
    ● Use the keyboard combination Shift+Ctrl+f
    ● This opens a window with advanced search options.
    ● Choose the Browse button at the top right of this new window
    ● This opens a browser tree with the containing folder shown

It would be better to double left-mouse-click and/or right-mouse-click menu option to either:
    ● Simply expand the folder tree in the main folder pane to the containing folder
    ● Open the window that is opened when you click on Browse in the Advanced Search window

• Chris Phaneuf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Often, when searching through emails, I will right-click a sender's email address, select 'copy' from the resulting right-click menu options, then paste that address in the 'Search' box, change the default option in the 'Search' box to 'Current Folder', then execute my search. This is ok, but not the most efficient way I can think of. I would rather an option to 'Search' from the right-click menu. It would save me a few steps along the way.

Feedback and Knowledge Base