OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Categories (and colors) do not work in Outlook 2016 with IMAP email settings

Categories (and colors) do not work in Outlook 2016 with IMAP email settings

44 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jintao shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since switching to IMAP which in my opinion far out ways the pros from a pop3 account, simply for the advantage of having it sync on laptops/mobiles does not compare…it's not like for like, simple as.
    When viewing emails on POP3, each email account would come into the same inbox account. However, with IMAP I rather love the fact that I can see individual emails accounts.
    The need to still allocate a colour in the categories column is vital for me to be able to view at a glance what that email is about...ie on POP3 "payments all yellow" click the category column and they're all there. IMAP NOT anymore, my whole planning is gone, as I had a category colour for everything I did on email.
    When I had a conversation with one of Microsofts absolutely well informed live chat employees, and explained to her that I was advised that POP3 was no longer viable and really obsolete, and that's why I went with IMAP…she replied "Pop is not obsolete but imap the recommended account type to use. I understand how this all can be confusing and frustrating since there are pros and cons for each account type. I wish I could provide more of an explanation why color categories are no longer supported on imap. If you would like to provide user feedback for our Outlook engineers, I'd be happy to provide you that link :-)” That’s why I’m here!
    It really doesn't make sense that Outlook doesn't support IMAP on every feature?
    I’ve used so many different email providers for personal account use over the years and have to say that gmail would be preference for simplicity, I wouldn’t have a lot of personal emails.
    I’ve always preferred Outlook for my business account, it’s worked great with all the features, but colour categorising made things so simple.
    Now that’s not available on an IMAP account I’m so frustrated how this could be overlooked by Microsoft???

• Wendy Literski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this function back - I've been trying to remedy this since the update that took it away. This is SO frustrating! I have over 50 categories that show up in the 'set quick click', so I know they are there, but I can't add the category as I add a contact. I work for a General Contractor and have used these categories to organize the trades by the scope we're looking for to bid on upcoming projects. I've had to do this manually since this function has been taken away. BRING THIS FUNCTION BACK!! I want to see ALL of my categories, not colors. This is ridiculous - ask before you take functions away. I created my bidders list 25 years ago, add to it weekly, and this function has been critical.

• Stinger22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are making Outlook worthless to me by removing such key features such as BCM where I could organize my customers and accounts and now even basic categorizing them. I may as well just live those email address over to Thunderbird mail. PLEASE bring back categories!!!!

• Kym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this function back. It is very important to my everyday email tasks. Critical to my functioning at work productively!!

I am very disappointed that the categories in Outlook 2016 on IMAP are totally missing. It was a tool that served me a lot. I tried to add the command to my ribbon and even on the toolbar, the icon appears, but the command is dimmed and is not accessible. Is it possible to tell me how I could regain this function.

• Luke Gravett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe you have stopped the colour categorisation feature. It worked fine up until the last update. Why on earth have you removed it? This is crazy!
    The tech said it now doesn't work with IMAP accounts, but it did until last week so the technology is obviously there, it was just your choice to remove it. Why?

Same issue.

I've been using Ctrl+Fn keys to assign categories on IMAP emails since switching to Office 365. This suddenly stopped working.

Please can you include it very important to my managing my email account

PKB

Really mad to find out that I cannot color code my appointments. Everything looks the same. Color coding is a must, please do whatever it takes to include this feature.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. I've been using Ctrl+Fn keys to assign categories on IMAP emails for 18+ months since switching to Office 365. As of last week this suddenly stopped working. C'mon MS - why take away something that was working fine and is so useful?

• Anonymouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue as Anon below. IMAP account - As of 7th, Color categories are not available even via F key shortcuts. Existing categories are still visible and mail can be searched by category, but can't set any new ones.

This used to work for IMAP e-mail folders via the Ctrl+F2 through Ctrl+F12 shortcut keys being assigned to apply the categories. However, as of 7th February these shortcut keys are now being ignored when on an IMAP e-mail folder - presumably there was another update to Outlook in the last couple of days which is now blocking the previously working shortcuts.

• Joanne Coppens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Color coding is intrinsic to my workflow with multiple accounts and many different projects running at once. The lack of reference to this gap in the functionality also meant I had to waste the time of a support tech on a question that should be easily answered through help FAQs. Please fix this.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable this functionality and add it to the Tags group in the ribbon, just like it is if you are connecting to an Exchange server.

• Nicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really unhelpful not having this tool on IMAP email settings. Makes it very hard for me to do my job effectively.

Let me add my vote for this, it's an essential function. Also, the built in Help files should highlight this gap in function. I spent a long time investigating on my own before I received the work-around info from the support staff.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please fix this soon thank you, the workaround is really quite tedious

I do need the ability to change appointment colors in my calendar!
    I have a go around from Techsupport.
    I do need this basic function again in my outlook, The calendar is why I chose Outlook.

• edgar levin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with Alec's comment. Why would this feature not be available to all Outlook 2016 users??

← Previous 1

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base