OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Auto complete using full contact list instead of just "recent contacts"

When I'm writing an email, I would like to be able to type an email from my contacts into the "to" bar and have outlook autocomplete the email without me having to go to the contacts menu.

331 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Graeme shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ed Bates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just another problem with Office 365 /Windows 10. I can't wait to dump the whole lot and move to an Apple system.

Pity, as Win 7 and Office 2003 worked beautifully for years before supposedly upgrading to this junk.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So frustrating that this was removed. I have over 1000 emails that I need to use and remember. I am constantly searching for old email
        addresses when they used to just drop down. I want the system to go back to the way it used to be. The sooner the better. I am remined 20 times a day how much I miss this feature.

• Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who are still waiting on a resolution to this, you can revert to the old AutoComplete list (full list) by adding the following Registry change
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options​
        DisableAutoCompleteUpdate=dword:1

Credit to: Carlos - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/601982f7-817d-4a60-aeed-8cb9b70f6294/outlook-quotautocompletequot-now-replaced-by-five-quotrecent-peoplequot?forum=outlook

Want to be able to turn this off to minimise the risk of sending an email to the wrong person

• Don Eizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am with AMY, should be able to type the name not the email address. THe most recent used should come up first, but then include anyone in the "People" list.

totally agree, auto complete suggestions would be so much easier and quicker (much preferred old system)

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really miss the good old days when what is being suggested is how it actually was.

So why was it changed from what "just worked" the current laborious method of having to go through the Contacts?

I'm guessing it had something to do with huge organizations and too many suggestions for people in organizations where everyone starts off with a huge Contact List.

So make it an option to turn off "Make recipient suggestions from full Contact Lists, not just recent contacts".

Home, student and SOHO users would usually opt to let Outlook make suggestions from their full Contact lists.

And the admins and users of enterprise Outlook installations could disable make suggestions from full Contact lists.

the change to simply 5 recent contacts needs reversed. If not reversed, it needs expanded from only 5.

I find it much more useful to have a "best fit" list based on what is being typed over "most recent." Especially since the most recent list occupies the top of the list. Give us that option.

Outlook is a tool for business. It makes no sense to make it more difficult and tedious to use. The more focus energy I use on something that should be routine, the less I have when it counts. This is very frustrating. At least offer the option for autocomplete.

Yas this new system sucks big time. I would fire the person who messed this up. New products are supposed to be an improvement not regression from what was. Microsoft has turned into a **** Organization - not user friendly at all anymore

• Richard Butterworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For what it's worth I'm adding my voice to those clamouring for MS to revert to full 'AutoComplete' from the pointless and preposterous 'Recent people', wherein 5 recent email addressees only are displayed at first key-in when emailing instead of every address with the same initial. Sometimes we need to email someone we've not contacted recently. The original AutoComplete allowed this, but MS appears not to realise the value of such a function and, for some strange reason, has chosen to disable it. Believe it or not, Microsoft, not everyone enjoys total recall of every precise email address we store. Is anybody at Microsoft actually hearing this, or are we shouting impotently into a black hole?

If Outlook could behave the way Entourage for the Mac platform handled the searching for contacts. As you typed in any of the addressing fields of an email, it would 'wild card' the search of your entire address book(s) and present any contact that matched the string you were building.

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have also found that I have to type in the email address to get the autocomplete to populate. I can't just type the person's name. This may just be something that I don't know how to use or change...

• Susan Kridler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Registry Edit:

Start > Run > Regedit
        Go to the following location.
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options
        Create a new key of the DWORD type and name it "DisableAutoCompleteUpdate"
        Now set the value of the key as "1".

-------------

Credit: This solution was posted by autotalon at the following address.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/601982f7-817d-4a60-aeed-8cb9b70f6294/outlook-quotautocompletequot-now-replaced-by-five-quotrecent-peoplequot?forum=outlook&prof=required.

← Previous 1

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base