OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Auto complete using full contact list instead of just "recent contacts"

When I'm writing an email, I would like to be able to type an email from my contacts into the "to" bar and have outlook autocomplete the email without me having to go to the contacts menu.

595 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Graeme shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stephen Cunliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG this is one of the most frustrating aspects of outlook on desktop. At a minimum if I have a corporate address book, search that list please!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very frustrating: since this option is introduced, outlook crashes as soon as we type an address in to/cc or typing '@' in the mail body. The mail is lost and so we can start all over again. We are using exchange 2010 sp3, any change this is incompatible with the recent people list as outlook crashes upon showing this screen?

This is a huge issue for me working in an office where I have MANY distribution lists that all start the same. It's impossible to remember all the DLs and having them pre-populate as options to choose from saves me countless hours of work!

Recent contact needs to show more than five contacts. It is not sufficient as the are are often more than five contact with the same first or last name. Please bring back the older version of autocomplete.

• jozef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, all contacts and for God sake, please fix that clunky behavior when one contact has more email addresses

• GoBux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please disable the "Recent People" and "Recent Search" pop-ups in Outlook. I wouldn't think they're considered useful to very many users, they're actually a nuisance for many of us.

Yes, please provide an option to get rid of Recent People pop-up in Outlook. It is far too large, and just isn't helpful least in the workplace where one usually isn't e-mailing the same person repeatedly. Too many of recent updates to Office have made its use in a professional office much harder - not much easier.

• LG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please do an update and take off that new "Recent People Pop-up Box". It's annoying! I want it back the old way and - also, I want to be able to enter LAST Name, First name; Not the other way around. Sr. Executive Assistant for 40+ Years! Don't Change what isn't BROKEN!!! thanks!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recent people is useless, but it actually causes another problem. It hides the To field you need to type in when this "recent" selection dialog pops up and then notice "You are not responding to the latest message in this conversation..." shifts the To, ** fields down. The Recent dialog stays where it is hiding the To field. You have to click again to type in the To field. Very annoying and just another productivity hit from Microsoft trying to be to fancy without adequate testing and user feedback on new features before implementing.

Get rid of recent people - or provide a way to turn it off and go back to auto complete

you need to get rid of the Recent People in the To field when emailing someone... I want the old autocomplete back.. this new version stinks

• Ed Bates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just another problem with Office 365 /Windows 10. I can't wait to dump the whole lot and move to an Apple system.

Pity, as Win 7 and Office 2003 worked beautifully for years before supposedly upgrading to this junk.

So frustrating that this was removed. I have over 1000 emails that I need to use and remember. I am constantly searching for old email
    addresses when they used to just drop down. I want the system to go back to the way it used to be. The sooner the better. I am remined 20 times a day how much I miss this feature.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base