OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Do not show search suggestions ( history ) in Search field of Outlook 2016

I am using Outlook 2016. When I try to search my inbox for a message, once I click in the search box, Outlook "helpfully" gives me dropdown suggestions based on my last several inbox searches. This is completely unhelpful because very few people search same thing twice. Suggestion boxes are so obtrusive that I almost always click on one accidentally, which messes up the search I am actually trying to do. Please tell me that turning this off is an option! It's driving me crazy.

19 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Oldörp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suche: Vorschläge überdecken Detailsuchbegriffe

Search: Suggestions mask detail search terms

Bei der Suchfunktion habe ich Felder der erweiterten Suche zugefügt (von, An…) Bei Klick in das Suchfenster überdecken die Vorschläge der letzten Suche aber diese Felder – das ist lästig, da man zunächst woanders hinklicken muss, bevor man direkt in von usw. etwas eintragen kann

In the search function, I have added fields of advanced search (from, An …) By clicking in the search window, the suggestions of the last search but these fields cover – this is annoying, since you first have to click somewhere else, before directly in from something can register

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i like the drop down, but just want it to close when i click on the one i want.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agreed. It's a useless feature because you always tend to click on a previous result accidentally and then you have to close it and start the search all over again. Please allow an option to disable it. It's the most annoying thing ever.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed- this is against GDPR if the search applied is a customers email address - please allow the function to clear search history in Current Mailbox search

Get rid of top results in outlook. Top Results are repetitive, consume space. and terribly annoying.

• Jean-Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Conversation display is somewhat useful if people remember to change the subject when using old thread to start new conversation. But in the case of the Search window. I want to see the item I search for and not the 10+ messages that are part of the conversation. I have not found a way to make the search result only show the individual message... Also would be nice if it has the ability not to search the Copy of the message included into the original...

Please provide the ability to turn off previous searches in the Outlook 2016 search box. It's annoying when a one-time search is basically there eternally now. Previous versions of Outlook did not keep this information, why should 2016?

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base