OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Please bring back the classic theme and more colors in Outlook 2016

Please bring back the classic themes for Office 2016 like we had in Outlook 2003 and 2007. I

I use the classic theme in Windows 7 and I would prefer to use that, than the current 4 themes currently provided in Office 2016.

Why do I want this feature to come back? The classic theme is much easier on my eyes than the themes offered currently in Office 2016.

Also, you must have more options to add color in outlook! I loved the dashboard of office 2007 and just upgraded to 2016 and it seems so sterile!

Thanks,
Chris

82 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris -- Chris@CWM030.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jason B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with these comments especially Fazian's. Further, not only is the blue icon on the task bar blue, like Word's is, but Edge's task bar icon is also blue. Assigning each a unique color (like Adobe's red) would allow us to more quickly distinguish when trying to switch.

• Faizan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook's blue color scheme is not only too similar to Word, but the over all look is very cold and harsh. Many people out there spend hours a day almost exclusively answering emails in Outlook and writing documents in Word and the Classic Gold look would help not only with task switching but with reducing eye strain.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EVERYTHING BLENDS TOGETHER with current color schemes and it is extremely ******* the eyes. Bring back the old 2007 views!

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the color catagoires back into the calendar. I am using 365. Please give us at least a dozen colors to choose from. We were able to do this on previous versions and it is very handy. Thank you.

• Aaron Zimmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me begin by saying that I am a graphic-driven person. My first operating system was Window 3.11, which was revolutionary in using icons instead of command props.

For the past several years I have avoided upgrading to the newest version of Office because the color scheme is horrible. I purchased 2010, but immediately uninstalled it because of the bland color scheme. And I have been using 2007 ever since simply to avoid the new color scheme. However, due to some operating corruptions, I had to upgrade to Office 365. I HATE THE GRAPHIC AND COLOR SCHEMES. It is horribly bland. I can't believe Microsoft has failed to provide a well-balanced color scheme for the newest versions of office. Or at least give the users more than 4 color scheme options. What is that about??
    PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS! Heck, even if you gave the user the option to view the programs in a "Retro" or "Classic" view, it would eliminate my complaint, and I guarantee you would see others like myself upgrade. Please fix this -- sooner, rather than later.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs more functionality to customize the look to how the individual end user wants. For example, I'm now switching off of my preferred Black Theme since when I right click a calendar item, select 'Show As', then 'Out of Office' I get bright pink on black. I go to customize it...seems to be no such function to customize. Get customers into the product and allow customization, personalization.

Office 365 taustavärejä saisi olla enemmän. Ja Sahköpostin kuvakkeet voisi olla värikkäämpiä

• Allen P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has got to be one of the worst decisions Microsoft has ever made. It is unbearable looking at these. While I'm sure you think we are forced to continue using your software, I can assure you we are not. You need to listen to us. While there might be 2-3 people on this planet who likes this there are hundreds of thousands of us who hate it.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using the "colorful" profile. All the others are not useable for me. The trouble is that your new white colorless icons are on a very light gray background in both the Quick Access and the Main ribbon toolbars. If I could find a way to darken the background to some darher color gray that would improve contrast between the white icons and the almost white background.

• Jakub Humpolec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least make standard folders Inbox, Outbox, Trash, Contacts, Calendars in Colorful Theme a bit more colorful, so our eyes can find them in the tree. Please!

• Stewart Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on, people. Microsoft knows about this. We've been complaining for years. It just isn't going to happen. Their new look is to make everything white on off-white on eggshell. All of the advances of the last 20 years are gone. They've taken the flat-ness of the 90's, added in the instability of Vista, and merged them with the annoying ugliness of Windows 8. Viola! Office 2016!

• T. Frost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The colours were just fine in Office 2010. It's difficult to read all the grey, sometimes on grey backgrounds, when you reach a certain age. It's like reading through fog. The current all-light-grey UI design fad is a disaster when your vision is not perfect.

This white with a black outline for everything is distracting and hard to work with. Go back to the way it was. No one likes the update.

• Judy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More colors and designs for office outlook like the internet outlook.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now we only have 4 to choose from: Colorful, Dark Gray, Black, White. More options for customization would be greatly appreciated!

• Kendra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The options right now are "colorful" which simply adds a blue at the very top of the screen, which is not "colorful" in my opinion; dark gray, which at least visually breaks up the different sections of the email application, making it easier to distinguish what is what; black; or white, which is pretty bland.

Also, why is it that the theme color for my Microsoft Office account appears on almost every other app except Outlook, Word, Excel? I personally do not like the blue and would prefer a little more color as I have to look at my email all the time. Thanks!

← Previous 1

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Settings

Feedback and Knowledge Base