OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide ability to change the color of the reading pane or set background and text color for the reading pane

The dark theme is great in Outlook, however the inability to change the background and text color of the reading pane make it almost painful.

It would be fantastic to have the ability to configure the default CSS for the reading pain and text/html therein.

346 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gert Dubbeldam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

restore original colors in backscreen text, from grey to black and white. Grey text is hard to read for elderly people

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also be accomplished with colored flags on IMAP accounts, which outlook does not do although Thunderbird does.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can someone tell me how to change the black background in my email panel?

• André Chaperon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the option to apply the Dark Gray theme automaticaly to the navigation and reading pane, just as in Visual Studio for instance.

In the Coming soon feature the email for flagged items appears with a slightly transparent red highlight, this is great. I have other rules setup for change the color of the text but it be great if there was a change color background to look similar to how the Flagged items look.

Allow us the flexibility to choose our colour to customize the view. Today options and customization are a must and should be here as well. Previous versions were much better and easier on the eyes

Yes. Prefer black with white text. Also I have customers who are on Outlook 2010 because the color off 2013+ causes headaches for them. I think a dark theme would greatly help them, but the most important part of it is the reading pane.

• Steve Brantley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree. In order to combat this, I have switched to using the online portal for Outlook 365. I use a dark theme on my browser that automatically switches the websites to a darker appearance.

On top of customized reading pane color, please also add the function to allow users to set the reading pane color based on read/unread status. This is much easier for users to distinguish read/unread status than just looking at customized text color.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just apply the outlook theme to the reading pane, too. Why this wasn't done in the first place is a mystery to me.

• Sara Pei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the version 2013 better in terms of the background color, for which I can change the background of Outlook (and also Word, Excel...) to be 'apple green' to make eyes comfortable.

I agree!! I have my entire desktop customized and I like the background theme black for my eye but then I have this HUGE EYE SORE of a white reading pane I cannot change the background color for. Please help!

• Devin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be cool if you could customize the inbox to have a theme so that emails could be easier to read, doesn't have to apply to sent messages just the ones received.

Agreed.

Darker Themes are often desired to reduce eye strain. However, currently the White Panel of the Reading Pane is too high contrast relative to the black & grey colors surrounding it. This is incredibly stressful to the eye. It's too high contrast. This scheme feels even harsher on the eyes than the default scheme.

← Previous 1

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Settings

Feedback and Knowledge Base