OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide ability to change the color of the reading pane or set background and text color for the reading pane

The dark theme is great in Outlook, however the inability to change the background and text color of the reading pane make it almost painful.

It would be fantastic to have the ability to configure the default CSS for the reading pain and text/html therein.

463 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is ridiculous. i mean, microsoft, COMEOOOOONNNNNNNN. how hard is it to provide this functionality. feel like rippin my head off.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, does anyone know how to change color of reading pane in outlook app? in dark theme. This is done by default in OWA, but can't find an option to do this in stanalone app.. this looks ugly, everything dark and white reading pane...
        ?

• asbjorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More contrast on Outlook folders. After update they got white. IT looks bad and is not good

• Philipp P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft!

Its more over one year that we requested the review pane in black. What happend so far? Can you give us a little Update on this?
        There is still no black review pane. There is still no Info on this Forum Post on what will happen.
        Are you completely ******** on your customers?
        This triggers me hardcore.
        Thanks
        Philipp

• Philipp P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft!

Its more over one year that we requested the review pane in black. What happend so far? Can you give us a little Update on this?
        There is still no black review pane. There is still no Info on this Forum Post on what will happen.
        Are you completely ******** on your customers?
        This triggers me hardcore.
        Thanks
        Philipp

• Mike D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it IS painful to have a dark mode and yet the reading pane is bright white

• Gerry Christiansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please change this...the dark mode is awesome, but how in the world did you not also darken the default reading pane message background...apparently this was developed during amateur hour *face palm*

• Nik Lipor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I love dark grey but my eyes water trying to read emails because of the blinding white color of the reading pane.

Úprava vzhledu oken

Možnost nastavení okraje neaktivního okna na jinou uživatelsky volitelnou barvu. Nastavení záhlaví a okraje aktivního okna na jinou uživatelsky volitelnou barvu. Toto provést pro celou sadu Office.

• Pavel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You made great changes in VS and VS Code, at least with help of your open source libraries it possible to make powershell in normal colors.

Word - possible to make it's page background dark.

Why it's still not possible to make MS Outlook reading pane dark or set background and text color for the reading pane?! In "The Bat" it was done in 2005...

Make Outlook normal dark mode!

• Samuel Fortin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Appreciate the ability to modify the Office Background, and the Office Theme, but as many other posters have indicated, the high-contrast Reading Pane that in Outlook we can re-position is limited to White. This is odd since the "messages pane" (?) is nicely colorized with low-contrast grey, and slightly darker grey with new messages, but the reading pane is an after-thought it seems.

In addition, this color is leveraged in the other Office Apps. I for example cannot see text-box hinting in OneNote, because they are washed out on my monitors. Not ideal.

Please provide a means of adjusting this. This would support users experiencing high eye strain, depending on their working environment.

What would be even more enhancing than this? Provide a setting for each app that allows one to either inherit the background and color theme selected in one of the office apps, -or- allow one to bypass, and select colorization configurations that are application-specific!

Thank you kindly for continuing to make Office great, and partnering with end-users by soliciting their feedback.

Allow more colors then gray, more grey and black, not everybody is depressed nerd.

• Gert Dubbeldam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

restore original colors in backscreen text, from grey to black and white. Grey text is hard to read for elderly people

This could also be accomplished with colored flags on IMAP accounts, which outlook does not do although Thunderbird does.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can someone tell me how to change the black background in my email panel?

• André Chaperon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the option to apply the Dark Gray theme automaticaly to the navigation and reading pane, just as in Visual Studio for instance.

In the Coming soon feature the email for flagged items appears with a slightly transparent red highlight, this is great. I have other rules setup for change the color of the text but it be great if there was a change color background to look similar to how the Flagged items look.

← Previous 1 3

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Settings

Feedback and Knowledge Base