OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Increase the number of color options in the Outlook Calendar palette from 9 to 16-25, increase contrast, and allow user editing of colors.

655 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

58 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More contrast in one's colors is a huge deal for some people. The fact that this has been a fixed/static 9 colors for so long is ridiculous. It's the 21st century! Give me my colors!

• Jared Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization just moved calendars from Google to Outlook, and this is the number one complaint I'm getting from my users about the new calendar experience, especially our travel admin and project managers, who routinely need to view calendars for 10-20 traveling team members at a time. Google's custom color support made this really easy. It sounds simple, but it's making it very difficult to get user buy-in on the move.

• Brandon M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simplified Update/Change more calendar colors and background text color

In the new Preview of Outlook 2016 additions, the calendar Coloring mixed with the current text color of white, makes it impossible to read. This needs to be changed.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow customization or addition of new colors for categorization. The selection of colors available are not visually appealing and are quite harsh.

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My firm would definitely benefit from a larger color selection for shared calendars. Currently, too many of the color options aren't distinct (the pink and the orange-pink, for example, look very similar) and make it difficult to, at a glance, tell whose schedule is whose. Having an option to customize colors instead of selecting from a preselected set would nix this problem, too.

We have 6 people at our office, all of whom share calendars with one another. We need to have a separate color assigned to each person's individual calendar in order to avoid confusion. It is imperative to have more color choices that are separate and distinct from one another. The current options are limiting, especially how close in color some are to others.

Needs to just support custom colors so we can set a color that represents the calendar, not just some arbitrary random color.

NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME.

• Josh Huggins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs to just support custom colors so we can set a color that represents the calendar, not just some arbitrary random color.

• Duane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New color scheme and layout format is AWFUL.
        - It is extremely difficult to quickly scan and process as all the fields meld into one.
        - No highlights, no borders. Really were your layout people high when they thought this layout up! Google is kicking you rear in user friendliness and visual ergonomics for end users

This is very much required, the desktop outlook looks ugly with only white color (unlike 2007,2010) which is colorful and looks beautiful.

Give us more color choices to customize

• Sonja Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why allow the ability to overlay the calendars but not the ability to print them the way they are laid out on the screen. 2018 has been a big disappointment.

• Edwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously! Its 2018, we need modern and customizable colour palettes for every aspect of MS Office!

• Stacy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using the dark gray theme in Outlook the # of unread messages that appears to the right of each folder is very difficult to see. It's almost the same color as the folder name and the folder name is not bolded when you have unread mail, so it makes it really difficult to see, at a glance, where your unread emails are and how many.

I use every day "Categorize" in main Outlook ribbon. Can you consider to enlarge Categories menu with colors from default 15 to 25.
        I used every color you gave me 25 and set name to Category. But when I want to categorize mail then there is no in that moment Category which I didn't use for example 10 days. So I must click right mouse button and get menu Categorize and select proper category for mail.
        Consider more colors for categories and please change deafult 15 categories to all which is now 25 in my Outlook 2016.

Kind regards,
        Ozren Sirola
        Rijeka, Croatia

• Aubrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge and something I've hoped would have happened already. It's impossible to pick enough colors from the current selection. Most are ugly colors and unnecessary. I'm surprised that we can't make custom colors yet.

• Johann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important topic to me, the existing colors are too less and not OK for me.

• Steve Sanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made the comment below on June 12, 20108. I am just now (8/17/18) receiving a notification that this message was sent to an un-monitored mailbox. This mailbox was what was supplied by microsoft for comments. So, I know now why nothing has ever been done to correct any of the 100's of comments I see concerning problems with Office 2016.
        This is the message I sent on 6/12/18.

I have the same problem. When I installed office 2016, I used the
        categories tab to select colors for calendar appointments. And now I
        cannot find the category tab anywhere, it just disappeared. I have called the free Microsoft help desk and they have no explanation for the tab disappearing or how to make it reappear short of "reinstalling" the whole Microsoft office 2016 and see if then it reappears. I also have problems with the amount of colors available for appointments. I have been watching the comments about the number of color options and font size. If I had known they had changed all the good features from the 2007 version that I had in the office I never would have purchased this 2016 version of Microsoft Office. It seems evident that from all of the comments made on this web page for almost a year about the colors and font size along with other items, that Microsoft is ignoring all of the comments or they have no plans to do anything about them. I cannot understand how it would be such a problem for Microsoft to send out a fix to correct all of these problems
        with 2016 that they created.

← Previous 1 3

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base