OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a feature or option to assign colors to Calendars in Microsoft Outlook 2016

This is not for the "categories" for color-coding each entry... those haven't really changed, and although I would love more color options, it works. BUT, I'm really sad that the new "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016" Outlook calendar color options have been severely reduced and honestly folks, these colors are sad. Get rid of pink. Forever. Or make it the 30th choice. So hard to look at. We need more than 9 options... I regularly have far more than 9 calendars open and need to be able to quickly differentiate. It is nice that you can now dedicate a specific color to a specific calendar - that works, so please don't change it. :)

Also, color categories on calendar items need to be available cross platform. That is to say if I have my calendar items color coded, those items should also show up in color on calendars that have been published to the web. They should also show up in color in Outlook on the Android, iPhone and any other platforms.

220 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Han Huynh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suggest to improve outlook calendar! May be add some more color coding. On day viewing, the day number on top left corner needs to be bigger and to be filled with 1 color that look different than the rest.
        Also, it needs to be fit its contents.

• Mark Rummings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can more calendar colours be made available. There are only 9 in the current Outlook 365 (as of November 2018). They are all pastel colours. Also the today indicator, currently a thin line of colour at the top of the current day, is not prominent enough and is difficult to see on a month view.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add more colours to the Calander or give us to chance to add more

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide the option to color code calendar entry text versus only by category. Allow the printing of calendar to reflect colored text if selected in print setting.

• dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like such a simple and easy fix. The current limited colors don't stand out, color options are terrible, many look the same. why is this so hard for MSFT to figure out? Having bold colors and lots of options makes calendaring much easier.

The new ooo calendar blocking color is too light. It isn't bold enough to stand out.

As mentioned before, the Colors are too dark and there are not enough of them. I use them to differentiate between different Projects I'm working on and Need a wider choice of coulours.

The colors for meeting categories are too dark, too stark. They should be lighter so that the text has better contrast. When you print and post a calendar, it is very hard to read and the colors are outdated. We should have an option for color scheme. Never should have changed the old color palette. And, they are too similar ... at the least, why can't we have option "more colors" to be able to lighten.

• Mike Brenner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am color blind. The color options for Outlook Calendars are very limited, and I can't tell many apart. It would be extremely helpful if I could define colors that are useful to my personal vision. I used to be able to do this in older versions of Outlook.

• Alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to have more color categories; more pastels. I agree with a previous comment: "give us the option of making the whole calendar softer. Each date, text, etc is figuratively shouting at me. I can change color, but not contrast and the power of the screen. Please fix."

• Helena Sif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree with some comments below. This is 2018 and not 1996 and we should have more color options then these pastel colors. Please, how hard would it be?

• Chad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are currently 6 calendar overlay color options to choose from. Please add additional colors. For some reason my Outlook phone app has more colors to choose from, including my wife's favorite color, purple. Please add more colors to the desktop version of Outlook's Calendar Overlays so that I can make my wife's shared calendar overlay purple.

Thanks so much!

• Adrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Calendar needs more contrast, it's difficult for me!!!!! (bad eyes) There are only pastel colors. What a bad Update of Office 2016

give us the option of making the whole calendar softer. Each date, text, etc is figuratively shouting at me. I can change color, but not contrast and the power of the screen. Please fix.

• Rebecca Phuong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our organization, we manage several events for our staff. We'd like to color categorize them but, when we send the invite, also have the color we categorize the invite to also be colored for the receiving participant. This allows them to categorize events/meetings that involve the greater staff without having to do it manually.

• piccanne@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In an older version of Outlook, the current day's background was darker. Now there is just a small blue line. I spend to much time looking for the current day and the monthly view.

• Robin Sturdivant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use my Outlook to manage many phone appointments throughout the day, and multiple times I've either scheduled incorrectly or misread and called at the incorrect time because of this challenge. Most often it's an error of 30 minutes, so even simply having alternate color shading as most paper calendars do would help prevent error. Squinting at the screen to try to read the time or having to hover (which doesn't always work) or open the appointment to ensure the right time wastes my time.
        note: I've seen this issue posted since 2016 on multiple spots online - why has this not yet been addressed?

← Previous 1 3

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base