OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bug: search box doesn't search for what I type

Bug: When I begin typing a search term in the "Search Current Mailbox" input box, a dropdown box appears listing recent searches. Whatever, I don't intend to click on any of those. I finish typing my search term and hit "Enter" - outlook does not search for what I typed. Instead, it searched for the term in the dropdown that happened to be under the cursor of my untouched mouse.

104 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

joalollivier@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Patrick McGannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am frustrated by this issue multiple times a week. While the search function is exceptional once the proper inquiry is accepted, this bug of automatically jumping to the previously searched term drives me nuts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I search in outlook it shows "something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed"

• ANIL BABULAL GANGRADE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MY SPECIFIC ISSUE IS SEARCH CRITERIA FAILS IN OUTLOOK.

I UNDERSTAND IT HAS HAPPEND WITH OTHERS BUT MICROSOFT OFFICE IS NOT DOING ANYTHING.

THE MESSAGE CROPS UP AS UNDER:

" ….SEARCH PERFORMENCE SHALL BE IMPACTED BECAUSE OF PROBLOM WITH HOW OUTLOOK SEARCH IS CONFIGURED."

IN THAT CASE WE SHOULD GET SUITABLE ADVISE HOW WE SHOULD CONFIGURE, AT LEAST MICRO SOFT SUPPORT TEAM SHOULD HAVE RESOLVED IT. BUT THEY THEMSLF ARE FAILING FOR FOUR DAYS

• ANIL BABULAL GANGRADE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Serch is not per criteria given by me and a message crops inn as under:

" Search performance shall be impacted because of a problem with how Outlook search is configured'

Microsoft support team has spent 4 days without getting over this problom

I have the same problem.

It was fixed by previous update but after the latest update, the search won't search!

• Steve DeBellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is incredibly frustrating and has been happening for months now. It takes me triple the time to search for something. When can we expect a fix?

Yes to be clear, the recent search box pops up under your mouse and when you try to click into a search field to enter your new search term, you accidentally click a recent search since it covers most of the search box. Problem is two fold. Placement of the pop up box is in the way of clicking search box AND there is no option to turn this off that I know of.

You need to be able to index very large Outlook files -anywhere on the computer - my main Outlook file is 11GB - the file is in \Documents\Outlook Files - not in App Data where some other accounts have their files - so you need to be able to index across directories which may also be on different drives.

Need to be able to remove exclusion of App Data on drive where it is stored (usually C:) - the indexing of multiple Outlook profiles needs to work too.

• Karen Homan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is by far the most frustrating "feature" ever. It slows down everything you want to achieve with a mailbox search, I absolutely loathe the autocomplete / search suggestion idiocy. The search seems to provide a drop down (which never moves) based on your last searches related to a certain word, or person, and because the drop down doesn't move or disappear you end up inadvertently clicking one of those options, thereby ensuring it remains in your "top searched phrases". There also doesn't seem to be an option to turn the predictive search off. Most annoying.

I am experiencing the same problem and find it quite annoying. If I type an item in the Search box, nothing appears. It does not search for the item typed in the box.

I slot have same problem when i search something it will appear when i closed than i have paste or write again on search then it works before that it wasn't like that and when i search something and if i reply or forward it's not appearing so i have to close and search aging than it will appear before that it wasn't like that. Please sort this out it will my work much easier.

I was provided the latest version of Microsoft Office. The set up is completed but cannot search appear "No Result". Please advise ?

I also have an issue with "Search" function as well. I always have to click "Sub-folders" in addition to click of "Search" when I am looling for a certain sender's email.

My company just changed to Microsoft 365 cloud and I was provided the latest version of Microsoft Office. The set up is completed but now I cannot search my archives, only new emails are searchable. This is a big problem for me.

• BMDragon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue, its quite annoying since I use search all the time. I type in something complicated and it searches on what my cursor was over.

• Jacob Kobylecky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely happens to me too. It should distinguish between when a suggestion is actually selected using the arrow keys or if it is merely highlighted due to the position of the cursor.

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search seems to work for me ok in the Outlook 2016 client but I can't for the life of me work out how to fully clear the search in OWA. I somehow selected a contact when I actually wanted a different one and now if I put the wanted contact in I only get items from the other. The names are from the same company. cannot work out how to clear it. Other searches on completely different search terms seem to work ok so far.

← Previous 1

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base