OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Highligth each months in different colors to seperate months in Outlook 2016

It would be great if separate months are highlighted in different colors, so that the months could be easily distinguished.

296 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Judy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • A. K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Calendar in Monthly view is not understandable. You do not easy see in which month you are, you see no work weeks, the weekends are not in other colors tinted, there is no space between the months.
    If you are scrolling, the selected day is also moving and not staying on the last selected day. Also the actual day (today) is not highlited.

There is much to do, Microsoft. Please do your homework.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes and amen to all the calendar suggestions regarding coloring each month a different color- I have great issues finding months and dates in a hurry!

• Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem with Outlook 2019. YooooooHoooooo Microsoft can you hear us now????

It's now difficult to separate (see) different months in month window of Calender. Some clearing items like different colors separating months or first day of month would help seeing and separating.

• Maciek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be more great to separate months as on the real three-fold calendars with clearly visible highlighted TODAY - red thick box around the day?

• Jen Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so happy to hear my exact same complaints echo'd by others in this thread. Please MS, listen to us!. Outlook needs some more display options. In addition to the color month/current day complaints, can we please have to option whether or not to scroll seamlessly through the months or one month at a time.

Different color months/Past days grayed out/current day highlighted. All said before and all great ideas

Great Workaround!
    Add six all day events recurring annually. Title them with the names of the months January, March, May, July, September, November and have them cover all of the days in that month. I added a new category with light gray as its color and assigned the events to it.
    Now you not only easily see where one month starts and the other ends, but you also know exactly which month it is without looking around for the single cell that has the month.
    I had tried just a monthly event with xxxx's to "draw a line" between months, but abandoned that idea because the line fell BELOW the label for that month and it was still too easy to mistake which month it was.

wow big yes to that suggestion - as the calendar is now, with only one background color, all the months run together with no separation - very hard to read

• Anony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES - Even a simple thicker border line separating months. Also:

Current Day - Needs to stand out way more. The thin bar that's the same color as default appointments is like playing where's waldo every time I glance over. This is the most basic function of a calendar- how is it missing? How about a big bold box around the current day,

Past Days - Make past days slightly gray to more easily hone in on the current day.

This minimal flat design probably looked cool in a meeting of 24 year olds, but it SUCKS for usability all day, everyday. Please listen to your customers Microsoft.

Here's a TRICK that might help you too until MS listens to us: Create a calendar event to recur on every first day of the month and give it a unique color. No need to assign a short-cut since it's a permanent "appt." I chose YELLOW for its brightness. The whole month isn't high-lighted, but at least it's easier to see when a new month begins.

• Peter Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Usability testing shows that February and March are notoriously confusing months and lead people to enter appointments in the wrong month, even book airline tickets in the wrong month. They are unique in that the dates and days are the exact same (except leap years).
    Solution: in the Folder Pane, I should be able to should shade months different colors so I have a better chance of seeing this month vs. next month. Maybe the current month is always the same color, and future months all one color, and past months all one color.

• Mark Meahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a hurried world I think this is important. I have set appointments in the wrong month which could lead to some pretty embarrassing situations.
    This seems like such an easy and obvious fix. If not with colors something to distinguish different months for obviously should be done.

So so so many threads with so so so many polite comments asking for better coloring options to make the calendar more readable, and still no fix from Microsoft? It's got to be an easy fix considering that older versions of Outlook offered better coloring options.

• bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Put a line or some shading between the monthes on the calendar

希望月份底色可以分色,這樣視覺效果會比較容易閱讀。

例如:一月底色是淺灰色,二月底色是白色。

← Previous 1 3

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base