OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide an option to schedule Out of Office replies for multiple holidays / events in advance

Currently I can only schedule my out of office for one occasion. Allow an option to pre-schedule multiple occasions. For example On July 3rd, when I set it up for 4th of July, allow me to schedule it for the Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanks Giving, Christmas, etc. That way I can set them up when I am not very busy. Also, provide an option to activate / deactivate them. We have 10 or so holidays, so allow a few more and provide 15+ schedule alternatives. Note: I think the common holidays should be default for everybody.

273 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nisse Hult commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be possible to configure defaults for this.

1. A feature to add new default
    2. Select when to apply this default
    a) Weekends
    b) Public Holidays
    c) Category
    d) Specific Public Holiday (Christmas and so on)
    3. Possibility to set restriction to only use default if it more than X days remaining when the message is received...should probably be a generic setting for this that apply to all defaults)

It should also be possible to define these defaults on a company level, and then users could opt in to use company defaults, only their own or defaults plus any overrides they specify.
    There should probably be settings on to company level on how mandatory the company defaults are.

• ksh7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be very nice if it was an option when you block time as out of office in the calendar.

• Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be quite useful to have the option to leverage the Out of Office feature in my calendar to set off an auto reply. Previous versions of Outlook had similar features and in a worldwide business environment, setting expectations that someone is not at there desk 24/7 but their hours are...

• Jens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

national holidays should be automatically categorized as out of office or coming with the possibility to chose a status and also a category (color) for them.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely be a useful feature- especially if it was integrated with setting up the calendar event where you are blocking the calendar off with 'Leave' for the duration that you would need the Out of Office to respond. You could also use this to change an auto-reply during a period of leave, e.g. if you are asking people who email you to contact a different person who is covering for you, but the nominated person needs to change partway through your leave period.

• KERATL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My first reaction was "that will be a complicated OOTO interface..." but one possible implementation would be to add a ribbon/button option when setting an appointment so that you can set up an OOTO message that is only sent during the duration of that calendar appointment. So I set up an all-day event/meeting for Friday, invite my boss so it will be on his calendar (so he knows I'm OOTO), and then everyone who emails during that time window gets the custom message. I think that would work well, and you wouldn't have to go to a different part of outlook and remember to cancel OOTO messages if your day off (doctors appt or whatever) gets changed, simply moving the appointment or cancelling it would remove that paired OOTO messaging scheduled for that day within the appointment.

• Danni Evers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YEEEES, this feature I have wanted to add for so long.. Would really be great to have an opportunity to organize your OOF in advance so you do not have to sit the last days and rush this through.

This will also improve productivity and you can write different OOF messages instead of only

Br
    Danni (IT Manager Microsoft Denmark)

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Settings

Feedback and Knowledge Base