OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

recurring resource reservation or Book all available timeslots for a recurring meeting that has resource conflicts instead of just declining

When a resource is reserved for a recurring meeting, and a single occurrence of the series has a conflict, the whole series is declined by the resource. In such cases all non-conflicting occurrences should be accepted and only the conflicting ones should be declined.
Or book all available timeslots for a recurring meeting that has resource conflicts instead of just declining the meeting reservation.

78 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bányay Gergely shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have had to resort to having employees book the rooms first for a large duration, wait to see what comes back, and pick the one that was accepted. Huge pain, and quite honestly has always been a pain for years. Seems like this could be easily remedied by allowing the ones that were acceptable and emailing back the conflicts so people could change those individual issues. the percentage is tough, because as others say you can't select a percentage that works for every scenerio.

• Haden McAfee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When scheduling a recurring meeting, a single conflict with the meeting room declines the entire series. It would be great if Outlook provided a 'Preferred Location' and 'Alternate Location' field for recurring meetings; this would enable all meetings to be scheduled by dynamically setting the location for each meeting in the series.

Hi,

We are just working with this issue also, and as with some of the previous comments, the requested result is accomplished by using the ConflictPercentageAllowed and MaximumConflictInstances parameters in the resource properties of the resource in Exchange. The tests we just ran yielded the desired results ... I scheduled a recurring 30-minute meeting for 7 consecutive days, I received one e-mail back stating the conference room accepted, but with 5 conflicts not accepted. I also received 5 decline e-mails from the conference room for the 5 days it was already booked for those days/times. This was an over-burdened test just to prove it works ... it does. You just need to tinker with those two settings in Exchange to find a good ratio that works for you. We set it so it declines the whole series only if there are more than 10 conflicts or more than 80% conflicts. That was just for a test ... which it accepted the 2 days and declined the 5 days. When we set the percentage to 30%, it declined the whole series (because 5 out of 7 days, 71%, is greater than allowed).

I agree, it is quite time consuming for users who schedule recurring meetings to run into a conflict(s) and then have the entire series declined.

We too would like when a resource is scheduled for a recurring meeting and there is a conflict, to go ahead and schedule all the available timeslots for the recurring meeting and just decline the one with the conflict. This would save users a huge amount of time! This is how it originally worked, but for whatever reason it was changed.

• Sean Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot count the amount of wasted time trying to sort through resource / conf rooms to see what is open then start back over sending more invites when you have to find a different room. How did their current solution ever seem OK?

• Kreera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can already be configured by your Exchange admins in the conference room's settings using the Set-CalendarProcessing cmdlet with the ConflictPercentageAllowed and MaximumConflictInstances parameters.

• Jeff Heldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Consider the following scenario: I have to schedule a recurring weekly meeting (30 minutes) for my team for the next year (52 instances of the meeting). The conference room resource calendar has the desired timeslot available for all but three (3) of the meeting instances.

Desired functionality would book the 49 meeting instances of the timeslot that were available and send an email warning of the three (3) instances that could not be booked so I could make other arrangements.

Current functionality automatically declines the entire meeting series and sends a notice of the decline and information on the 3 conflicts that caused the meeting to be declined. By the time I create a new meeting (or meetings) that get me the desired timeslot, more conflicts appear as others are actively booking rooms for meetings.

This is a common pain point for most of the Administrative & Executive Assistants that I work with and causes a lot of lost productivity and confusion as they are constantly having to juggle their delegate's calendars.

We estimate that the desired functionality would save four (4) or more hours of productivity for our Admin Assistants per business day.

We have looked at the AllowConflicts percentage threshold functionality, but found that it would be too hard to explain to our userbase why it worked for one meeting series and not another. Also, we don't want to double book anything on these resource calendars as it causes too much confusion as to who really has a reservation on a room.

• Anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, exactly this. This is a major inconvenience when setting up a recurring meeting for a long time (i.e. the whole year), as a single conflict causes the resource to decline the entire series. I have to now either break up my recurring meeting, or send separate meeting invites just to the resource.

• S. Krause commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Settings of the Meeting Room in Exchange there are two options (set-calendarprocessing). AllowConflicts and ConflictPercentageAllowed.
    Its not 100X what you want, be a step in that direction.

Feedback and Knowledge Base