OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

If you unintentionally move an email into the wrong folder

If you unintentionally move an email into the wrong folder, there should be an undo button to undo last move

350 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Direct commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wake up and try your suggestions before posting!!!
    Yes, true, I know Control Z "normally" works.
    However in this scenario/application it does NOT do anything at all.
    Please provide alternative solution.

• MPRADO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This ability already exists. You can customize your Quick Access toolbar to include the Undo button which usually (though not 100% of the time) works to undo moving an email to a folder accidentally.

• Pablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ctrl Z does work, as long as you do not click into any other folder once you have unintentionally moved the email.

• Nigel Freeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CTRL-Z works for an email that you have just moved. However, there is only one undo action. If you subsequently move a second email you can't CTRL-Z undo twice to get the first email put back. This also doesn't work if you happen to accidentally drag and drop a folder onto another folder. I have a ton of folders and this has happened on more than one occasion. I wasn't being clumsy - my mouse had an issue with the wireless connection and dropped the folder mid drag. Alternatively, I was trying to drag an email. The connection dropped and was regained and in the process the mouse picked up a folder instead! If MS instigated a 20 action undo it would be very welcome.

• Graeme McMillan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. A number of times I've accidentally dragged something somewhere, e.g. I'm drinking my coffee and spill a bit and accidentally mouse click/drag, and I know that an email has disappeared, but then have to waste time looking for the one email in all my folders - needle in a haystack especially if you're not exactly sure which email your mouse pointer was resting on before the accidental drag... and Ctrl-Z won't work for this situation...

• JeroenSchoen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The undo option doesn't work after moving a mail to 'other'. Scenario: right click email from 'Focused', choose ' move to other', press ctrl+z or 'undo' button. Email won't move back to 'Focused'.
    This is by design according to MSFT, if you want to change this design, vote for it :)

Thanks,
    Jeroen

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can already be done. CTRL-Z or Undo. I use it all the time as I apparently cannot drag and drop...

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base