OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a feature to categorize contacts in Microsoft Outlook 2016 into Personal and Business including sub categories

Provide a feature to categorize contacts in Microsoft Outlook 2016 into Personal and Business including sub categories(Family - Friends - School - Bank ) and Business by (Auto - Law Firm - Insurance - Religious - Bank - Travel . . . . .)

46 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Perry Wood shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can we have the original system back where we could organise our contacts by categories as this made searching and using so much more practical. Also one could add more than one category to any given contact details.

• Greg Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Category view no longer has color coding on the category name. The plain vanilla DOES NOT WORK! The change is not an improvement.

For easy of finding and organisation I had all my addresses sorted in to catagories. Thiis improved the way my address book was subdivided into areas such as "household" "Family", "friends" and various groups I belong to etc etc

Go back to the old way when it was easy to categorize contacts as you entered them. One of the best early features is not a pain in the neck.

• Randy J. Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if suggestions are allowed here, so anyone can please fee to delete if I've stepped past protocol. One option is to create different Contact folders for Personal and Business and then add "sub categories" within each folder. If this doesn't meet your needs, then create a series of nested or hierarchical categories, for example: Personal; Personal - Family; Personal - Friends or Household; Household - Bank; Household - Auto Repair. Chances are good that you will want more than one category on each record, so it is nice to have the multiple levels of categorization. When you sort by category, everything lines up pretty nicely.

• P. Smeehuijzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. one point of access for contacts and an easy way to separate personel contacts from business contacts. And please, in alphabetic way. First, lastname (familyname) and than, first name! Now its a totaly mess, last names, firstnames, companynames etc. NO ORDER!

Outlook 2016 for Windows: People

Feedback and Knowledge Base