OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016.

134 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Note from the Outlook Team: There is support for turning on or off Focused Inbox from within Outlook 2016. In the View Tab, click “Show Focused Inbox” to toggle Focused Inbox on or off. These details, plus more for other Outlook endpoints can be found on our blog post here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-focused-inbox-f714d94d-9e63-4217-9ccb-6cb2986aa1b2

Note: If the button is present, but grayed out, it means Outlook could not connect to the service. Checking your network connection and rebooting the app should clear this up.

98 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sigrid Moldestad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find this urge all large companies seem to have to filter information quite disturbing and not helpful at all.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS... UN-invent Focused... it is not needed and is just another annoying little piece of nonsense... or do as Steve said but make the button actually work!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please remove or turnoff the focused inbox, I was not at all a fan of this on the web version and now I'm very sad to see it on my professional Outlook. I do not like making 2 inboxes inside of one, it does not seem useful, maybe to some but I would like to be able to turn it off and have all my messages in one space.

• Ian Dutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a REALLY annoying innovation dreamt up by someone who has no idea what matters to users. Let users decide if they want to use features like the new focused inbox - why do you foist this stuff on us without letting us choose our settings? Once again you are taking us backwards and not forwards in UI!

Every few weeks Outlook and the Mail app in Windows 10 wants to introduce me to focused inbox again and automatically turns it on. I keep turning it off because I don't want it. PLEASE RESPECT MY DECISION AND STOP TURNING IT BACK ON.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Focused inbox is not for everyone. How about it is made an optional app that can be downloaded & installed for those who do want it. While we are at it why not the clutter folder as well. These feature while i can see how they benefit some they are a hindrance to others

• BS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is feature is intrusive and not intuitively turned off. The AI is bad or immature. This is BS and making me irritated that I have to find out how to disable it. It should have been noted as a new feature with the ability to turn it on, rather than having it automatically turned on. I don't find it useful.

Please have the Microsoft gremlins remain in Washington. Their Focused Inbox I can do without and we are attempting to trash it.

• KP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Outlook-Email, REMOVE the 'Focus' & 'Other' feature in 'Inbox'. There is no need to separate my new emails in the inbox. This is useless organization feature and a waste of time. Not to mention the additional features this locks, like alerting me of a new email...
    Please RETURN this back to the way it was.

• Zak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am constantly missing emails that you deem as unimportant. This is the most infuriating update to date.

• Jeff Wisdom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All:

In the top of the ribbon on outlook, where the lightbulb is at, type in "Turn off Focused inbox", and it will revert your inbox back to the way it was before this messed up update...

I agree that this could be a good idea, if Outlook was prompted to let the user apply the sort rules, rather than it just automatically ASSUMING what needs to be in the "Other" folder...

After all, we all know what happens when you ASSUME something!

I absolutely hate the focused and other inbox. I use Outlook for work and need my emails in a single inbox to ensure I don't miss anything. Junk and Clutter work fine to reduce clutter. I don't want to toggle between focused and other when searching for an email. It's inconvenient and annoying.

I want to decide what to see and what not to see, without having to click yet another tab. Allow me the freedom to choose, please!

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before Clutter I SIMPLY deleted unwanted messages; with Clutter I had to check and see if important messages were mistakenly present in the Clutter folder; with the Focused/Other change I now need to be mindful of what different folders possibly important emails are being placed for me. Can I get a SIMPLE, don't learn my habits, email collecting option PLEASE?!

Focused Inbox feature

When showing Focused and Other tabs for the email inbox, please show a third tab called "All". I won't use Focused feature if i have to go to View tab when i'd like to see all emails.

When deciding to make major changes as "Focused Inbox" how about giving a warning first???? To come in in the morning and see my mail scattered is annoying, frustrating, and slows down my productivity. Now I have to "teach" it where I want things? Seriously? I don't have time for this. I had my own system and now I have to figure out something else. I want the old system back.

• Beverley Glenwright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we keep email inboxes just with one tab and not split to "focused" and "other" choices.. all my work emails are important

• P Plum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Button is there, but all it does is remove the 'Other' TAB. The emails that are in 'other' don't get moved to my Inbox.

As I understand it, emails that are from a new sender are moved to Other. (Some privacy issues perhaps .) I need these emails, and am annoyed that I have to play games to view them.

• Craig Daniels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft Outlook team. I appreciate your intent to help us separate the more important email messages. Junk is truly junk. Clutter was a good middle point of newsletters and such that you look at occasionally. Inbox (Focused) should notify you (desktop and mobile app). These are usually real people looking to reach you. Now that focused has replaced clutter, my email experience is broken. I don't want a notification (desktop/mobile) on every non-focused message. I don't want my desktop outlook app on the sidebar to show a count of 'unread messages' for my inbox. It is making me constantly jump to outlook just to find a newsletter and not a 'real' message needing attention. Clutter separation into a separate folder caused none of these problems. Please re-evaluate this attempt to help users. You have accomplished the opposite! I realize there is an option to 'turn off' focused inbox. This will not help at all. I really liked how you used to separate the newsletters/ads/etc. Having all this land in a singular inbox now is going backwards.

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base