OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016.

134 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Note from the Outlook Team: There is support for turning on or off Focused Inbox from within Outlook 2016. In the View Tab, click “Show Focused Inbox” to toggle Focused Inbox on or off. These details, plus more for other Outlook endpoints can be found on our blog post here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-focused-inbox-f714d94d-9e63-4217-9ccb-6cb2986aa1b2

Note: If the button is present, but grayed out, it means Outlook could not connect to the service. Checking your network connection and rebooting the app should clear this up.

98 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree! Please stop MIcrosoft deciding what folders I need and don't need in my mailbox. Please allow disable function,.....

• Ryan Stark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New feature? Great!
    STOP SHOVING IT DOWN MY THROAT! Or at least let me turn it off!

Please remove the Focused Inbox feature. In my business dealings I make initial contact with a vendor but may not need to contact them again for a few months when I am ready to close my job. But now you decide which emails are important to me???? Now I have to take time to search emails for people trying to communicate with me.

• chris jacobs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

here is a novel idea...let us control our own inbox...clutter...focus...other...all horrible.

• RS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How did I end up with this new Focus mess. I don't want it. please take it back.

• pissed off again commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who the **** wants this 'focused' bloody option as a default? Not all outlook users are office workers. Some of us have this at home and don't want all this office worker **** as a default. Have a 'turn off this option' button. Bloody MS!

The Focused vs Other inbox is not a bad idea. But it IS a bad idea to sort existing messages. Leave ALL existing messages in Focused and only sort NEW incoming messages. I have already screened and kept the messages I want. I don't want Outlook bulk classifying arbitrary messages to "other."

Quit turning on Focused Inbox as the default setting. I've turned it off after multiple Office updates and do not want to have to turn it off again. I've set my options that I do not want the feature, quit trying to force it on me.

Get rid of focused/pther. I can't and I don't want it. Stop giving me stuff I don't want and can't disable.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the new 'focused' setup. I previously utilized the Clutter folder thoroughly, and now everything that used to go to my clutter folder now goes to my 'Other' folder. Why. Now they all come through on my phone and my phone notifies me about every single stupid email I get.
    How do I change it back?

• shaun_simpkins@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When switching between focused and other listings, the sorting behavior changes. It appears that the chosen sorting behavior (date reversed, date forward, etc.) is applied only to the listing type active on launch of Outlook. Switching to the other listing type takes you back to the beginning of the list, which is annoying. Sorting behavior should be the same for both listing types by default. Please fix this!

• JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Emails from the same client are being sent to Focused and Other, which leads to missing correspondence. Have Other act on all incoming email from a specific address, similar to a spam folder. Otherwise Focused is a liability.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BRING BACK CLUTTER. I could see how many unread emails were in my clutter folder. Now I can only see how many NEW emails are there. I often set emails to UNREAD after reading them as a reminder to look at them again. OTHER is not anywhere as helpful. Step backwards from a user perspective.

Every few weeks Outlook and the Mail app in Windows 10 wants to introduce me to focused inbox again and automatically turns it on. I keep turning it off because I don't want it. PLEASE RESPECT MY DECISION AND STOP TURNING IT BACK ON. #MeToo!!!

• Stelios Michaelides commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started getting complains from clients that they are missing emails after forcing the focused/other inbox update. And in some of them, there isnt even an option to turn it off.

Focused/other DOES NOT work for business users. Please get rid of it.

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to disable the notification that the individual user gets when focused Inbox is disabled, best with GPO or Registry. I searched a lot today but couldn't find anything.

Remove the Focused Inbox feature. The core workflow of an email app is the processing of a chronological list of items. By adding data mining and trying to infer what is important to the use,r produces an unsettling obstacle to that core workflow, and often results in overlooked messages. I'm sure a PM got their wings for the feature, but it's simple not well conceived.

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base