OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016.

134 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Note from the Outlook Team: There is support for turning on or off Focused Inbox from within Outlook 2016. In the View Tab, click “Show Focused Inbox” to toggle Focused Inbox on or off. These details, plus more for other Outlook endpoints can be found on our blog post here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-focused-inbox-f714d94d-9e63-4217-9ccb-6cb2986aa1b2

Note: If the button is present, but grayed out, it means Outlook could not connect to the service. Checking your network connection and rebooting the app should clear this up.

98 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dean Moncaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you thought about clicking "View" -> "Show focused inbox" which will then turn this off in 2 clicks?

i have had to it many times because people HATE this stupid idea.

• Gundies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was no warning or heads up that outlook was going to create a new place to put new emails I receive into. It just did it and then I started missing important emails when they don't show up in my actual inbox. It does not resemble a feature, it is a major headache that screams "disable me" when introduced this way.

• User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What an awful idea this was. First Clutter, now Other, it's amazing how Microsoft makes good products unusable.
    You're trying to be smart and behave as dumb fool.
    You are trying to help but result is opposite - I spend more time doing the same.

• User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What an awful idea this was. First Clutter, now Other, it's amazing how Microsoft makes good products unusable.
    You're trying to be smart and behave as dumb fool.
    You are trying to help but result is opposite - I spend more time doing the same.

• pietro sportelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

avoid that focused inbox exclude messaggi secondari. messaggi secondari is so useful. focused inbox is not useful; it's dangerous

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the Clutter folder and not the Focused Inbox! I have turned the "Focused" feature off multiple times and it keeps reverting back!!! This is since the latest update to Office 365 and it's annoying the living **** out of me.... STOP IT!!!

• Christopher List commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft, if you are trying to get me to only read emails on my iPhone and not in Outlook you are doing a great job!
    Holy ****, what an awful idea this was. First Clutter, now Other, it's amazing that I get anything done when I have to go digging through 3 inboxes to make sure I find all the email I need. Here's an idea - how about a button on or right-click action on emails that automatically clicks the "Unsubcribe" link for you? Then we wouldn't get as much clutter / Other mail in the first place. Meanwhile, do we seriously have to turn this so-called-feature off at the Exchange level??

• Jason B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove focused / other from Microsoft outlook office 2016. There is no Folder to disble it either like in the forums.
    I can't find my emails anymore.... You are not being smart, just a pain in my proverbial. We have enough issues with Updates and Bloatware games with every update... Get rid of this dual inbox NOW. Just another reason to hate Microsoft

Please eliminate the “focused” folder. It creates tremendous problems in that it requires me to check another inbox which I forget to do and then miss emails. I dislike the “focused” folder so much that I will not use my other Microsoft account (live.com). Please eliminate the “focused” folder for my work email – this is a terrible inconvenience for no benefit whatsoever!

Might I possibly offer the support people are after:

If you are able to administer your Office365 organisation use the Exchange Powershell to turn the feature off.

The quick steps are:
    Connect to Exchange Powershell (https://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj984289.aspx )

Run PS as Admin
    Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

$UserCredential = Get-Credential (put in your Office365 Admin account details - must have Exchange Org admin rights.)

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic –AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession $Session
    don't forget to run remove-PSSession $Session when done.

Next when it is ready you can see if the feature is enabled.

Get-OrganizationConfig

Look for FocusedInboxOn - it will either have a TRUE or blank next to it.
    An example from our O365 Org:
    FocusedInboxOn :
    FocusedInboxOnLastUpdateTime : 1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM
    ForestConfigVersion :
    ForestConfigLastRunTime : 1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM

Next run:

Set-OrganizationConfig -FocusedInboxOn $false
    (followed by Get-OrganizationConfig to check if it worked.)

FocusedInboxOn : False
    FocusedInboxOnLastUpdateTime : 2/01/2018 12:58:55 AM
    ForestConfigVersion :
    ForestConfigLastRunTime : 1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM

This will turn it off Organisation wide, but when you open Outlook the user will see a message "Your administrator has made a change to the Focused Inbox setting. You can change it back if you like." - with a button this then allows individual Users to have it on or off.

You can also manually alter individual user settings from Exchange PS.
    Get-FocusedInbox –Identity <importantuser@ceo.com>

Set-FocusedInbox -Identity <importantuser@ceo.com> -FocusedInboxOn $false

In order to get the “info” message to disappear from Outlook – click on the “Turn On Focused Inbox” button on the Info ribbon, this enables it for that mailbox, and you will also notice that the Method mentioned in that original article to turn ON/OFF is now enabled. So what you do after you have Enabled the FocusedInbox from the Info Message – is just go and Disable it from the Ribbon Bar button.

Problem solved – You can also do the reverse – re-enable it at ORG level, and disable for individual users, if you are ok with PowerScripting, even create groups of users that you wish to enable and disable, Enable it globally, then pipe the result of searching for members of a group into the set-focusedinbox command to manually enable it for those users.

• Stephan Martinovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is Microsoft acting like Apple? Unsolicited, unwanted "upgrades" are pushed onto the user. Focus is just another example. Why do you not request permission from the user before modifying the layout of their tools. Change for change sake is not welcomed or good change.
    What is the procedure/process for reversing this change?
    Also, I do not agree with you T&C's however in order to have my comment posted, I can not object.

• John Winder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove this new feature. I do not want it. It is just confusing and gives me another decision to make

• Armando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HATE when a programmer decides same feature in my place. That's the case of the "Focused" option.
    Please stop Microsoft deciding what folders I need and don't need in my mailbox. Please allow disable function,.....

• Christine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finding tons of emails in the "other" category that should be "focused". Please know that I know better how to sort my email that your algorithm. Stop changing the sort methods. Clutter folder was bad enough.

Focus, other, and clutter are all automated categorization and separation of incoming mail. It would be nice to be able to switch gbetween the categories easily and manage how they are categorized.

In certain cases, it is useful to see what is being categorized as both focused and other, so that they can be managed more easily. Add a third choice at the top that says both.

• Urban Lantz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Priority inbox must be simple to turn OFF in outlook. I tried different ideas but none works in my version.

I cannot stand focused inbox, its caused me no end of grief. I waste time having to figure out how to turn it off. How about next time you update Office or anything else, how about prompting us if we want to use this new feature that totally disrupts our workflow, or keep doing it the way we've always done it.

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base