OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide a button to enable or disable Focused Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2016.

134 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Note from the Outlook Team: There is support for turning on or off Focused Inbox from within Outlook 2016. In the View Tab, click “Show Focused Inbox” to toggle Focused Inbox on or off. These details, plus more for other Outlook endpoints can be found on our blog post here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-focused-inbox-f714d94d-9e63-4217-9ccb-6cb2986aa1b2

Note: If the button is present, but grayed out, it means Outlook could not connect to the service. Checking your network connection and rebooting the app should clear this up.

98 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The button is completely missing and that seems like you pushing users to do as you say. There has not been one single user who likes this, they all want it removed and now we can't do it after your new features update. Does Microsoft even know about serving the customer and not make the customer serve you. I don't think so with all this recent **** you've put out. Windows 10, Outlook 365 both horrid examples of coding.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not complete. If you add an addition account to office 2016, the second account is missing the option to turn off focused inbox. And yes I am on the latest version of click to run with monthly updates enabled, and yes its turned of in the outlook.com web gui. And yes this is almost 1 year after this has been marked as complete.

• it.support@csn.co.nz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Focused mailbox is a nuisance causing our users to miss important customer information coming in via e-mail, damaging our company reputation.
    Microsoft in their total arrogance have decided this was a cool feature and should be on by default, bad choice, especially as there is no way to disable it for all our users.
    Have set companywide via PowerShell to turn off focused mailbox both for our on prem exchange mailboxes (shared) and 365 (personal mailboxes) but users are still able to see it and turn focused mailbox on and it doesn't turn it off for email acounts that have already been setup
    Thanks Microsoft, please implement an option to disable via GPO in a way that the button disappears for ever from the outlook 2016 interface and the setting is also attached to the mailbox to make sure that setting also reflects in the other ways of connecting to our COMPANY mailboxes.
    …. and can you also stop nagging me about using Chrome, you have been doing that now for 3+ years and I have told you about 10000 times that I DON"T want it, thanks

This is not completed. I don't have the button, at all, and I have the latest version of outlook 2016.

I HATE "Focusd" and NONE of the removal instructions appear on my interface.

• Marci Abels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, well, I turned off Focused Inbox to demonstrate it and now it is no longer on my Ribbon. How do I get it back?

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why on earth can I shut down Focused Inbox on my accounts in OWA and your Windows Mail App, both of which I rarely access. Yet your stupid system won't let me shut it down in Outlook 2016, which I use daily. Is this a backdoor way of frustrating everyone into move to your mail app?

I never asked for Focused Inbox, I was never given a choice on Focused Inbox and I never wanted Focused Inbox. Get your act together and fix the problem you don't know the best way to do everything.

• D Galati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've tried "rebooting the app" but Focused Inbox is still greyed out. Interestingly, if I start Outlook in safe mode (Outlook.exe /safe) Focused Inbox is the default view and it is enabled. My version does not need Modern Authentication and it is an Exchange account. I tried uninstalling Office and repairing it. If I go to the client's OWA, there is an option to enable Focused Inbox and it indeed works in the OWA -- but not Outlook 2016 for Win 10. Any ideas?? Thanks

Have been unable to receive my emails since focused decided to show on my inbox

• Brandon Farrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those that have seen it disappear check your version. If it's 1708 and saying that it's up to date you are most likely in the semi-annual update channel. I was just able to resolve this myself by changing to the current channel. No re-install or admin support needed. Just admin access to CMD using the link I have provided. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/odsupport/2017/05/10/how-to-switch-channels-for-office-2016-proplus/

• Holger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to add that this seems, for my org at least, to be a problem in ver. 1708. build 8431.2215. If you update this to 1802, the button reappears.
    If your update button within the Office apps says "You are up to date", and you clearly are not, login to your office365 portal, install office365 on top, and click update from within one of the apps again. Then it updates to 1802 and the button reappears.

• Sam Blancia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this ASAP as I have a user with a new PC that needs this functionality in Outlook where he was able to use this in his old PC.

• Holger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The button is GONE in the newest version. I have users who actually want to enable this feature and they cant because you removed the button! Please correct this error, which it clearly is!

The button to disable this in the view tab no longer shows on the latest office install. Disabling it for the entire organization changes nothing, and disabling it for a single user does nothing. This is aggravating; when will this be corrected?

• cehesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the Admin that marked this COMPLETED, it is not. In the View tab there is no longer a "Show Focused Inbox" button/toggle. It is now gone and there is no way to disable this. Please provide a way to disable, its a real pain in the as* when I have over 500 end users complaining and repeatedly getting the same requests "What is this focused inbox thing and how to I see all my emails together? How do you turn this off?"

These kind of feature roll outs cause more end user and support team headaches than you can imagine.

I would expect the development team to be more measured in its approach to rolling out items THAT MAY POSSIBLE DISRUPT WHAT PEOPLE ARE USED TO EVERY DAY. Most end users are not devs or tech people, they don't often think features are cool to test or have, most just want to come to work, do their job and use their PC the way they do every day, as they have been doing for the last X number of years they've been at their job.

• Jeff Morsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is Great that there is a button. But it doesn't WORK because less than a day later Focused inbox gets turned back on without user intervention!

FIx it so it works, and keeps the setting, before you close the items!!!

Note:

Current updated outlook 2016, does NOT have an option in view to disable focused inbox While you can find 'Show focused inbox' in the custom ribon options it is greyed out unusable it put on the tool bar'.
    So at present in outlook 2106, there is now ay to STOP outlook from randomly sorting your email, and it is fairly random, we have some automated alerts, that are pretty static messages, when triggered, which some come in as focused, some to other.... even though besdies the time they were sent, the message is identical subject/body/address list..

A lot of people unhappy with this, I can understand you don't like it but I personally like it because it helps me sorting the ton of email I receive everyday (yes the system has to learn a little bit to work).

Anyway, it is just a presentation (a view) of the mailbox and this is why it is much interesting than Clutter : you can simply disable it for Outlook.

Go to View and you'll find a big button.

On the web you can too via the menu on the top right of the list of emails (not the preview pane)

So, you can simply invite for this as it is already implemented.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base