OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Block Senders Domain in Junk

When getting lots of junk email with same domain name(with different email accounts) it would be great if we get an option to block senders domain. We can edit the blocked senders , but its again a tedious process and we may end up doing this daily. Adding a button on Junk so we can block the senders domain right away would be an easier way to tackle this menace.

465 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hari shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Benjamin H Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, for the love of god, do this. This is exactly what we need since spammers got wise to having their spam addresses blocked like 20 years ago and now they just send from a new address every time, but usually from the same domain or at least the same sub-domain. Please add a quick button option to block all from a domain.

THank you.

• Rabot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the spam blocker does not allow to put a wildcard to replace a character or series for email addresses.
    Example address to block scalou01.fr, scalou02.fr, scalou03.fr, etc or another genus khalotala.fr, khalotalb.fr, khalotalc.fr, etc could be taken into account by scalou ??. Fr and khalotal? when there are more than two characters scalou100.fr or khalotalaaa.fr that vary, take this good old * and give scalou * .fr, khalotal * .fr

• guilherme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bloquear um domínio. Temos a opcao de nao bloquear um domínio. Acho interessante a opção de bloquear o domínio também.

Block a domain. We have the option of not blocking a domain. I find it interesting to block the domain as well.

• Stewart Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The list should also include an additional option - a textbox with the senders email address that you could edit and then click block.

• Stewart Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>reference to Outlook 2016, this has been an issue for a long, long time
    Actually we are at Outlook 2019 and it is still a problem.

• Daniel SAINSON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ENGLISH :
    The domain name is no longer sufficient to filter spam.
    Need to introduce the joker? to better filter.
    Today, for example, we are receiving from @abc.shopping.com, tomorrow @abd.shopping.com, next week @bcd.shopping.com, etc…
    A @???.shopping.com filter would filter effectively
    FRENCH :
    Le nom de domaine n’est plus suffisant pour filtrer le courrier indésirable.
    Il faut introduire le joker ? pour mieux filtrer.
    Aujourd’hui, par exemple, on reçoit de @abc.shopping.com, demain @abd.shopping.com, la semaine prochaine @bcd.shopping.com, etc…
    Un filtre @???.shopping.com permettrait de filtrer efficacement.

• Jeez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've NEVER found it more useful to block an individual sender than the entire domain.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For awhile now I have been getting repeat spam. A feature to completely stop a domain or email address even entering junk or bin. At the moment the only feature is all junk mail will go in bin or junk mail folder. Possibly it could even reply with this email is no longer available, something along those lines.

Also a spam community where we could in-put junk addresses to a community and import them to our block recipients. Also a feature where I can leave outlook running in background while computer is sleeping. This help stop junk getting through to my smart phone.

It would make blocking unwanted e-mails if the block sender option in the 'Junk Mail Options would allow something like someone@* or *@domain name. in the last week I have received 20 junk e-mails from the same name with different domain names.

IF MS doesn't allow easier way to block a domain then others will do it. I really believe some domains are NOT blocked since they are MS customers paying more than we pay. IF it is a fact it is only a matter of time before another vendor fills the void and bye bye to those that don't have such features.

• Lilith Costas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make "block user's domain" a right-click option. "It's not there because someone might click it by accident" is the lamest excuse I can think of not to do something. Just do it already!

• Chuko Itoje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Users should be given an option to add this feature via a checkbox in Options instead of targeting everyone. Not every user is stupid enough to block important domains.

• Swithin Chandler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"You had this feature...and removed it. And I think it was a good trade-off" -- Some Microsoft Program Manager. (Paraphrased from a comment below.)

Disagree. Try this: Add a checkbox labelled "Enable domain blocking on Junk Mail context menu" under File-->Options--Mail-->Other. Alternatively, you could label it, "Take off the training wheels. I'm a big boy now." The intelligent people who can use this feature safely, will figure out this setting, and the numbskulls that would block their own company's domain or gmail.com, won't.

• KERATL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When junk mail is received, you can right-click and block sender, but if you want to block the whole domain you have to click through to junk mail options, then blocked senders, then "add", then manually type in the domain.

Personally, I'm seeing more and more spammers trying to get around the "easy" block sender filter by sending each new email from a different address at the same domain. The typical user will just block each one, and continue to get all future emails. I don't think the typical user knows how to block a domain anyway, it isn't intuitive to find.

My suggestion is to add one additional item in the right-click drop-down on the main inbox view, right after the block sender:

Junk: Block Sender
    Block Domain

That is far more intuitive, and ultimately will do more to help the end user avoid spam.

Pls increase the max no. of blocked email sites that we are allowed to have. 1024 as a max is ridiculous in this high-tech age, unless you guys are a pawn of advertisers.

Bob

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base