OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back Advanced Find to Outlook Search Tools

Starting with July-August updates Advanced Find option has been removed from Search Tools in Outlook 2016.

502 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Pirogovsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all the comments below. Removing the search feature was short sighted. I wonder why Microsoft do not ask for comments before making major changes like this. Is this called Customer Service??

• ehuffaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have users that have been using AF for years, I'm going to have a revolt on my hands when I relay this news. I'm also going to lose credibility with my user base - I preach updates. When an update is available I reward users who do, chastise users who don't. I expect users will be much more hesitant than they already are when they are burned by feature deprecation after updates are applied. Please put this back.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this feature back. This is a must have tool for scanning through thousands of emails.

• Richard Ford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, removing Advanced Find is a mistake. I have been moving emails to sub folders individually. It's a chore! Office 2010 was better.
    Are there any other search tools one can use to catalogue emails quickly?
    If not, do an "update" and restore it.

• John Howell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe you removed this Advanced Find feature. Surely the programmers could find a way to keep this indispensable tool in place and still introduce other new features. It's just unbelievable that Microsoft would just yank this feature that has been in place for so long and is so very useful. Who are you catering Outlook to - home users? Businesses with huge user mailboxes need this type of feature.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First, please excuse my English is not that good. Wow, this can’t be possible! Really! I've been using the advanced find dialog box for almost 20 years and it worked perfectly. To create custom calendar view, we are also going to that kind of dialog box for filtering. So, what's the problem? And when the Expanded Find Pane arrived, that was absolutely fantastic! And all my Outlook students loved that feature. We really need those functionality! Please, bring it back!

• Renaud Montes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this indispensable tool, I use it everyday to look for specific information that the Search tool is not capable of matching my needs, makes no sense for me to update the Office whole suite until this gets solved.
    I bet how many people will realize how badly needed is this tool until they realize they have updated to something that is actually going backwards.

C'mon Office team, bring back this feature!

• Rusty Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Removing this feature is one of the most ridiculous things that Microsoft has done for a long while. I use this feature on a daily basis as I have a great many folders on our Exchange server and there are times that I must find a specific message quickly. The advanced find was perfect for this and I respectfully request that it be returned just as it was before. Removing such a useful feature makes no sense to me. I use a screenreader to do my work and this works better for me than any of the current search tools. We have a great many users at my company who are really disappointed by this change. Thanks for considering.

• Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the deluge of emails that I receive every day, Advanced Find was my go-to tool. It was the one thing that I could rely on in Outlook to find what I needed, when I needed it. On that note, it makes no sense to me as to why Advanced Find is being removed, and the information about deprecating Advanced Find while investing in something better doesn't make sense either, because there isn't anything better to replace it. Please restore Advanced Find! And if you can't do that, then tell us clearly what it's "improved" replacement is.

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Advanced Find was apparently recently removed from Outlook Search Tools as per https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10/outlook-advanced-find/50d50e92-70a7-426b-9ff2-692c2b78a67c and https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Upcoming-changes-for-Recent-Searches-Advanced-Find-and-Expanded-Find-5df360da-a50d-4203-bd46-fde18c77d736?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1.

For me “Advanced Find” was consistently faster and more reliable and provided far more options that were easier to use than the default Search in Outlook.

Regular Windows search is a slug; I have been using Everything search from http://www.voidtools.com/ for years now and it is orders of magnitude better and faster than Windows search. Maybe you should not remove other search options from Outlook until you are actually capable of making Windows Search performance in Outlook comparable to Everything search performance on the file system?

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base