OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back Advanced Find to Outlook Search Tools

Starting with July-August updates Advanced Find option has been removed from Search Tools in Outlook 2016.

503 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Pirogovsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why was this removed; I used this feature at least 20 times a day. I get close to 300 emails a day and need to pinpoint my searches. a general search or ID-10T search does not work. If you are not going to add the feature back in; please leave in the ability to search by fields; to: from: subject: etcetera.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PUT IT BACK IN! Who's ignorant idea was it to remove? Find that person and SHOOT HIM!

• Btrymanaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had continuously used this feature to save time. I can't believe this. Apparently the developers do even use the software to understand important features.

• Jan Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody at Microsoft use email???
    You can't exist in Outlook without advanced search if you get more than a few mails.
    If it was underused it was probably because you hid it under "More".
    You can't just remove an important tool and then promise something new in some future version. Some of us actually have work to do and you just made it harder.
    This is incredible arrogant and stupid.

• derjo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

are you kidding? The normal search is ********, without advanced search I cannot survive in my 10.000 emails!

• Marcello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hoping that Advanced Find will be restored soon, in the meantime I downgraded with this procedure:
    Here are the steps to downgrade:

- open cmd as Admin

- execute in cmd : cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

- execute in cmd : officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8229.2086

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The bigger issue is that companies continue to purchase Microsoft products when it is well known that Microsoft intentionally creates software that is difficult for their customers to use. The search utility is just one example where Microsoft is failing; advanced search is fine and should remain but the regular search should allow for wildcards. It's easy to code and makes for a happier user base. I can only guess that Microsoft does not want to have happy users.

• Marcello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it possibile to remove a feature without any warning ? I am really disappointed, I wasted a lot of time in reinstalling Office. Are you pushing me to switch to Thunderbird ? Please bring back Advance Find.

• billclegg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back advanced search! Why on earth would you remove such a useful feature??

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I receive & send hundreds of emails a day, advanced find (CTRL-SHIFT-F shortcut) was my most valuable tool! please bring it back!!

• R Jacquemard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was also my most-used feature in Outlook !
    This is UNACCEPTABLE !!!
    Bring this option back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• David Voska commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a must have tool for me to go back to a specific information burried somewhere within thousands of e-mails I have in my mailbox and I used it on daily basis. Why would any sane person remove this feature without an adequate replacement is beyond me.

• Gökhan Kaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was super important, I was using it like every minute!
    That is unbelievable, I just have spent 20minutes to figure out if my keyboard is broken!!

There was many features that is decommissioned already in 2016 but this is totally unacceptable!

• Chris K2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft removed the only search feature that was working well in Outlook. All others are bugged to the bones. Why are they so stupid?

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Advanced Find many times a day. It saves me a huge amount of wasted time and effort. It is so useful I cannot believe it has been removed. Please bring it back ASAP !!!

• Clemens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was my most-used feature in Outlook. I used it all day. What the heck, Microsoft? Is there any other way to get my favorite search box to open?

• Lewis Eigen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I cannot agree with Martin Furholz's ascribing motivation of profit to the removing of advanced search, I would rather like to believe that Microsoft was trying to hit the sweet spot between too much complexity and needed functionality.

I continue to be amazed that with all the computer literacy that is increasing, Boolean searching on different fields or tags with ANDs, ORs, and NOTs in various combinations.

I do agree that Microsoft made an error here. If the worry is too much complexity the function can be hidden with a key shortcut but at least give the advanced user the best tools that the state of the art allows.

Or perhaps there was another reason for it. If so, I would like to understand it. But if a mistake, but it back in the next build please.

• Martin Fürholz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was my most-used feature in Outlook. I used it all day. What the heck, Microsoft?
    Now, instead of two clicks (oh - how convenient!) to see all important emails from all of my inboxes and folders, I need three clicks, and a major mouse-movement in addition.
    That was short-sighted.
    You keep removing features, and in the meantime we users pay, and pay, and pay...

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base