OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back Advanced Find to Outlook Search Tools

Starting with July-August updates Advanced Find option has been removed from Search Tools in Outlook 2016.

503 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Pirogovsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • meagain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

put it back. I need to search for words in specific folders and under them. useless without it.

• Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've spent the day being frustrated. I literally use this a dozen times a day, and am baffled why you removed it when it wasn't busted or interfering with the "new" search method. You asked for specifics:
    - With the general search, it takes over my message listing, so I can't tag team between my search results and looking at other folders/messages easily, much less pulling up additional find sets at once.
    - The general search appears to dig through other folders (not just sub-folders). Some folks may like that, but it makes me crazy when I just want to find active project threads, not ones in completed folders.
    - I can't target specific fields such as the sender/receiver name, or subject line.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

say I want to match case. cant do this in current version of outlook 2016. bring back a gui based search.

• Greg Coleman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have my own business. Each month, in order to capture all work that I need to bill for, I used advanced find with the following criteria:-
    1) all email sent "last month"
    2) Flag status not equal "Complete"
    This would bring up all of the emails I sent last month. Then as I recorded billable work, I would click the email as completed, so my list would get progressively smaller until I knew I had covered everything. I cannot seem to replicate this, so please return this crucial feature for my business productivity.

• prsmithx@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I often used Advanced Search to search for e-mails between dates, specifying which folders to search. Now I can search between dates, but entering the dates in cumbersome and there is very little granularity on specifying where to search.

Please bring it back.

• Pablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this back, I used it constantly and it made me more productive

• Filipe Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realy need the Advanced Find back my users are going crazy without this important feature. Please bring it back ASAP.

• Harry Zimmerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe Advanced Find just disappeared from Outlook 2016. The multi-featured Search is incredibly useful for quickly finding a particular email whether in file folders or Outlook's normal folders. I am lost without it. Online advice about how to use the normal search feature is mind boggling and the Search function is clumsy and offers hundreds of wrong findings each time. AF was awesome. Please restore it as an essential user support tool Thank you..

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh for dumb! With this function gone, my productivity has taken a huge hit... I can't imagine this decision was made by anyone who really uses Outlook for anything beyond trading jokes and funny pictures. Without a robust search function, Outlook isn't worth the effort to use. I am hopeful Microsoft will listen and bring this feature back...

• Winnefox_ILL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why just take this option away? It was there yesterday and I was using it as I do multiple times every day and today - poof - it's gone. Along with a lot of my time spent trying to figure out where it had gone. As someone who deals with a lot of email with very similar content, this feature was invaluable to me. I really hope people are given the option to get it back.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The advance find feature is one of the main reasons I use Outlook and the main reason I stayed with Microsoft. If they don’t bring it back quick I will be switching to Apple.

• Gord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I might understand Microsoft removing the Advanced Search feature if you added a better replacement or alternative filter capability at the same time.

But you have removed the advanced search button (and Ctrl-Shift-F)
    already even before providing a More button on the Search toolbar / Refine button group. Currently, I have no way to search emails for ones with attachments with certain values in fields and with searching in the body of the email instead of just the subject line. This is unacceptable!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This office requires almost constant use of advanced find. Please restore it.

• gk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

are we left with that tiny box for searches now?
    how is it better than free gmail now?

• Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! I use this this many times a day to locate messages based specifically on sender, subject, etc.

• Barry Blunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Advanced Find in the Search Tab of Outlook where below the Search box you can click the Plus Sign and Select "Common Properties" such as To, From, Subject, Attachments, Read, Body & Received for advanced find characteristics to search outlook folders is a must feature for me. I thought when it was disabled that my outlook update failed and had problems with my repair. After the repair incident, I opened Request 30126-6381936 and worked with Deepack to restore this feature to my Outlook. This feature should have never been discontinued.

• Shaun Pope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where did advanced find/search go? I used that tool daily and now all of a sudden it is gone? Not happy about this. We pay for this program and this is one of the reason I like scheduling using Outlook, now my most used tool is gone. NOT COOL, MICROSOFT, NOT COOL.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PUT IT BACK IN! Who's ignorant idea was it to remove? Find that person and SHOOT HIM! (Of course I don't mean to truly shoot a person, just flog him - LOL.)

This is a great feature. I can't imagine ANYONE saying it's not needed or is broken.

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base