OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back Advanced Find to Outlook Search Tools

Starting with July-August updates Advanced Find option has been removed from Search Tools in Outlook 2016.

503 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Pirogovsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • M PATEL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we WAIT for this feature to be put back, I found a way to downgrade by Outlook 2016 Win 7 back to a previous version:

See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

For my install, I used V1705 Build 8201.2102 using the following:

Run CMD in Administrator Mode:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8201.2102

After letting the updates download etc, give it a few minutes, restart Outlook and you have your Ctrl+Shift+F search window back again.

I disabled Updates in the Office Account until I see the function has been restored.

I hope this helps, as without the function, I was finding I was spending double the time to work and find emails etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore advance search as it was. I used it to put in multiple search criteria, such as in calendar put on search for subject then another for date then another for location….

• wolterpuk@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...and one more thing: Why the heck you are not asking your users BEFORE you are taking away substantial funcitonality?! That sounds like the right way around.

more concrete:
    - search in subject field only or also messgae body - choice!
    - search emails From... and To...
    - searchemails with time options (anytime, yesterday, ect.) indlucing options what happen that time (received, sent, due etc.)
    - More choices: Categories. only items that are..., size (kBs)
    - Advanced tab with many more...
    Nowhere any near the main Outlook window offers same functionality. Also, what you guys do not understand at all, a such long year developped program is not to be reduced in functionality simply based on majority usage of users. Over the years INDIVIDUAL people taylor a program individually. Such a mighty function like Advanced Search is aboslutely unacceptable to be taken away, independently how mayn are using it. It will be always many enough because each user trusts the program which they are using over decades. Got that?! Probably not.

• Kevin Bean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am only able to run Auto-Archive in safe mode (and have been for a few years now despite getting 'advice' from Microsoft), now discover that the Advanced Search as been switched off !!!

• Gökhan Kaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't stop myself to write another note to Microsoft here.

Your claim about the usage statistics of this feature is probably correct.

But you have missed an important point, all those minority users are

1) They are power users by definition.

2) They are mostly likely executives like myself who are working with 20GB of email archive to do their daily job.

Now do you expect us to spend our day in that super tiny useless search box? Is that how you plan to keep your "powerful email" client title for businesses?

3) Last but not least, please note that this minority you call it, they are the ones with decision power on IT investments with above 2 reasons. They are probably the reason where we see Outlook in companies all over the world.

Best regards

Gokhan

• tommcg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It you do not restore Advanced Find, I would like a refund for my Office 2016 purchase. Please send me a link to the refund request process since you removed a paid-for feature I relied upon at the time of purchase.

• Eric Breton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use advanced search to make my timesheets and I have to do research on received and sent mails for a specific day

• Jennifer Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also do searches by date across multiple mailboxes with the ability to sort the results. It was very easy to make selections and not have to think about how to craft a search. I used this feature daily.

• GerryB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder how Microsoft quantify Advanced Find as little used? I agree it will be more likely to be used by those who really need it, but its removal is a real pain for those who do.

• Warty Bliggens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments posted below, and would only add that I am astonished that MSFT would remove the one feature that made Outlook so useful for individuals who need to manage thousands of current and archived emails.

Yar, boo, hiss!

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additional comments, the feature they replaced this with is a joke, all of the drop down lists make no sense!!! They ask what feature we like of advance find, my comment is all of them!!! I have used this feature for over 12 years and I can't work without it!!!! How could anyone make a decision like this, it's quite clear they never had to search through thousands of e-maisl to locate a certain item!!!!
    Please restire "Advance Find" before we all go crazy!!!!!!

Additional comments, the feature they replaced this with is a joke, all of the drop down lists make no sense!!! They ask what feature we like of advance find, my comment is all of them!!! I have used this feature for over 12 years and I can't work without it!!!! How could anyone make a decision like this, it's quite clear they never had to search through thousands of e-maisl to locate a certain item!!!!
    Please restore "Advance Find" before we all go crazy!!!!!!

MS has removed the most important feature of Outlook. Why would they ever do this. The "advance find" function is needed if you use Outlook as a real User!!!!! We must have this restored!!!

• M Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added advanced find to my quick access toolbar. It disappeared. The standard find feels like a black box to me where I'm not sure what it is searching for. With advanced find, I had a better sense of what I was searching for. I would like to have advanced find back.

bring that back quickly, please. this was one of the most powerfull and fastest features within outlook, used mayn times every day!!!

• Bernie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like all of the features you have taken away back please. All th esearch functions and Advanced Find.

Microsoft have sold me a product and then come and taken part away without warning. They also made me waste time searching for something I was using just then. Microsoft you did it without any warning.

This is really unreasonable behaviour by you.

If you were a car maker and said the passenger seats were "legacy" seats then jumped in my car and took them while I had it parked, that would be theft.

Please return the Search Function you sold me, I need it. Alternatively please pay me for the lost functionality and the cost of my time I will now be losing. You knew you would be making it more difficult for me when you say above "but not always as efficient". So I would like a share of the saving that are generating more profit to you at my expense.

Honestly I want compenation.

• Jan Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you to the Outlook team for reacting on this – though it does seem a little terrifying if you don’t have a clear view of the usage scenarios you break up, when you change the application.
    I teach people with a lot of email how to survive 30-200+ mails a day and this functionality is quite central to what we are teaching:
    First of all, if you get a lot of mail every day, it is hopelessly inefficient to move it to folders. Therefore we teach these power users to leave most of the mail in the inbox. For this to work, you become very reliant on the search to work fast and easy.
    Our preferred search method is to have “From”, “Subject”, “Body” and “Attachment contains” standard configured in the Advanced Find. This way you will typically be able to find what you are looking for by typing 3-4 letters in 2-3 fields. If this is not successful you can typically use one more field or input 1-2 extra letters – very easy, when all search fields are immediately visible.
    The primary search box does not fulfill this need because you need to click for each field you need to search in; for a slightly complicated search you can’t see the full search in the search field without scrolling and editing is really cumbersome.
    I also don’t see an easy way to search in an attachment or in the body of the mail – both are extremely useful.
    I see Advanced Find as a central feature in Outlook for anybody with medium to heavy use. Almost all my clients are greatly impressed with the function and almost all start to use it, when they know how it functions.
    A few suggestions:
    If you didn’t hide Advanced Find under the “More” button but maybe named it “SuperSearch” then I think a lot of users would start using it.
    Also: Why is the search field not as standard configured with the most used fields?

• M PATEL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a business that has 500 emails daily and 1,000s of emails, it is vital that we can easily search and find emails and filter etc. the advance search feature was FUNDAMENTAL to us, we use it every few minutes while on Outlook, having it removed has caused a big workflow delay and more time is required to undertake simple tasks.

Please bring it back or tell us how to downgrade the upgrade.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back advanced search! Why the **** would you remove such a useful feature?

Outlook 2016 for Windows: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base