OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back Advanced Find to Outlook Search Tools

Starting with July-August updates Advanced Find option has been removed from Search Tools in Outlook 2016.

502 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Pirogovsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • KenM. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the Recent Searches icon be coming back also? I had that icon in my Quick Access Toolbar, and used it often. My instant search box does not work reliably and this was my workaround.

• Mark Griffiths commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back being able to search quickly 'to' and 'subject'.

I'm also missing the ability to quickly search for emails with attachments.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You say there is an update to re-enable advanced find. I DO NOT SEE IT...

Where is the advanced find feature? Like with other Microsoft products (e.g. MS Edge's 'cast video to DLNA device' feature getting mysteriously taken away ever since Creators Update) you guys just have to break what's working well and drive users away.... very interesting...

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You say there is an update to re-enable advanced find. I DO NOT SEE IT...

Where is the advanced find feature? Like with other Microsoft products (e.g. MS Edge's 'cast video to DLNA device' feature getting mysteriously taken away ever since Creators Update) you guys just have to break what's working well and drive users away.... very interesting...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please being back being able to pin 'to' and 'subject' underneath the normal search for ease.

Please bring back being able to pin 'to' and 'subject' underneath the normal search for ease.

Bring back the 'more' button please! Although advanced find is back, it seems the 'more' button is not?

• David Farris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad you are bringing Advanced Find back. Good idea adding Advanced Find to the main outlook menu. I'm not surprised Advanced Find was not getting much use as you previously had to navigate through a secret passageway to get to it.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make search reliable without having to rebuild the index, tweak settings, etc. You could claim it as a new feature, it would be in my experience with Outlook...

• billclegg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you! Wondering - does MS not engage a focus or user group before making changes to programs? It would seem to be a standard practice, for sure...

• Paulo Meloni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ixi, dia 18-09-2017 estava corrigido o problema e hoje 19-09-2017 o Pesquisar já não está funcionando de novo. :(
    Como faço para corrigir???

• James Digby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a relief. Task now: reverse downgrade to earlier version of Office and re-enable updates

• M PATEL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frank - What build version have you got installed to have Advanced Find back again?

Is it for Outlook 2016?

• BobH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup, it's been restored, seeing it on several desktops. We don't see any new updates came in so that is really sneaky, Microsoft!

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You asked for feedback on features in Advanced Find that are not available in the primary search box today. One difference is there is a bug in primary search box that makes it difficult to use.

The search box (Ctrl -E) is not working properly for me. If I do a search, any search terms I enter into fields get stuck and can't be deleted after the search. I need to restart Outlook to clear the search terms I've entered. I am using Outlook 365. For example, if I enter "George" into the From: field and do a search to find emails from "George". "George" remains in the From field the next time I do Ctrl-E and can't be deleted. Please fix this. It has been broken since June.

Easiest way to set up DASL search terms using the Query Builder. Removing Advanced Find reduces Outlook functionality for no reason. Horrible decision.

• EWagz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! Advanced Finder is back.
    I do want to thank Microsoft for bringing it back.
    I still would like to take to task whoever at Microsoft made the decision to remove it in the first place. Obviously it was a programmer & not a business professional that has to actually use Outlook throughout the course of the day.
    HEY MICROSOFT!
    FYI, Outlook is already rigid enough so stop taking away things in it that actually work!
    See my (EWagz) comment on Page 2 for more at
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_2016/outlook-2016-advanced-find-functionality-has/1e49b3b2-0751-4362-8be0-84e3418cac56?auth=1

Feedback and Knowledge Base