OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back Advanced Find to Outlook Search Tools

Starting with July-August updates Advanced Find option has been removed from Search Tools in Outlook 2016.

503 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Pirogovsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • RJ Ruggiero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this stream but on MS Office 2016 (win7/win10) we are seeing and have reported issue that appears to be bug. When searching for emails from the search box, if you search for a word/name/chars that are WITHIN an email address, the search will not find the email in any mailbox. For example, in the email you are searching, if there is no display name and only an email address (example = johnsmith@abc.com). I.e., If you search for "smith" trying to find the prior email with the johnsmith@abc.com address, it will NOT find it. It will only find it if you enter "johnsmith@abc.com." This becomes an issue especially if you are copied on an email where the display name is not in the email, but just appears as the email address (as in prior example, johnsmith@abc.com). This is a bug as far as I am concerned!! Escalated case to Microsoft.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please fix the Advanced Find boxes... the ability to search specific parameters is super important

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After using a specific search like From or To the search can not be deleted or changed until you delete the whole criteria. This is a real PITA because I have set up search To: From: Body: Subject: and I have to delete the criteria every time and reselect it to use it again.

• Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the whole problem is it needs to go and use some other normal search is that search should find anything even "partial word searches" which is why everyone loves advanced find and search folders feature

• Tinush commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not able to do a quick search. I have to add search criteria from drop down in the menu. It is very time consuming. And after a search if I click any other folder on outlook, then the key word I used for search is not able to delete. I have to close the search criteria and then add it again from the tool bar.

• Motti Dahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fields on "More" are very useful and should not be removed. But there is a bug. writing text in these fields will be stuck without the option to delete it if moving for example from "inbox" to "sent item". fix it and search is just fantastic.

• Darin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "In Folder" field can be selected in Field Chooser or View Settings but after one or two searches the field disappears. Even after adding the field when you click "More," the search results defaults back to all the other fields showing except the "In Folder" I had just added. This appears to be a bug in Outlook. I've seen a few comments on this but I think it needs a Vote.

• Robert Lehrman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I very much agree with this comment.

"This is a critical part of Outlook. ... It was not broken and worked really well."

If you have some brilliant ideas for something similar or better -- great -- but if not, it will be a big step in the wrong direction. For those who pound on Outlook all day long, it can be very hard to find e.g., an email from about three years ago, about CDs, when those are the only real clues one can remember. I spent a big chunk of today doing just this, and it took hours to find the email, in part because this functionality is starting to break.

Typing a search term into a field works the first time but you can't change it. I get that it is a bug but please fix it.
    Also the recently searched pop up dropdown list gets in the way of typing new search terms into the fields. Come on guys, this is a valuable and critical piece of information management...namely the retrieval part.

• Justice Itsanin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yay!!! Thank you Outlook Team! And all you users who protested. Sanity prevails... in this small way at least.

• Mayumi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Recent Searches" and Fields on "More" are useful so it should not be deleted.

My Outlook 2016 is latest Current Channel Version 1707 (8431.2079) and connect to Exchange Online.
    "Recent Searches" and Fields on "More" disappear on latest CC Version 1707 last week. But these features come back Semptember 25th.
    Why do MS delete and come back features?

• Malcolm R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Show search results for the category in which search is requested.

When typing a name or word to search for in "inbox" display, emails in sent box are included in search results.
    2) keep info within columns - with information no longer retained within columns, this is making reviewing results difficult and unnecessarily time consuming. Outlook 2010 was much more efficient to use. Office 2016 is cluttered, has features an individual or small business will never use.

• M PATEL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office Version 1708 Build 8431.2079 for my Outlook 2016 Win 7, the feature is back. Just go to office, check for updates, and it should find it.

• Rahim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mine still has the advanced feature missing and it is very unproductive...can you please advise on what I can do to get the advanced search feature back?

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring this back. Invaluable for filtering emails. Why would you remove this? It wasn't haming anybody!

This is a critical part of outlook. Why was it removed. i spent 30min on the phone with support and they did nt know this was even removed. Why, Why Why..??? it was not broken and worked really well.

it is important user can set up there default search options so we can quickly find an email from 'Jim' to 'John' that contained the word 'site' sent between date A and B

Feedback and Knowledge Base