OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Provide a feature to cancel a recurring meeting with future meetings only in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Provide a feature to cancel a recurring meeting with future meetings only in Microsoft Outlook 2016 and don't want to lose the history on the Calendar.

1,140 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

KRistina Quick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

139 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to delete future events of a recurring event instead of "Delete the Series", which removes everything. Yes, this can be done by manually going into each event and setting an end date, but it would be faster to have this new feature.

It is really rather baffling that this isn't the default approach, but that it isn't even possible is beyond me. Just get this done, Microsoft! Now.

• Peter Bellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft - get off your high horse and listen to your community. Wholeheartely agree with Dallas "The tools I pay for need to function logically and improve my efficiency, not cause more problems".

• Dallas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments here. Having Outlook change past events when I update future meetings has caused problems for me for YEARS. Changing future meeting dates and content should NOT affect what's already occurred! And having to export as a .CSV and re-import, or cancel future meetings individually, is ridiculous. I'm a professional with a highly constrained schedule, I don't have time to muck around with this "duct tape" solution to make up for MS shortcomings. The tools I pay for need to function logically and improve my efficiency, not cause more problems

• Dallas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments here. Having Outlook change past events when I update future meetings has caused problems for me for YEARS. Changing future meeting dates and content should NOT affect what's already occurred! And having to export as a .CSV and re-import, or cancel future meetings individually, is ridiculous. I'm a professional with a highly constrained schedule, I don't have time to muck around with this "duct tape" solution to make up for MS shortcomings. The tools I pay for need to function logically and improve my efficiency, not cause more problems.

• Christina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. It is mind boggling that MS hasn't gotten this figured out yet. Google Calendar can allow edits tp be applied to the user's desire: current event, current and following events, or all events.
    This is basic...rarely do people need to apply changes to the past, only now and/or futures. I hope they get this figured out.

• Carla Mize commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this seriously not solved yet??? I set recurring 44 meetings anew each month to preserve the historical documentation. It is cripleing my productivity. My lousy free calendars can handle a forward edit. How much did we pay for 365 house-wide...???????

• Brent. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When cancelling a recurring meeting, would be better to cancel *future* instances of the meeting while retaining previous instances on the calendar. This enables the calendar entry to be retained as a record of the meeting while deleting future not-needed instances without having to delete each individually.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree! At times I need to change a recurring meeting for all meetings going forward, but when I make the change, it changes all meetings that have already happened in the past. It seems obvious to me that making a change to a recurring meeting should default to only changing the meetings in the future. Clearly you can't move a meeting that has already happened!

• Walden Leverich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "work around" of updating the invite is wholly inadequate, especially between organizations. It's not realistic for me to ask someone in another company to redo their "delete" as a change in schedule instead. And where there's no end-date how would we even manually delete all "future" occurrences, they go on forever. :-(

• Shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with this, but also edit should behave in the same way.

E.g. occurrence started from 1 Jan 2019, every Monday, on the 4th March, some attendees are removed, some are added.

Should be given the option to only impact future events. All previous changes (location, date/time, attendees) are unaffected.

(One of the best features of Gmail calendar is the inclusion of the "future events only")

• Shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with this, but also edit should behave in the same way.

E.g. occurrence started from 1 Jan 2019, every Monday, on the 4th March, some attendees are removed, some are added.

Should be given the option to only impact future events. All previous changes (location, date/time, attendees) are unaffected.

(One of the best features of Gmail calendar is the inclusion of the "future events only")

• Fred Stokkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need it since I started using Outlook. Since I started using OneNote in conjunction with Outlook, I need it even more because these tools maintain a mutual link when you use them in combination. When I stop a recurring meeting, the old adapted meetings are reverted to the originally scheduled meetings which in turn introduce inconsistencies with my minutes of meetings of these meetings. I hope Microsoft pays more attention to our user demand instead of inventing and introducing "user experiences" who nobody asked for.

Responding to Naveen "Looks like the outlook team don't have any plans to include this feature. Though I (one of the frustrated user) have voted for this feature, here is the link I came across - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Cancel-all-future-meetings-in-a-series-9EAEEE8C-BFE3-46A0-A092-9A2707F3B133. Outlook team suggests to Update the series with an end date rather than cancelling the entire series and loose history." the issue is that:
    HIstory is changed
    a. Deleted occurrences will be reinstated
    b. Changed meeting times will be reinstated to standard

It seems to show that Microsoft (or at least their product team or whoever it is that are responsible) don't even understand how their own product works (I use that term loosely).

• Naveen Manjunath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like the outlook team don't have any plans to include this feature. Though I (one of the frustrated user) have voted for this feature, here is the link I came across - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Cancel-all-future-meetings-in-a-series-9EAEEE8C-BFE3-46A0-A092-9A2707F3B133. Outlook team suggests to Update the series with an end date rather than cancelling the entire series and loose history.

• Susan K Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HATE THIS PROBLEM SO MUCH! I use my past calendar as a journal of what occurred, so when I need to stop or change a recurring appointment, I know that my history will be wiped out. SO STUPID! My Google calendar allows stopping future appts without losing a record of past ones. FIX IT! (Like anyone at Microsoft reads this)

Agreed and the most frustrating thing is I haven’t seen anyone from MS provide any commentary on plans or even an apology for this incredible and long lasting deficiency.

I just signed up for Microsoft Office 365 and am now using Outlook. I have been stunned to discover that I cannot delete recurring events going forward without wiping out these same recurring events in the past.

I am a clinical psychologist, and need the calendar record of my past meetings with patients. I meet with patients at regularly scheduled times, so I need to schedule recurring meeting times as an essential aspect of scheduling my professional life. However, people frequently call me to change their schedules and move their times to another day or time going forward. It is of course a necessity for me to preserve a record of past meetings for billing purposes, etc.

I am appalled to discover that if I delete a recurring patient meeting, all of my prior meetings with that patient are also deleted. This is a crazy and stunning shortcoming in the Outlook program.
    Wow, Microsoft! How could you?

I had switched from Google calendar to the Microsoft Outlook calendar. In Google calendar it was easy to delete future recurring meetings without deleting all the past recurrences of the same thread of meetings.

Absolutely appalling that Microsoft would not have placed this the very top of its fix list for this program. I guess I am going to have to migrate back to Google. That sucks!

Absolutely agree that this needs to be fixed! And a response from Microsoft would be much appreciated. A lot of people are waiting for this.
    Someone else had mentioned, which I completely agree: using a calendar is not just for future planning, but also to view past events and history. So this feature is very crucial for that.

One work-around I've been doing: set my recurring appointments for a shorter period of time (ex. a year), so I'm not having to "end" it. If any exceptions occur within the year, I can modify each appointment but i don't touch the end date, to avoid losing each meeting exception.

• a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a confusing way to phrase it, but the comments clear up what it means. This is definitely needed and always has been.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base