OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back sorting for All/Unread/Mentions and Arrange By quick sorting by Date, Size, etc.

In the latest update the view change to consolidate to a singular "All" dropdown that allows you to choose between the former All, Unread, Mentions and then to easily Sort with Arrange By. For many users the expanded view is preferred and more easily accessible. If that could be made a view option, or a toggle feature I think that would be a functionality improvement

Note from the Outlook Team: We have posted a Known Issue about this change with some explanation and possible solutions, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/All-Mail-and-Unread-Mail-tab-options-no-longer-show-in-Outlook-ecdfda13-bdc1-42e2-a77b-c18f6f291fe1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

1,055 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rebecca H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update from the Outlook team: We’ve brought back the All and Unread filters for the inbox folder, as well as made enhancements to the sorts and filters menu. As a note, Focused and Other pivots will take priority over All and Unread when opted in to Focused Inbox.

These changes should be available for all users with Version 1802 (Build 9001.2138) and above.

Cheers,
The Outlook Team

393 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - very frustrating. was thrilled to have the old function back and within a couple days it disappeared again. we run a family business and often need to sort emails to find a discussion thread. the new system with cumbersome. it was much quicker with just one click. bring it back PLEASE

The only possible explanation I could think for this revoking feature is the stupid Microsoft developers must have borked that release with more bugs. I feel like using all the profanity against the Idiot who approved this change in the first place and the second who decided to roll back that change.. Shame on you Microsoft

• Tom W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with these comments. PLEASE bring back the simplified approach to Arrange By. I was so happy to have it back for a scant two weeks. It's super frustrating to deal with the double drop-down to do a simple Arrange By task. PLEASE!

I recently got this feature back to my great pleasure, but it was a short-term joy because after the last update it's gone again.
    I even received a message (post update) where you thank me for my input to bring back this feature. Shortly after this you push out a new update, where you remove it again without notifying why? I don’t understand anything. What are you doing at Microsoft? I want to get back this function immediately. It is OK for me to have this a selectable feature in the option menu.

• Charles Kott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll pile on top of this commentary. Microsoft's removal of the simple re-sort functionality that used to exist in older versions of Outlook turned a process I use many times each day from a single step to multiple. Now each time I use Outlook I view this as a product fault. Like others, I celebrated the temporary return to the old configuration, only to be aggravated more by removal again. I strongly suggest this be changed back "one more time".

• Steve Fossey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, Seriously? You finally fixed something due to customers' demand and then unfixed it again? "Focused" inbox is useless, unless you're a non-thinker who is willing to let the machine decide. Make it 100% optional and leave the tools in place to make outlook efficient. I have 140 emails a day to deal with.

• Bill Hollins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few days ago the sort option reappeared, yet when you restarted Outlook it reverted to the poor multiple click way. So frustrating. A not very useful thread can be found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_o365b/missing-sorting-options-outlook-2016-v2/b31277c5-24f8-440c-a929-89e057a2e7ba?messageId=bb8ca55b-b073-4dcf-8c79-82ec85e3b0d2

Why has it disappeared? I was so happy to have it back and it has vanished after few days, so disappointing.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Arrange by" comes and goes! It returned with a fanfair about two weeks ago...now it's gone again. Get a grip Microsoft!

• Gabriel Majancik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has it disappeared? I was so happy to have it back and it has vanished after few days, so disappointing.

• Scott Baitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where did it go? It came back last week and this week it's gone again? All/Unread is probably my second most used feature in Outlook only bested by actually reading emails...

• Piroskha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what happened? Just saw
    "Email sorting made easy
    We heard you! For those of you who are not (yet!) using the Focused Inbox, we've brought back sorting options and the Unread filter above the message list."
    A few days ago and was so happy the sorting issue was solved but now the change has been undone :(

• Dave Easey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is all a bit confusing.
    On the Office Insider version I saw a month ago or so that it came back (the All/Unread option, the sort by pull down and the wasted space).
    Checking the MS 'What's new in Office' for Office Insiders page shows for Version 1802 (Build 9029.xxxx).:
    "Email sorting made easy
    We heard you! For those of you who are not (yet!) using the Focused Inbox, we've brought back sorting options and the Unread filter above the message list."
    Now in Office Insider version 1803 (build 9112.2004) it has gone again.
    Just to re-state my likes: Really like All/Unread, don't like the sort pull down and wasted space.
    We are all keen users, options for these things are clearly the best answer Microsoft.
    But Michael and Anonymous, for your comments about needing easy sort by time/date and from: can't you just click on the 'RECEIVED' and 'FROM' headers to do that?

• Shayban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By God there are over a million of us, and we still can't convince Micrzift to change its mind. We are not even worth their dollars.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Toggling between "sort by time" and "sort by from" is highly frequently used scenarios, and I think the PM should bring the shortcut back. You could simply look into the statistics of the frequency that user toggling between these two modes. MS often provides too many features that users never used, but ignore the most important scenarios.

I sort using the DATE and FROM categories constantly. I don't want a drop down box, I want a quick button right at the top to toggle back and forth between DATE and FROM. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base