OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back sorting for All/Unread/Mentions and Arrange By quick sorting by Date, Size, etc.

In the latest update the view change to consolidate to a singular "All" dropdown that allows you to choose between the former All, Unread, Mentions and then to easily Sort with Arrange By. For many users the expanded view is preferred and more easily accessible. If that could be made a view option, or a toggle feature I think that would be a functionality improvement

Note from the Outlook Team: We have posted a Known Issue about this change with some explanation and possible solutions, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/All-Mail-and-Unread-Mail-tab-options-no-longer-show-in-Outlook-ecdfda13-bdc1-42e2-a77b-c18f6f291fe1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

1,055 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rebecca H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update from the Outlook team: We’ve brought back the All and Unread filters for the inbox folder, as well as made enhancements to the sorts and filters menu. As a note, Focused and Other pivots will take priority over All and Unread when opted in to Focused Inbox.

These changes should be available for all users with Version 1802 (Build 9001.2138) and above.

Cheers,
The Outlook Team

395 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pietro Discenza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's great that you keep providing us updates, but when you make changes and remove the most efficient button in Outlook, I would like to know who amongst you people, decided that it would be a good idea to remove it.

PUT IT BACK!!!!!!

I guess the person(s) who made that decision do(es) not receive emails.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was the only buttom i used on outlook and you have removed it why?????????????????

First thing I noticed this morning is I have to go an extra step to change my sort by options for my inbox. Very unhappy as I toggle between sort by date and sender ALL THE TIME. Please fix this.

I hate the change. bring back the simple function to sort by from without all the extra productivity killing steps. an while your at it please terminate the individual(s) who made this change, they obviously are planted by a competitor trying to drive your customers away (and its really close to doing just that)

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using outlook 2016 for windows and sorting a large inbox showing messages format (not conversations) and already set as sorted by from, i used to single click on the first email in the inbox and then press a key or several appertaining to the first few letters of the actual name of the sender i am looking for and the inbox would automatically scroll to that location.

Now when using outlook 365 you don't appear to be able to do this anymore and the same sequence of events see you typing an email in the preview pane to the first entry on your inbox.

Furthermore, I've also noticed that when you single click on an email in your inbox and then select to sort them in from, or date order where in outlook 2016 it would sort and take you to that point in the inbox where that email was still selected and located, in 365 the sort takes you to the top of the list and you have to scroll down to find the email you pre-selected which has now been unselected.

• Mark Buntain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only is this another example of "MS Devolution", but the stated reason: "to accommodate space for the new Focused inbox" is specious!! Apparently the "designers" (using the term loosely!!) didn't look up from their cell phones long enough to understand 'us users' perspective. The space is available, at least provide the functionality to activate/de-activate the functions. Please correct!

• jfa hotm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got my "Upgraded laptop" and this is such a PRODUCTIVITY KILLER! I use the sort option 10-20 times per day. This extra clicking and mouse activity is such a pain in the butt! I agree with the others, a stupid change.

• Anker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back sorting for All/Unread/Mentions and Arrange By quick sorting by Date, Size, etc.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate to update, I always seem to come away with at least one less thing that I was using regularly.

Can understand the reason why you might want to remove it by default, but it seems like it should be a view option and not just disappear. I use this feature many times daily. I've implemented the workaround...which does work...but every time I switch computers I have to go find the thread that explained how to do that because it's pretty obscure.

• Dave Easey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Carsti, Anyone,
    For "Sort by Name/Date/Size" can't you just click on the FROM/RECEIVED/SIZE column headers?
    Repeating my vote for All/Unread at the top left (for all folders not just Inbox) but no wasted space.

• Carsti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, that's a pain. The only sort I ever do is switching between "Sort by Name" and "Sort by Date". Rarely "by Size." Eveything else behind that "All" is lost do me. I'm missing a) fast switch and b) the visual feedback that the sort button gave me on my current sort settings.

You couldn't find a better method of implementation for Focused than removing options from people who don't use Focused? That's terrible design and development.

Why do you guys continually remove things people want without giving them an option to continue to use it? There are so many times I want to punch you people in the face.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running version 1708 (Build 8431.2215 Click-To-Run) just updated, and this morning, voila, I have the right click menu back. I am a happy camper. But it came at the cost of losing the Focused and Other categorization.

Thank you

bring back the button... the space is there, it's quick, it does exactly what we need it to do .. why on earth replace it with something more complex that needs more reading to understand and slows us down?

• Nelana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please leave sorting and unread buttons, it was very useful, but lasted so sort... somebody must be fired from Microsoft

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base