OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve your Desktop Outlook 2016 experience?

Bring back sorting for All/Unread/Mentions and Arrange By quick sorting by Date, Size, etc.

In the latest update the view change to consolidate to a singular "All" dropdown that allows you to choose between the former All, Unread, Mentions and then to easily Sort with Arrange By. For many users the expanded view is preferred and more easily accessible. If that could be made a view option, or a toggle feature I think that would be a functionality improvement

Note from the Outlook Team: We have posted a Known Issue about this change with some explanation and possible solutions, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/All-Mail-and-Unread-Mail-tab-options-no-longer-show-in-Outlook-ecdfda13-bdc1-42e2-a77b-c18f6f291fe1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

1,055 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rebecca H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update from the Outlook team: We’ve brought back the All and Unread filters for the inbox folder, as well as made enhancements to the sorts and filters menu. As a note, Focused and Other pivots will take priority over All and Unread when opted in to Focused Inbox.

These changes should be available for all users with Version 1802 (Build 9001.2138) and above.

Cheers,
The Outlook Team

397 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Vasanth Venkatachalam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back.

Instead of displaying folder name, filters must be displayed.

By the way, why does is working only for Inbox folder!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us "All" and "Unread" in every folder. But more important: Please just use 1 row for this, at the moment there is a big waste of space.

the subfolders do not have the All Unread tab. How to get them back for subfolders?

FFs, can we please have an option to HIDE this? I don't understand why you have to go to either extreme.

Just make it bloody optional from the view menu! I now have a huge chunk of white space at the top of my folders wasted by this filter bar that I never use.

• Daniel Amaral commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the option to have 'Mention' at the top of emails alongside 'All' and 'Unread'. Frustrating that I now have a two-step process to action instead of just the one.

• Francis Vivi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's July 30 2018 and I don't have the All / Unread selector in any subfolders I create. This is important for me because I use rule to route any messages from anyone I know to be important into a white-list folder.
    I've been defending email in general and Outlook in particular with skeptical colleagues who think email is old-fashioned. One of my arguments was that Outlook allows you to customize your environment to your needs: 0-1-2 lines of summary, Reading pane / no reading pane, etc. Having bit lopped off the interface, spending an hour on Google finding out it was on purpose, and not being able to add them back in is frustrating.

How? I still can't find removing the All, Unread ! My version 1803 !! You IDIOTS !! Really Sucks !!!! >> Update from the Outlook team: We’ve brought back the All and Unread filters for the inbox folder, as well as made enhancements to the sorts and filters menu. As a note, Focused and Other pivots will take priority over All and Unread when opted in to Focused Inbox.

These changes should be available for all users with Version 1802 (Build 9001.2138) and above.

Cheers,
    The Outlook Team

• Dave Easey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the below:
    1. Please shown UNREAD in every folder not just the Inbox. You give us the capability of using rules to move email to different folders on receipt so it is only consistent to do this.
    2. Ideally don't waste the space

To user below, why not just click on the RECEIVED header to sort by received date?

Ok, now that you've added All and Unread and a bunch of white space to the Window again, have you left an option for toggling this option off altogether?

Not everyone wants a bunch of wasted space! Makes me wonder about designers sometimes...

[Blank space ] [Search box]
    All | Unread [ Blank space ] Filter

• Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just don't care about this. But does this need to be implemented consuming one full line of space between the search box and the actual email table?!
    Can't this stupid widget be positioned in the same level as the search box to make proper use of the screen?

All | Unread | [Search box ] | Filter

Instead of

[Blank space ] [Search box]
    All | Unread [ Blank space ] Filter

Please bring back the option to have 'Mention' at the top of emails alongside 'All' and 'Unread'. Frustrating that I now have a two-step process to action instead of just the one.

Can this be customizable? I'd like to be able to set it to my choice of 3 - All, Unread, Drafts or any of the sort by items like Attachments or Categories.

Please bring back the one click change from sort by Date to sort by From
    (or is there some way I can get back that functionality?)
    used to be 1 click, now it is buried in a submenu and takes much more time to perform this (incredibly useful) sort

Please bring back the Unread folder on our other folders we create. When you get hundreds of emails a day and belong to several work groups and have rules setup, not everything gets distributed in my INBOX. I am tired of having to do a search and the click on Unread and then it does not always find all the unread email. I have so much more work now I have to do to keep my Outlook organized .
    Since you did this all for at Focused feature that is really ridiculous. Please put it back and stop fixing things that are not broke Microsoft and fix the things that are. Thanks!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do i STOP my inbox from having an "all" folder and an UNREAD folder? i do not want an UNREAD folder as it means they are not in my ALL folder and i keep missing emails!

• Keith Anselm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just back to Inbox? This should be on every folder. I normally filter any message that mentions my SMTP address explicitly to a "to me" folder - that's everything I read first.

I don't understand how Focused Inbox sorts things, and I have about 3 or 4 dozen email rules sorting messages in a way that's under my control and that I understand. Inbox is the folder for all unclassified messages that are probably junk. Unless there's a way to get really fine-grained control over Focused Inbox, it's mostly useless to me.

Outlook 2016 for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base